BrainDump .CXI File Still Decrypted.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TedHadler, Mar 12, 2018.

1. TedHadler
    OP

TedHadler Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I could never find a 3DS rom website which didn't look dodgy so i thought it would be better to actually make the rom myself using the BrainDump homebrew software. I tested it with Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and BrainDump worked great till i tried to use it on Citra. It said that the game still needed to be decrypted using a real 3DS. When i googled it most solutions required GodMode9 ( i think that it's name) where as I'm only using Cubic Ninja to get homebrew, and other methods were for .CIA files but mine is a .CXI FILE so is there a solution which works for .CXI files and doesn't require me downloading CFW?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out ;)

2. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Use godmode9 to generate a .3ds file

Ryccardo likes this.
  3. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    Nope, you'll need either CFW or download your roms from some site on the internet.

4. Craftyawesome

Craftyawesome Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2018
    United States
    He said he doesn't want to download cfw.

I'm fairly sure braindump's cxis are decrypted. Maybe try redumping it? I'm not sure if this is actually a thing, but maybe the newer citra versions need a better header than the false one from braindump or something? Try an ancient version of citra.

5. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    Braindump does not make complete 1:1 copies of the game. I doubt user will get citra working with these dumps. The only reliable way to dump/decrypt game roms is to use a tool with ARM9 access. Such as Godmode9.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Btw if youre on a firmware with an ARM9 kernel exploit you can do this without installing CFW. But im guessing youre also on the latest OFW?

6. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    out of curiosity, why are you against installing cfw?

7. TedHadler
    OP

TedHadler Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have nothing against it really its just people make it sound like this big scary thing which could brick your 3DS if you install it wrong but i guess ill have to man up and get a flash card and just hope i don't destroy my 3DS :P

Thanks for all your replies guy, helped a lot :)

8. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    You shouldn't be scared of cfw. These stigmas are super old, and pretty much everything's changed since then. First of all, bricks have been brought down to zero percent, due to the bootrom exploit having an insane number of recovery options. Secondly, you don't need to own a flashcart anymore to mod your console. Now you just need to own a compatible dsiware game (usually Sudoku for $2) and friend a person online who already has cfw (me) and have them send you a file. Lastly, and this is the one that takes the most time to explain, cfw isn't a thing that completely changes the way your 3ds behaves; it's relatively simple. Cfw is really just a launcher installed to the bootrom that looks for "boot.firm" on the ad card when it boots up. Boot.firm just applies a few patches to the os, mainly signature checks that let unsigned .CIA files (pirated games or Homebrew) be installed. Other then that, a cfw 3ds is identical to a regular 3ds. If you want more information about exactly what a cfw is and how it's completely harmless, you could read this:

9. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    CFW used to be a scary, brick-prone mess with Arm9LoaderHax, but nobody installs that anymore & it's really easy to switch to Boot9Strap. Anything bad you've heard about CFW is probably from A9LH. You can even save a bricked 3DS as long as you have a NAND backup & working B9S.

Giodude likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice