ironmang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi,

I just started my wii and its going to a black screen, the wii controller works to turn it on, but the controller does not connect to show a single led lit up. I dont get to any menu or warning screen. Blue light from the dvd drive comes on when turning it on.

Its been ages since it was hacked, but i think it has a bootmii but not on boot2, and no priiloader and no NAND back up.

Holding down reset while powering on does not do anything, removing the SD card also does not change anything.

I didn't make any changes to anything on my SDCARD since it last worked.

Is this more likely a hardware issue or a data corruption issue?

if it is hardware i've read the Bluetooth module can frequently be the problem, given I can turn on my wii with teh controller--does that rule out the Bluetooth module?

thanks!

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you don't own a copy of your own nand there's almost nothing you can do.

I'm not sure if a hardware error.such as the Bluetooth can cause a Wii to die.

What was the last thing you did with your wii and when?

ironmang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't touched anything on the sdcard since before COVID but I have been playing it every weekend without issue.

I don't remember exactly, but before covid I updated my ios and usb loader but its been working fine for months

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I should point out that when i start it up the TV does get a signal, its just a black screen. My cables work are not a problem either.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of something like this with ps3 where you can turn the system on with the controller but then it won't connect. I think it's possible to fix a corrupted nand with no backup, but there's like very few who can do it. I think it involves replacing the nand chip. Costly and difficult that it's not worth it.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The thing is that "touched nothing on sd" won't likely be the problem.
A wii will work with/without sd card.

I also lack a profound knowledge on cios, but if you recently "updated cios" it's probable you touched something without knowing

We can't know because you obviously can't use syschwck to post a cios report.

This sounds like a banner brick or a semibrick at the very least.
Lemme check some things.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

YOU SURE YO CAN'T GET INTO PRIILOADER WHILE HOLDING RESET BEFORW TURNING ON YOUR WII??

ironmang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't recently update the cios, it was months ago since i've touched anything.

I dont have priiloader

Is there any way to extract my save files?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't recently update the cios, it was months ago since i've touched anything.

I dont have priiloader

The only ways I know of to extract saves require the system to boot. They're save manager gx and normal copying. Gx works even for copy protected saves.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I dont have priiloader

You worried more about save files?
:unsure:

I don't remember exactly, but before covid I updated my ios
Updating ios can cause a banner brick because more likely it modified system ios.
Your possible solution is to reinstall a completely new NAND (downloadable) but you need bottmii in order to do that.
The other solution is to restore *nand but you don't have priiloader or nand backup.

So, yes, more likely you're done with your wii.

ironmang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating ios can cause a banner brick because more likely it modified system ios.

Is this likely if i updated cios months ago and have been using it for months without issue? This is why I was asking if this is more likely a hardware issue. I've read numerous posts where it's been suggested my symptoms are related to the bluetooth module or the wifi module, both of which can be easily replaced.

You worried more about save files?
:unsure:

If the device is bricked, I'd consider buying a new one if theres a way to extract my save files, if not, i might go ahead an upgrade and get a switch...

Reactions: JuanMena

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is this likely if i updated cios months ago and have been using it for months without issue? This is why I was asking if this is more likely a hardware issue. I've read numerous posts where it's been suggested my symptoms are related to the bluetooth module or the wifi module, both of which can be easily replaced.

If the device is bricked, I'd consider buying a new one if theres a way to extract my save files, if not, i might go ahead an upgrade and get a switch...

Looked that up and yes, it's very possible.
Although honestly this is the first time hearing about this.

Uh-huh. Try changing the Bluetooth module as the site I read about this guy with the same problem said that this solved the problem

How weird it is that bluetooth kills hardware :huh:

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hi,

I just started my wii and its going to a black screen, the wii controller works to turn it on, but the controller does not connect to show a single led lit up. I dont get to any menu or warning screen. Blue light from the dvd drive comes on when turning it on.

Its been ages since it was hacked, but i think it has a bootmii but not on boot2, and no priiloader and no NAND back up.

Holding down reset while powering on does not do anything, removing the SD card also does not change anything.

I didn't make any changes to anything on my SDCARD since it last worked.

Is this more likely a hardware issue or a data corruption issue?

if it is hardware i've read the Bluetooth module can frequently be the problem, given I can turn on my wii with teh controller--does that rule out the Bluetooth module?

thanks!

I had this problem with my wii, but I had priiloader and nand backup.

I was not able to recover it, besides being able to use it to run homebrew (emulators and nintendont) with gc controller, even a new bluetooth module didnt ressurected it properly.

But would be my advise, maybe a new bluetooth module will work for you, I bet you can find cheap in shopee, aliexpress or ebay.

ironmang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this other thread that confirmed that if it was a bluetooth issue, I would not be able to start the wii with my wiimote(which I can) and if it was the wifi module that was a problem, the screen would not even have a signal. So I'm guessing even these hardware modules aren't my problem and it's fubar :(

From another thread:

Hi, i have a Wii which is taken apart and i thought i would test a couple of things for you. The wii will turn on but show nothing (not connected screen displays on my LCD) if both, wifi and bluetooth modules are removed. It will turn on and show a black screen if the wifi module is plugged in and bluetooth removed.
And it will show nothing (not connected screen displays on my LCD) if the bluetooth module is plugged in and wifi is removed. So my guess is check the bluetooth module as this may be the cause of your ploblems.

And also Nintendo will probably just send it back unrepaired as it is softmodded.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I found this other thread that confirmed that if it was a bluetooth issue, I would not be able to start the wii with my wiimote(which I can) and if it was the wifi module that was a problem, the screen would not even have a signal. So I'm guessing even these hardware modules aren't my problem and it's fubar :(

From another thread:
Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ironmang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't plan to send it in for repair if I had some confidence it was the bluetooth or wifi modules, those are a few bucks and pretty easy to get to.

So I'm assuming now I have some boot / NAND or other corruption

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr