Bricked at startup

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by nailug, Mar 8, 2018.

1. nailug
    OP

nailug Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    France
    Hello all,

I installed CBHC 2 weeks ago on a 5.5.2 E Wii u. I bought legitimate DS game Dr Kawashima from nintendo shop and everything went fine.
    The console was set on auto "system menu" boot. I installed a few games on a usb hdd. And a few smaller games on the system memory (NAND), with the help of wup installer gx.

But when I turned it on 1 hour ago, directly after a few seconds at startup, it displays the message "There is a problem with the System memory" with code 160-0103. I can't even access the menu.
    I never installed ftpii; I only installed games, retroarch, and paint homebrew (on the nand).
    The last thing that I've done on the console before it's bricked was running hom to homebrew launcher 1.4, then nnupatcher, the go to the nintendo shop; I watch a video of mario tennis ace (on nintendo switch), then I returned on the home screen, and I turned off the console by pressing the power button on the gamepad.

Now it is bricked and there is no way to reach the menu anymore. I tested my sd card and the hdd before posting a message here, they're fine.
    Anyone could guess how is it possible that my console have such a problem?

I do not recommend anyone to install CBHC on his console since the procedure to unbrick from this point is such a pain.
    For my part, I didnot made a backup before installing cbhc.

Thanks for your advices/infos

2. nailug
    OP

nailug Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    France
    I precise that I used the custom dns in the wifi network config

3. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    If you didn't make a nand backup (as suggested in EVERY CBHC guide) then you're hosed. Sorry. Lesson learned

brunormalmeida and KiiWii like this.
  4. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    In retrospect there's only 2 things I can think of that might have caused it.

1. Nand corruption. Hardware error

2. You did something to the NNID (removed it or something) that is tied to HaxChi when you logged into the eshop. Remember CBHC is just a coldboot method to "click" HaxChi for you. If you somehow mess up HaxChi then you brick your Wii u

KiiWii likes this.
  5. vladik4kides

vladik4kides Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2015
    That is why it is much safer to just use HaxChi without CBHC and it's also much safer to install anything non-legit onto USB to keep your sysnand as clean as possible.

6. nailug
    OP

nailug Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    France
    Thank you for your reply/comments.

This is correct that I may have changed the NNID after having installed CBHC; I created a new one since the previous one was for a children; I remember that I paid Dr Kawashima with the NNID of the child.
    I did not know that simply returning on the nintendo shop (with nnu patcher), after having changed the user and NNID will mess with CBHC. This would be great to be confirmed.
    I had put the replaced legit game in a "don't touch folder" and it had never been touched.

If I get a new wii U, I also will install only on USB, as suggested.
    If someone from France is interested, I can send him the bricked Wii u with the gamepad in perfect condition for 40€ shipping included.

7. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Yes, This is known. One of the first things that eShop does, around the time that it's showing the slot machine, is to delete/create tickets based on the console's associated NNIDs. When you delete an ID, the tickets associated with that ID's purchases won't get deleted until you visit eShop. Once the ticket for your CBHC game is gone, the game can't start anymore.

nailug and godreborn like this.
  8. nailug
    OP

nailug Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    France
    Thank you nexusmtz. I like to understand.

I would like to say that, in EVERY CBHC guide (like Kafluke wrote), nowhere it is warned that deleting the nintendo account used to buy the VC game will delete the replaced game and brick the console.
    (when returning to the shop)

9. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    In the "Infos" section in my cbhc thread it specifically lists this:
    Do NOT delete the user profile you used to buy the DS VC since that will make it not properly licensed anymore on your console.
    Guess some guide writers didnt properly include all the important info on the do nots I list, thats too bad...

10. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Why did you delete it? You can have multiple NNID's per console.

11. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    This is why I am sticking to Haxchi.. & not bothering with cbhc

12. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    so you deleted the nnid of the cbhc buyer and expected it too work...

13. nailug
    OP

nailug Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    France
    I deleted it because it was the son's account of the seller of the console, with age limitation. I did not remember that I made the payment with this first account, the password was changed first. I remembered after the brick, trying to understand, with your help guys. I did not know what will be the consequence too. Everything was working fine until I go to the shop. A mistake.

Last edited by nailug, Mar 12, 2018
  14. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    While reading this ... I have only one user/NNID on my console but thinking of the far future I'll have a nice son for sure and I'll share my Wii U with him. If I add another user, will the Haxchi game will be usable for him as well?

15. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    It will be fine. Just don't delete the NNID that you used to purchase the DS game for HaxChi

16. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    So a different user (that in fact "doesn't own the Haxchi game") can launch it as well?

17. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    yes

lordelan likes this.
  18. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    I specifically made sure to test CBHC with multiple users, actually had to add some special code for it to get it to work perfectly.

lordelan, comput3rus3r and KiiWii like this.
  19. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    Yeah seriously, how lazy can you be that you don't want to launch haxchi yourself to avoid any issues?

not saying you had a choice since apparently you bought the wiiu with coldboot haxchi but i've seen others choose this path only to brick their systems.

Last edited by comput3rus3r, Mar 12, 2018
  20. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    Lazy ? it takes 10 seconds to load wtf are you waffling about ?....