Tutorial  Updated

Booting Linux on your Switch from Windows - one script, nothing to build, only downloads

THIS GUIDE IS DEPRECATED
THIS IS BETTER https://github.com/natinusala/painless-linux

This guide will show you how to boot Linux on your Switch from a Windows PC. If you're on Linux, you can directly use the shofel2_linux repository.

Credits :
  • @kombos for the pre-built binaries
  • @rajkosto for TegraRcmSmash and Windows imx_usb binaries
  • Fail0verflow for their Linux port
What you'll need :
  • A Switch
  • A Windows PC
  • Another SD card of at least 8Gb
    • you can use the same SD card that you already have on your Switch but be careful when partitioning !
  • A USB A-to-C or C-to-C cable to plug your Switch into your PC
Step 1 : installing the driver
  1. Get your Switch in RCM mode and plug it into your PC
    • It should appear as "APX" in Windows
  2. Download and run the Zadig Driver Installer from here : https://zadig.akeo.ie/
  3. In the list, choose the device "APX"
    • If it's not showing up, check "List all devices" in the options
  4. At the right end of the green arrow, choose "libusbK (v3.0.7.0)"
  5. Click on the big "Install driver" button
Step 2 : creating the root filesystem

Yes, this is still necessary. Yes, this will always be.

Open my another guide and follow the "Building the rootfs" section.
On Windows you'll have to use a IMG file and burn it with Etcher, or find a way to create an ext4 partition by hand (good luck with that).
I recommend the latest LXDE image which has the correct format for Etcher - it's a zip containing a bin, flash the .bin using Etcher.

You should be left with a SD card with two partitions on it.

Step 3 : a whole bunch of downloads
  1. Download and extract this : https://github.com/SoulCipher/shofel2_linux/archive/master.zip
  2. Download this : https://files.sshnuke.net/TegraRcmSmash1101.zip
  3. Extract the executable for your architecture in the shofel2_linux-master folder
  4. Download this : https://github.com/rajkosto/imx_usb_loader/releases/download/08daaa/imx_usb.zip
  5. Extract the executable and DLL in the shofel2_linux-master folder
  6. Download this : http://launchmycraft.fr/boot_linux.bat
  7. Put it in the shofel2_linux-master folder
This is what you should have in the linux_shofel2-master folder before continuing :
2d13fc7c7d.png

Step 4 : actually booting Linux
  1. Put your Switch in RCM mode and plug it in your PC
  2. Go in the shofel2_linux-master folder and open boot_linux.bat
  3. It wasn't that hard, wasn't it ?

Last edited by natinusala,

MuppetPaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, thanks for the tutorial!
I've a problem after starting linux on the switch. I get the same message like you "waiting for root device mmcblk0p2" without sd-card, but mine is still plugged in. I wrote the image (arch with LXDE, the rcommended KDE doesn't work) to the card via Etcher. I also checked the partitions, there are 3: the first one ist the FAT32 (~200MB), second ext4 (~8GB) and the third is not assigned (rest space of the 16GB card). Any suggestions how to solve the problem?
Many thanks in advance!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Same problem with the image from"cmsj". I wrote this with win32 diskmanager to the sd-card.

Reactions: SaffronXL

J-Lit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason this wouldn't work for a switch? I have two of them, and this works just fine on one, but on the other the screen remains black and the Linux penguins never show up.

The one that works is on software 5.0.2, the one that doesn't is on 5.0.1. But that shouldn't matter. Both switch's run fine, I have no idea why one wouldn't work.

Last edited by J-Lit,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are there firmware requirements for this operation?
also could you list a few benefits of running linux on the switch?
Works on all firmwares. You just need to enter RCM and run the program. Benefits? Once someone gets the joycons working and other stuff, portable emulation/computer that you can still game on.

Reactions: Darth Oeron

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Which KDE has the correct format for Etcher. the rootfs.tar.bz is not a supported format and neither is the extracted tar?

It's not KDE it's the latest LXDE, sorry for the confusion.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work for a switch? I have two of them, and this works just fine on one, but on the other the screen remains black and the Linux penguins never show up.

The one that works is on software 5.0.2, the one that doesn't is on 5.0.1. But that shouldn't matter. Both switch's run fine, I have no idea why one wouldn't work.

I have the same issue, I have a success rate of 25% using this method, whereas on Linux it works almost 100% of the time

The KDE image is not compatible with Etcher, so that's not a great recommendation.

Indeed, let me fix this

Reactions: SaffronXL

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well it's outdated and bad. We will upload a GNOME IMG file soon-ish, I suggest you wait.

The issue is that you need to mount the ext4 partition on your PC to connect manually to the WiFi, but on Windows you can't do that.

Reactions: kevandkkim

wiiarctus

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well it's outdated and bad. We will upload a GNOME IMG file soon-ish, I suggest you wait.

The issue is that you need to mount the ext4 partition on your PC to connect manually to the WiFi, but on Windows you can't do that.
I have a Ubuntu VM set up so I could edit something within the ext4 partition, or should I wait for the GNOME img?^^

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With a Ubuntu VM you totally can !

Using Gparted on the VM, re-format the ext4 partition. Then, download the GNOME tarball and extract it like said in the guide.

Reactions: wiiarctus

wiiarctus

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With a Ubuntu VM you totally can !

Using Gparted on the VM, re-format the ext4 partition. Then, download the GNOME tarball and extract it like said in the guide.
Okay I'm doing that right now and I'm in the Gigaspot file too, now what exactly do I have to edit there, so that I can use the browser and everything internet related on the Switch?^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol