Hacking Booktype to DVD-ROM

Sportsmaniac1322

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
1,183
Trophies
0
Location
Forman's Basement
Website
Visit site
XP
276
Country
United States
I asked this question in a previous topic, but now that it's on the second page I think it's basically a lost cause (especially in this section). I have a Wiikey v1 and I need to burn a game onto a DVD+R disc. I was told that I should booktype it to DVD-ROM before I burn it. I've tried to do this, but I don't know which manufacturer to choose in ImgBurn because they don't match my drives. Here's exactly what ImgBurn says about my disc drives:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H40N RA00 (ATA)
PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD08L 2.50 (ATA)

Is there a way around the manufacturer thing? If not, would I be ok just burning it onto the DVD+R disc without book typing it to DVD-ROM?
 

franky86

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
96
Trophies
0
XP
141
Country
United States
i've burnt lots of games on dvd+r just because we had a stack of them laying around. they work fine(burnt about 10 games, only having problems with 1 now: wii music).

i cant set my drive to booktype to dvd-rom, img burn wont do it and neither will a few other programs i found that offer the ability to change booktype. i think its my older, crappier dvd burner.

but its not required to burn as dvd-rom if ur wii can read dvd+r. try it and see.
 

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
2,123
Trophies
1
Age
124
Location
Kikkoman Factory
XP
1,087
Country
The manufacturer of the drive and the brand of the drive sometimes don't match. Some companies will buy a batch of drives as an OEM and resell them under their own names. Don't worry, just set the booktype to DVD-ROM for both and you're fine.

Actually, with Wiikey, you probably don't have to set the booktype but it's always a good idea.
smile.gif
 

Sportsmaniac1322

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
1,183
Trophies
0
Location
Forman's Basement
Website
Visit site
XP
276
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
The manufacturer of the drive and the brand of the drive sometimes don't match. Some companies will buy a batch of drives as an OEM and resell them under their own names. Don't worry, just set the booktype to DVD-ROM for both and you're fine.

Actually, with Wiikey, you probably don't have to set the booktype but it's always a good idea.
smile.gif
With ImgBurn you have 8 choices to choose for the manufacturer of the disc drive. You have to choose one in order to booktype it. Is there a way to find out the actual manufacturer of my disc drive(s)?
 

linkinworm

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 30, 2008
Messages
1,596
Trophies
1
Age
33
Location
Birmingham (England)
XP
1,939
Country
franky86 said:
i've burnt lots of games on dvd+r just because we had a stack of them laying around. they work fine(burnt about 10 games, only having problems with 1 now: wii music).

i cant set my drive to booktype to dvd-rom, img burn wont do it and neither will a few other programs i found that offer the ability to change booktype. i think its my older, crappier dvd burner.

but its not required to burn as dvd-rom if ur wii can read dvd+r. try it and see.
it gets auto book typed. put it back in your DVD drive and check the disk info in image burn its DVD-ROM, you cant add anymore data to them disks now
 

Sportsmaniac1322

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
1,183
Trophies
0
Location
Forman's Basement
Website
Visit site
XP
276
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
franky86 said:
i've burnt lots of games on dvd+r just because we had a stack of them laying around. they work fine(burnt about 10 games, only having problems with 1 now: wii music).

i cant set my drive to booktype to dvd-rom, img burn wont do it and neither will a few other programs i found that offer the ability to change booktype. i think its my older, crappier dvd burner.

but its not required to burn as dvd-rom if ur wii can read dvd+r. try it and see.
it gets auto book typed. put it back in your DVD drive and check the disk info in image burn its DVD-ROM, you cant add anymore data to them disks now
Does this mean I can just burn the image straight to a DVD+R disc without worrying about booktyping it?
 

Sportsmaniac1322

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
1,183
Trophies
0
Location
Forman's Basement
Website
Visit site
XP
276
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
OR use nero 6 (or newer) and at the end before pressing "BURN" check on the options and change the booktype there...!!!
smile.gif
Not all of us have the cash to buy nero
wink.gif
. My question still hasn't been answered though. Am I safe to burn the Wii game onto a DVD+R disc without booktyping?
 

thawkins1

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
272
Trophies
0
Age
36
Location
USA
Website
Visit site
XP
140
Country
United States
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
ether2802 said:
OR use nero 6 (or newer) and at the end before pressing "BURN" check on the options and change the booktype there...!!!
smile.gif
Not all of us have the cash to buy nero
wink.gif
. My question still hasn't been answered though. Am I safe to burn the Wii game onto a DVD+R disc without booktyping?

