Hacking Bootmii boot2 not working with 4.2 update?

DMPugh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry if this has been answered already (I coudn't find an answer using search)--has boot2 for Bootmii been disabled with 4.2? I updated from a 4.1 softmod to 4.2 today. Installed 4.2 through Nintendo's updater (a guide I read on here said it was okay to do this), and everything about the mod went alright except I'm not greeted with the bootmii menu now when I start my Wii. I'd really like it there for brick protection.

cloud33092

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DMPugh said:
Sorry if this has been answered already (I coudn't find an answer using search)--has boot2 for Bootmii been disabled with 4.2? I updated from a 4.1 softmod to 4.2 today. Installed 4.2 through Nintendo's updater (a guide I read on here said it was okay to do this), and everything about the mod went alright except I'm not greeted with the bootmii menu now when I start my Wii. I'd really like it there for brick protection.

Restart your Wii, if Bootmii was installed as Boot2, then it will show up as soon as the Wii is turned on.
If Bootmii wasn't started then it must be loaded by pressing home in the HBC and clicking Launch Bootmii.
Press the power button on the wii 3 times to get to the last option, then press the reset button. [You can also navigate with a gc controller.]
Press reset to choose the first option, then follow the directions on the screen to make your NAND backup. [Bad blocks are no problem.]
Backup the Bootmii folder elsewhere and erase from the sd card. [or rename it.]
Head back to The Homebrew Channel.

credits to xzxero guides
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

DMPugh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know how bootmii works, I used it all the time back when I was on 4.1 (I even configured it to boot to the Wii system menu after 3 seconds if I didn't need to do anything with it on boot), but it's just not there now.

I actually updated my Wii tonight and softmodded a friend's Wii, and neither of them boot to bootmii at startup. Both said that bootmii could be installed to boot2 when I was doing the mod.

Posts merged

dai-a said:
Nintendos update to 4.2 upgraded you to a boot2v4 wii.

Oh. Well that explains it...I think? So is a boot 2.4 hack possible?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
boot2 gets updated by 4.2 official update so bootmii is gone if you updated that way. If you had it installed to boot2 before though, you should be able to install it again. Just use the latest hackmii installer. (which you should've run to install the new JODI HBC for 4.2 anyways)

DMPugh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ahhh, okay. I'll have to give that a go once my tv is freed up. So far I was really just focusing on my friend's Wii, which I am guessing is a lost cause because we started fresh on a 4.2 firmware.

DMPugh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No offense but the stickies get moved all the time based on when someone has posted, so I'm not sure which one you're referring to. Could you just link me to it, or let me know the answer? Like I said, I've searched the forums but I'm having trouble finding an answer for this.

DMPugh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, turns out I had to reinstall bootmii. Not sure why this step was necessary, as I haven't had to do that before, but in order for it to work on boot2 I had to reinstall after the mod. Thanks guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one