BootMii & Preloader questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kama, Aug 11, 2009.

Aug 11, 2009

BootMii & Preloader questions by kama at 4:01 PM (1,736 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. kama
    OP

Newcomer kama Member

United States
    I just installed BootMii to boot2. Can I set it so that I get straight to the Wii menu instead of having to go through the BootMii menu first?

I haven't installed Preloader yet. If it was installed, would the Wii start up with the Wii menu or does it boot up to a Preloader menu?

I would rather have the Wii boot up normally like it did before hacking, but I also want Preloader and BootMii just running in the background. Is there a way to have both of these at the same time?

Thanks

Also, in case I can't, is there a way to uninstall ONLY BootMii and not have to worry about messing with anything else or bricking?

2. rl3n

Newcomer rl3n Member

Norway
    To skip bootmii and go straight to the menu, you'll have to remove the bootmii files from your sd card, or remove the sd card itself.

With preloader you're able to choose whether you want to boot the preloader menu, the wii menu, hbc or an installed .dol file. I, for instance, have set coverfloader to boot instead of the wii menu.

You can have both bootmii and preloader installed at the same time.

You can uninstall BootMii through the hackmii installer.

3. kama
    OP

Newcomer kama Member

United States
    Thank you very much.

However, I have another problem.

I used the Ultimate Guide to 4.0 and am currently backing up my NAND with BootMii. It brought up the screen and started backing up the NAND. However, about halfway through, it encounters a black box, but keeps going on. Then, about 2 or 3 lines down, it just stops completely. I wasn't there to watch it, so I don't know when these errors came up. It read this at the bottom:

BackupMii v0.6, NAND ID: addc 8095
    f_write(otp) short: 0 bytes
    Factory bad block marker at block 2191
    Short write to block 2766: 28672 bytes
    Backup failed: -1

So now it hasn't been doing anything for about a half hour now and even though it looks like it's okay to shut it off, I don't want to risk bricking my Wii. Would it be safe to shut off my Wii now?

Thanks again

4. jabmaster2

Member jabmaster2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Bad blocks are normal (the little black boxes) so no need worry bout them. It does seem though ur backup failed. Just try it again with another sd card or reformat it and try again. If it's not doing anything just shut it off

5. Deviyl

Member Deviyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not true.. you can leave the files where they are so you don't have to worry about keeping them around. Just open the bootmii.ini file in the bootmii folder and chage autoboot to sysmenu. Like so:

# Autoboot, possible settings:
    # SYSMENU, HBC
    AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU

6. kama
    OP

Newcomer kama Member

United States
    Sorry for being a noob, but I have yet another problem.

I installed Preloader and everything's working fine, but Preloader is making it so that the disc in the Wii won't stop spiinning even when it's off. I tried different settings with it and it's not stopping unless I take it out. Can I fix this or am I just going to have to delete Preloader with NandClean?

7. sl33p

Member sl33p GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, do what Deviyl is saying. He is correct and this solution doesn't include the possibility of losing and then having to re-track down these files.

As to the preloader issue...are you running any hacks? have you tried to disable them?

8. Sic-suicide

Newcomer Sic-suicide Advanced Member

United States
    To fix the error of looking up when backin up nand jus reformat the wii
    one of the wiiware or vc is stopping you

I fopund this out after trial and error

any homebrew wads may\will cause this lock up

9. YankeeFan802

Member YankeeFan802 GBAtemp Regular

United States

Hmm, If you turn off the region free wii discs (games?) it should be fixed. I had the same problem and noticed that is how I fixed the problem.

You have to spend some time with the system menu hacks to learn their functions.

10. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Backup everything on your sd card. Reformat and only put the bootmii folder back on it and try to backup again.