Bought a used DS on eBay...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by BananaX, Jul 16, 2010.

Jul 16, 2010

Bought a used DS on eBay... by BananaX at 5:15 PM (2,294 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. BananaX
    OP

Newcomer BananaX Advanced Member

United States
    I purchased a DS lite off of eBay to replace my previously lost DS (along with my Cyclo, Platinum, and HeartGold [​IMG]). Aesthetically, this new DS is actually in great shape. It's the newer metallic silver color, and the screens aren't very scratched at all. However, there is one thing that concerns me beyond all else.

It's the hinge. When I open and close the DS, it's horribly loose, and doesn't want to stay open except in the fully opened position (in other words, it won't stay in a 90 degree position, it has to either be closed or in a 180 degree position. I realized that the hinge next to the battery indicator is cracked and loose. Is there anything I can do or am I just screwed on this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    You can send it to Nintendo, or you can trade it in to EB games or Gamestop but you wouldn't get much doing that.

3. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Only way to fix a broken hinge is a new shell.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    What about superglue?

5. Gaara.

Member Gaara. Advanced Member

Canada
    I would invest the $10 to get a new shell. You can get a metallic silver shell as well.

6. Princess Rozalin

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    The minute i read this i said oh woow another Person bought a Broken DS but in Your case its not Bad ok i recommend just buying a new Shell if not then send it to Ninty they might charge you but if you wanna get it fix best thing imo.

7. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    Get a new shell for it.

Or do what I had to do for a temporary fix, tear a finger width piece of paper, roll it up and stick it in the center. It'll keep it stabilized until you get a new shell/money to send it to Nintendo.

8. BananaX
    OP

United States
    The serial number was removed when I received it, so I'm afraid sending to Nintendo would probably be out of the question. As for a DIY case replacement, could anyone tell me how difficult that would be?

Honestly, I'm open to the idea but it looks quite intimidating. I'm not that used to taking apart electronics, although I have changed my PSP faceplate recently and I think I could do it if it didn't require hardcore soldering, etc. Do you think I should just do that?

9. MaK11-12

Member MaK11-12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I would push the hinges together really hard and super-glue it quickly. Anyway, if you're going to get a new shell, then you got nothing to lose trying any method of fixing the hinge.

10. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If you're not super careful with it you'll end up with it hanging on just by one side. You can put it in a new case, but it's a very fiddly job, takes quite a long time and you can quite easily damage the delicate ribbon of the top screen. Don't see why you should have to do that if the cracked hinge wasn't in the description, so I'd probably go down the "item not as described" route.

11. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States

That's probably the best choice.

12. Uncout

Newcomer Uncout Member

United Kingdom
    I agree with this guy.

If you try to replace the shell, a few things can go wrong. you caould damage the ribbon cables, as previously stated, break the little tab off either the volume or power switch (they are notoriously weak, i've had it happen to me a couple of times by just brushing my finger across it!), or you could do what i did the first time i tried to repair my dsl, which is unlikely as it was really stupid, and break the locking tab for the touchscreen *faceplam*

13. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    for a temporary fix, get a hard case. the clear one

14. D34DL1N3R

Member D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    Have you tried contacting the seller for a refund and just getting a different one? And isn't it covered under eBays buyer protection?

15. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    ^YOU cant expect that on crappy ebay

16. N4RU70 FR34K

Banned N4RU70 FR34K Banned

United States
    You should get a new shell they're not hard to install and you can get it any color [​IMG]

17. FlashX007

Newcomer FlashX007 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No, replacement shells can be difficult and for those who are not careful enough can make it worse. In my opinion I think you should go with a hard case obviously play through. Crystal see through case or something I have one for my DSi. It should work even if your hinge is broken. To be honest if you do not take care of it the damage might get worse. My DS Phat had an issue like that and eventually the damage got worse. (Screens were rainbow colors)

18. BananaX
    OP

United States
    Well, one week later I've returned the system to the seller on the "Item not as described" claim. They accepted somewhat readily and now the DS is back on its way to the owner in Texas. As for what I plan to do for my next replacement DS, I actually went to the warranty page on Nintendo's website for my old DS which I had already registered. I looked at the repair options, and I saw the option to have it replaced with a "Factory Certified" model, so that's on its way to me right now. Hopefully I should avoid any problems with this one, and it does come with a one year warranty of it's own, so I'm a little more secure. Thanks for all of the help!

19. Blastoise

Member Blastoise GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Tried it with my old ds. Doesn't work

20. Blastoise

Member Blastoise GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Good to hear mate!