Brawl texture hack prject shut down by Nintendo

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Dec 22, 2008.

Dec 22, 2008
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Unbelievable...simply unbelievable. Syntax Error, commonly abbreviated as ]EE[, was a group of texture hackers that dedicated themselves to creating alternate costumes for the popular fighting game 'Super Smash Brothers Brawl'. The team spent months and months working non-stop, dishing out amazing texture hacks, from Mysterious Mr.L to Old Snake, they had cameos from several popular shows and games.

After countless weeks of work and over 50 custom textures, the team was ready to release their patch to the public. The patch was supposed to be released yesterday, 12/21 (I think). However, when trying to access the site, and error would appear. Users from all over the world were denied access to the site, and everyone came rushing to Stack Smash, a sort of 'sister site' to ]EE[.

This is an article found at the time of all this happening at Stack Smash:

"Alright, the story from ]EE[ is that they ran into some technical difficulties. They have some suspicions regarding the matter but the short and sweet version is that the patch will unfortunately not be released.

Syntax Error is sorry they couldn't release their hard work but sadly it could not happen, the circumstances were out of their hands.

They also want it made clear that their only intention, ever, was to spark interest in the game and pay homage to various characters, nothing more. Releasing everything to the public was meant to be as a sort of gift for the fans but as mentioned, this couldn't happen.

They appreciate the support of the fans through all of this and hope you have enjoyed what they brought to the game."

It was apparent that the patch would not be released, but the reason was not clear. The following day, it was made clear what the reason for ]EE['s downfall was.

"Yes, Nintendo did indeed try to nail them with a lawsuit. Hacks are important but your life/career is more-so."

Nintendo decided to shaft the artists who took so much time and effort to bring a new light to their popular fighting game. Stack Smash has been forced to relocate to a different server for fear of being attacked by Nintendo. As mentioned in their blog, they DO have access to all of ]EE['s texture hacks, but cannot release them as they are, because if the textures are leaked, Raganook (one of the main spokespersons of ]EE[) would take the blame for it.

Source at Stack Smash
    Syntax Error site

2. Quanno

Member Quanno GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Woh...that's hard man,
    If nintendo reacted some earlier, They wouldn't made all these textures
    And just on the very last day, the site is closed. Man, that really sucks.

3. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Meh. Typical Nintendo.

4. RetroVortex

Newcomer RetroVortex Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Those bastards!
    I mean, at least with Square Enix shutting down that awesome Chrono trigger remake, they did it before they got very far, but Nintendo, that is so low.
    Its like those artisits were explorers climbing a huge mountain, putting all that effort in for self achievement, and Nintendo is the bastard who took a helicopter to the top of the mountain, so he could push them off when they reached the top!

5. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    If we hadn't been waiting in such anticipation and hadn't been so close to release it would not be so bad but to let them get around to the eve of launch and then cancel. Cold Nintendo. Cold.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Game on Nintendo, game on.

7. Galacta

Member Galacta >:)

Australia
    I think they want Hacking to stop in this world. But... This is
    PATHETIC!

Nintendy, youve lost their dreams and what they do! Its shattered!

Where they are going to work now? Eh?

Im just starting to dislike Nintendo, for the
    Crap Games (Wii Music)
    and shutting down the things that saves peoples money!

Nintendo is like the Gamers Economic Financial Crsis!!!!!!

[​IMG]

8. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    I had a feeling that group would never release anything. This is as good of an excuse as any. Oh well.

9. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I also had a vague suspicion about a release never happening. Remember the "homebrew web browser" that was just an April fools. I think it was called Gnrlfeo or something.

10. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    WHAT? this is bullshit!

Just look at the THOUSAND OF HACKS there is for Wii / NDS / every NINTENDO CONSOLE!!

This is complete bullshit, they just wanted some internet fame thats all. Nintendo never did anything like this, this is just another Zelda:OOT 2D syndrome.

1º show some picture
    2º get attention
    3º ?????
    4º Nintendo sued we closed

11. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    someone should just mail nintendo and hope for an answer than we would know for sure -.-

no use flaming one of both sides ... or maybe even both ? XD

12. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    You hate them for fighting piracy!? That's like hating a store for having a security guard [​IMG]

I don't like when this kind of stuff happens, but they do have a point here, the only way to play this thing would be to have a modded Wii or using some backup loader.. and that's piracy [​IMG]

Square shutting down the CT 3D remake was much worse imo..

edit: btw.. this is weird, Nintendo has never done nothing about DS hacks, the Homebrew Channel, the Mother 3 translation.. and they close down an obscure project like this. Sounds like an excuse to me..

13. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Yeah, it's impossible to prove the team isn't just faking it. They've made more effort to put off releasing files than actually releasing them.

There's still that other texture hack project, right?

14. Dylaan

Member Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    This blows, hard! [​IMG] This was meant to be the finale of Wii 'related' things for this year... Hopefully they can work something out, but it's unlikely eh... RIP guys.

15. JDandy

Member JDandy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Go Nintendo!
    These texture hacks looked shitty, to be honest, and the ideas were lame. Nothing of value was lost when Nintendo shut them down.
    (I mean, seriously? DUR HUR IKE WITH BLOND HAIR OH EMM GEE NOW I CAN B CLOD STRIPE IN BRAWL!!!11!)
    Now, had they been doing something worthwhile, like a texture IMPROVEMENT hack, I'd see the outrage/sadness. But this was just lame, and I'm happy to see it go.

16. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Kid, you try and do better, otherwise STFU.

17. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Aha, it wasn't lame, and it would've been nice to try them out. However, I have to say I'm not gonna cry over it. Most of them were only partial hacks that looked slightly what they were trying to make.

As for Nintendo shutting them down, I'm very surprised. How would they manage to find them on the whole of the web, and why shut down such a minor thing while there are sites hosting backup loaders and such?
    Also, is hacking a game legal or illegal? The 3D CT remake was breaking SE's copyrights, but what exactly is this hack harming?

18. Pharrox

Newcomer Pharrox Member

United States
    For those of you saying that this was all one one big hoax...what?

Why would they go through all the trouble of making those textures if there was never any plan to release them. I wrote the original hack, but they have done a lot of research to expand on it and have solved a lot of problems that I was never able to look into. They released an updated guide to inform others of all the new things they had discovered. There is legal basis for this on Nintendo's part, as stupid as it may be. I am working on ways around this, but whether Syntax Error chooses to pursue it is really up to them.

Really we don't know much at this point. It could all just be one big scare tactic on Nintendo's part. It wouldn't be the first time.

19. Agent M

Newcomer Agent M Member

United Kingdom
    Jeez Nintendo you really managed to piss on the fans this time, your like a wimpy bully that can't pick on bigger people (the backup loader, twilight hack and such)
    so you pick on someone who really had faith and put sooo much effort and work and too make it worse they attack on release date F**K you Nintendo i used to really like.

So thank you ]EE[ you have inspired many we are all very grateful you had much potential

20. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Upload patch on P2P networks... Distribution problem solved.