Homebrew RELEASE Brew.js - Make homebrew apps with JavaScript!

DBA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good news, I'll try again porting v8 to use it instead of duktape. V8 is Google's JS engine, and the one Chrome and Node use. This means porting Node itself would be even easier, and more likely. (Can you imagine it? npm and node running on our switch...)
I'll start working on it tomorrow.
You may open many many many doors this way ;) Great decision

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
I've had some problems porting v8, so I'll leave it for the moment. Now I'm extending its functionality: I'm working on an easier external module support like node and npm have, plus more stuff and modules. Be sure that I'm going to rebuild graphics API, by I want to make it for C++ first. Same with IPC commands, I'm working on a easier way to call them.
I've been also thinking about sysmodules and JS execution: making JS sysmodules, executing it in the background like sysmodules...

Reactions: Thetoto

Jay Griggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I get an exception. Its usually on a line that doesn't exist. Example 75 lines of code in Source.js
I get an exception on line 98. Is there something I'm missing?

XorTroll

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
When I get an exception. Its usually on a line that doesn't exist. Example 75 lines of code in Source.js
I get an exception on line 98. Is there something I'm missing?
That's pretty strange tbh, I must remember that duktape engine, the JS internal interpreter, doesnt fully support es5, and only a few stuff of es6.

Jay Griggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty strange tbh, I must remember that duktape engine, the JS internal interpreter, doesnt fully support es5, and only a few stuff of es6.
No actually that would make perfect sense. Been doing JS along time but when the new stuff comes out I adopt quickly. "let" for example.

Ownzor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bloody beginner here. Do I get this right? With the brew_embed I can turn my js code into an nro file? If so, is it hard to learn or is there a working snippet?

XorTroll

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Hey guys, I'm working on Brew.js right now, and I'm trying to finish it for this week. Some features 1.1 version will have: console object returns, completely remade embeddable libs, improved GUI, added Result class, performance lightly boosted... For 1.2 or even 2.0 there's some stuff planned: IPC commands, external module support like Node's node_modules, maybe a module getter like npm...

Briefly, Brew.js has just started! And, of course, I haven't forgotten 3ds version...

Jay Griggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For my first project I did a simple asteroids game to get a feel for things. Still having a weird error on a non existent line every now and then but oh well... I guess the lesson is to not have errors:wink:. The game is almost done but Is there an input to control the sticks?

Reactions: lordelan

Jay Griggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more the merrier! I come from a web background with little bit of C#. It feels like brew.js is fighting me every step of the way, it's probably user error. Anyway I'm hoping to have this done soon so I can build something a little more complex. Brew.js seems like a hell of a platform to be in its infancy. 80FPS with absolutely no issues. I love the fact that it almost scales perfectly from tablet to docked!

Attachments

• SwitchAstroids.jpg
    SwitchAstroids.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 194

XorTroll

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Btw, I've also started working on a way more experimental Brew.js, extending more the API, as I've learned what is duktape capable of.
When it gets stable I'll publish it as a 2.0 version, the versions from 1.1 until 2.0 gets released will have extra but fixes or new additions.
I plan to simplify the way everything is loaded or interpretated: built-in modules will be created inside code, what means no romfs libs, also the API will be able to be extended with more modules.
And good news, for the moment it's going quite well!

Reactions: lordelan

XorTroll

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Hey guys!
I know it's been a while, and I had 1.1 version almost ready, but some issues started appearing with SDL2 module, so these days I've been working on the new experimental version. It works perfectly now, and I'll probably release it. It will take me a while to release it, but it will be released for 3 platforms: Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS. These are some advantages it has: it goes even faster, better error parsing, more complete API, and no romfs for Brew.js libs.
The libs detect the OS automatically, using some macros defined in Makefiles!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr