Bought wii u eshop game, it won't load

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by skill83, Aug 2, 2015.

1. skill83
    OP

skill83 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2015
    United States
    Last night I purchased ESPN Sports Connection from the Wii U eshop because it is currently on sale and my young daughter wanted to play it. After paying, the game and update downloaded and installed to my external hard drive just like all my other wii u eshop games have. I went to play it, it applies update and starts. I get the opening espn screen. I get the ubisoft screen after that. Here's where the problem starts, after the ubisoft screen it freezes every time on one of the next 2 sceens. There is one screen showing the save icon and to not turn the system off while that's on the screen, the next screen is about using your wiimote. The game freezes every time on one of those 2 screens. It won't let me get to the start menu. I uninstall the update, try again. Same. I know it's a fix for an old similar problem but I also set miiverse language settings to English only. I deleted all of its files from my hard drive and re downloaded it straight to the system memory in case my hard drive was at fault. Same problem. I just don't get it. My system is fully updated. No homebrew or any kind of hacks at all on it. I have over 50 wii u games on disc and well over 50 eshop games for it as well and all other games I've tried since work fine. I've unplugged the system from the wall. I've done everything I can think of. Anyone else encounter an issue like this? I'm thinking of calling nintendo to report it but they'll probably just want me to pay for repairs and since it's only one cheap game giving me issues and not the rest, I don't want to pay $50-100+ when every other game I have both retail and digital work fine. Sorry for the long post. Wanted to cover everything. I'm more sad than anything that my daughter will be disappointed that she can't play it even though she has tons of other games.

2. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    If everything else works, then it just must be a buggy/half-baked game. From what you are saying, your system sounds like it is perfectly fine. Are you sure the loading time just doesn't take a very long time? A reviewer said it did when I checked the Metacritic review of the game. You can check it out on Metacritic here: http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/espn-sports-connection

In all seriousness, you are probably better off with Wii Sports Club on the eShop!

3. 3DSXLGamer

3DSXLGamer GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2013
    Canada
    Animal Forest
    That first world problems though, but yeah just try to get refund from nintendo if this is known issue with game. They won't force you to pay for repair.

4. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Reinstall the game?

5. fatherjack

fatherjack GBAtemp Fan

Jul 3, 2007
    Still Here
    :teach: this appears to be in the wrong forum............