Brawl texture hack prject shut down by Nintendo

maxdaling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Way to go Nintendo. They ignore all the other hacks out there but stuff a lawsuit in the face of some artists trying to make some extra textures that, in some points Nintendo should have done in the first place (Mr.L for example). It was a fun idea that I was excited to be a part of. I'm a nintendo fanboy at heart, but they just went down a few pegs in my book.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Trolly said:
Aha, it wasn't lame, and it would've been nice to try them out. However, I have to say I'm not gonna cry over it. Most of them were only partial hacks that looked slightly what they were trying to make.

As for Nintendo shutting them down, I'm very surprised. How would they manage to find them on the whole of the web, and why shut down such a minor thing while there are sites hosting backup loaders and such?
Also, is hacking a game legal or illegal? The 3D CT remake was breaking SE's copyrights, but what exactly is this hack harming?

Wasn't the hack using copyrighted character names and images?

Also, the hack itself might not be illegal.. but.. is there a legal way to use the hack?
tongue.gif

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
Heran Bago said:
I had a feeling that group would never release anything. This is as good of an excuse as any. Oh well.
I also had a vague suspicion about a release never happening. Remember the "homebrew web browser" that was just an April fools. I think it was called Gnrlfeo or something.

This is one huge hoax, Nintendo never shut anything, or cared to shut anything.

I once asked ragnarook how we would apply these patches, and he gave me an unsure anwser.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd thought Nintendo would have better things to sue.

The only reasons for the team to lie would be that they couldn't find a way that worked to implement these things or they ran out of time.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Lesdrian said:

The only reasons for the team to lie would be that they couldn't find a way that worked to implement these things or they ran out of time.
That seems the most plausible thing.

Really, I haven't EVER seen Nintendo shut down anything.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Lesdrian said:

What about MiiEditor?
If the site still there... explaining the case: http://miieditor.com

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still think Nintendo has nothing to do with this and they're just looking for an excuse to either abandon it or reveal it was a giant hoax. Why would Nintendo let the huge Mother 3 translation project, which Reggie has gone on record of acknowledging go on, and shut down a simple retexture pack?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
alex said:
raulpica said:
Lesdrian said:

What about MiiEditor?
If the site still there... explaining the case: http://miieditor.com
Ok. That's the ONLY thing I've ever seen shutdown by Nintendo
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Gaisuto @ Dec 22 2008, 05:08 PM)
I still think Nintendo has nothing to do with this and they're just looking for an excuse to either abandon it or reveal it was a giant hoax. Why would Nintendo let the huge Mother 3 translation project, which Reggie has gone on record of acknowledging go on, and shut down a simple retexture pack?
+1. What you're saying is more than correct.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Someone had mentioned Square Enix didn't like that Cloud was in there. But I don't know if that is true, maybe other companies were complaining?

Gaisuto said:
You know, thinking about that, translating Mother 3 to English in the US themselves(Nintendo) would have made money, but they still didn't shut it down... Hmm...

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I really, REALLY hope that this is not a hoax, because that would be cruel to the fans. Why would they need to lie about this? I'm not saying I'm friends with Raganook and the team nor do I know them personally, but I just don't think they'd be... well, douchebags enough to do this.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's likely that this project is a hoax just to get people's hopes up. I don't really care either way whether this got released or not because I'm happy with the graphics that the game already has, but I can understand that fans really wanted this and will probably never get it. And yeah, I have never heard of Nintendo shutting anything down (Minor stuff at least, besides the Mii editor). One reason they might've done so this time is probably because the texture hacks included many copyright infringements and Nintendo might have to pay for the consequences since SSBB is their property.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
Heran Bago said:
I had a feeling that group would never release anything. This is as good of an excuse as any. Oh well.
I also had a vague suspicion about a release never happening. Remember the "homebrew web browser" that was just an April fools. I think it was called Gnrlfeo or something.

That wasn't some kind of hoax, it was just ChuckStudios having some fun on April Fool's.

And I call complete bull on Nintendo shutting them down. It just doesn't make sense. It would have made a little more sense if they had said one of the other companies/conglomerates/whatever didn't like that they were using their copyrighted material. Nintendo MAY be patching their system, but the RARELY shut down projects or threaten law suit. As was said before, the Mother 3 translation patch was FAR more threatening to Nintendo as they would lose money if they ever planned on releasing it in the states AND it got a lot more press. There weren't tens of thousands of people flocking to the texture hack website and ]EE[ wasn't sending things to Nintendo, etc. It doesn't add up, at all.

How about we grow up and just fess up the real issue, hm?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: +2