BootMii IOS or BOOT2

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by danash, May 17, 2009.

May 17, 2009

BootMii IOS or BOOT2 by danash at 2:32 PM (35,767 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. danash
    OP

Newcomer danash Member

Canada
    If you don't already know BootMii is out [​IMG]

I've already installed it but I'm not sure if I did it right.

I had to options to install as an ios and as boot2.

I installed both methods.

Everything works fine i can access bootmii and preloader but i've been reading around and people are saying the boot2 install will provide much more rotection then the ios install.

How can i go about removing bootmii as ios and boot2 and reinstalling just as boot2?

2. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Don't worry, BootMii as an IOS will not interfere with BootMii as boot2, and having both gives you the ability to run it from the new Homebrew Channel

3. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    You're perfectly fine with what you installed.

4. gunslinger

Newcomer gunslinger Advanced Member

United States
    i just installed boot2 and ios ^^ it worked here for me fine [​IMG]

5. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    nothing should go wrong with both, and i don't think you can uninstall bootmii yet.
    you can delet the ios it uses with any title deleter

6. Link5084

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Any advantage towards having BootMii as boot2 over Bootmii over IOS with Preloader?

7. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    BootMii will not affect anything else on your Wii, even preloader. So you get the benefits of BootMii as boot2 with no drawbackis

8. BrandonG777

Newcomer BrandonG777 Member

United States
    Not true. It currently breaks support for most SDHC cards. I would recommend waiting for the next version.

9. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    No you're wrong. BootMii breaks nothing, SDHC in the new HBC is broken, that's a known bug with HBC v 1.02, nothing to do with BootMii and it only affects the HBC

10. Cooler89

Member Cooler89 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    quick question... can i have bootmii has IOS, Boot2 and preloader at the same time?

11. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    You posted the same question on the BootMii thread. If you'd have read that thread or this one or the readme that came with the installer you'd know the answer.

12. danash
    OP

Newcomer danash Member

Canada
    Awesome thanks guys guess ill go back up my nand now.

Its really exciting I was reading over at the Bootmii thread and you can change firmwares by replacing with the right nand backup so i can update to 4.0U now and if anything goes wrong just flash the nand back to my 3.2U backup [​IMG]

13. BrandonG777

United States
    No you're wrong! [​IMG] J/K. Seriously, Snes9X, FCE Ultra, VBAGX, ftpii and I'm sure others won't read SDHC cards after you install the current BootMii.

The issue you're talking about as far as the HBC, I downgraded my HBC with BootMii installed and it will read my SDHC card but almost every other app I use still won't read my SDHC card. Something about libogc, IOS60/61, I'm not for sure the BootMii folks currently have a fix they're trying but I had to go back to my 2GB SD card. The ftpii guy released a fix on his end that corrects the issue. [​IMG]

Basically, it can be resolved on either end, it's just turned out to be a pain for me forcing me to go back to my 2GB card. Don't get me wrong BootMii is awesome and this stuff will be worked out in time but don't install thinking it's not "Beta 1" If I knew what I knew now I wouldn't have installed because there is no uninstaller. The FAQ is joke, saying it's straight forward, I guess if you've been programming for the Wii it is but for us end users not so much. [​IMG]

Really, I would STRONGLY recommend looking at http://bugs.hackmii.com/ before you install.

Another issue it created for me is that I can't use my WiiKey2 to load GameCube backups anymore.

These two problems are deal killers for me but I can't uninstall. Like I said it's beta, wait for the full release but it's like whatever. [​IMG]

14. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    One unconfirmed bug report (I'm guessing made by you as no one else as mentioned this anywhere) doesn't count. If you want to uninstall grab a boot2 wad off of one of your games and install that with wad manager.

15. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Honestly, there is probably no reason why anyone besides developers should even bother with bootmii right now. It truly doesn't help anyone better than preloader at this point in development, and even if the risk is absolutely miniscule there is still a chance to trash your system.

And if you have to even ask which way you should be installing bootmii, you probably shouldn't even be touching it.

16. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    What the crap are you talking about? It protects more than Preloader and there's no reason not to install it.

17. BrandonG777

United States
    Need to work on that math bro. There are like 6 CONFIRMED BUG REPORTS of the SDHC issue, the BootMii guys are testing the fix! So deny it if you want. [​IMG] But like I said it's like whatever.

18. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
  19. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    cwstjdenobs is right. There is a difference between SDHC's not working in BootMii (running @ boot2) and HBC 1.0.2 - and an overall fucked up SDHC driver.

20. BrandonG777

United States
    No that's not the issue I was referring to.

This is the issue I was referring to..

http://bugs.hackmii.com/index.php?do=detai...5&project=6

I was referring to a couple different issues actually but that's my freaking point is that BootMii does affect other parts of the system it's not as clean as everyone thinks. As for the BOOT2.wad, I get a -1017 error.

But anyway, I don't care. Hell everyone install it. You have my approval. BootMii the first Beta software in history not to have any bugs. Excuse me while I go try to kill my liver and forget about this nonsense.