You know how to get games but not Nero?
wink.gif
 

Sportsmaniac1322

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
1,183
Trophies
0
Location
Forman's Basement
Website
Visit site
XP
276
Country
United States
Well I just burned my disc on a DVD+R disc, and it didn't work. It boots up, and then says "This Game Disc could not be read. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information". The same game works fine on my DVD-R's, but I need it working on this. Why didn't it work?
 

kai445

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
320
Trophies
1
XP
256
Country
United States
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
Well I just burned my disc on a DVD+R disc, and it didn't work. It boots up, and then says "This Game Disc could not be read. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information". The same game works fine on my DVD-R's, but I need it working on this. Why didn't it work?

Maybe you have crappy media and it has less to do with the fact that it is +R and more that it is some off brand of disc?

I use Taiyo Yuden +R media burned @ 8x and 16x with no problems.
 

lll

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
132
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
57
Country
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H40N RA00 (ATA)
PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD08L 2.50 (ATA)

HL-DT-ST stands for Hitachi-LG Data Storage, it's what all LG drives are marked as. For that drive, pick 'LG'.

The other drive is a Pioneer - a quick search suggests that either they don't support bitsetting or that they do it automatically. Stick to the LG drive for bitsetting.

That said, I forgot to set the book type on one DVD+R and it worked just fine with my Wiikey2, so maybe it's not necessary anyway?

QUOTE(Sportsmaniac1322 @ Jan 15 2009, 04:52 PM) Well I just burned my disc on a DVD+R disc, and it didn't work. It boots up, and then says "This Game Disc could not be read. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information". The same game works fine on my DVD-R's, but I need it working on this. Why didn't it work?

That sounds more like a problem with disc or burn quality or a bad rip.
 

david432111

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
858
Trophies
0
Location
Denmark
XP
210
Country
lll said:
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H40N RA00 (ATA)
PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD08L 2.50 (ATA)

HL-DT-ST stands for Hitachi-LG Data Storage, it's what all LG drives are marked as. For that drive, pick 'LG'.

The other drive is a Pioneer - a quick search suggests that either they don't support bitsetting or that they do it automatically. Stick to the LG drive for bitsetting.

That said, I forgot to set the book type on one DVD+R and it worked just fine with my Wiikey2, so maybe it's not necessary anyway?

QUOTE(Sportsmaniac1322 @ Jan 15 2009, 04:52 PM) Well I just burned my disc on a DVD+R disc, and it didn't work. It boots up, and then says "This Game Disc could not be read. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information". The same game works fine on my DVD-R's, but I need it working on this. Why didn't it work?

That sounds more like a problem with disc or burn quality or a bad rip.
You don't need to bitset if you have a modchip. Only people who load through soft mods need to bitset.
 

davedeluxe

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
115
Trophies
0
XP
23
Country
Gambia, The
when you use a dvd+r medium the booktype is set automaticly to dvd-rom (in nero and img burn, otherwise you app is wrong configured). otherwise use imgburn and set the booktype of your medium manually under the options, but you must have a dvd-burner, which is listed in the options (BenQ, LG, Plextor etc.)
 

kidsasuke

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Messages
2
Trophies
0
XP
25
Country
Canada
I have the same burner as mentioned in this thread (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H40N RA00) and am getting frustrated. I'm trying to burn a game to use with a twilight hacked console, but imgburn won't let me change the booktype no matter what I do. I tried to select LG from the list, but it keeps coming back with "Invalid command operation code".
 

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's okay we're all stupid on the inside
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My damn brain forgets everything
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I know nothing about anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hell, i'm stupid on the outside
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The only things in my mind are useless stuff
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Xdqwerty Use Google to your advantages 90% of the time it has answers for hardware and software
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    But that stuff should be in my mind, not on the internet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it really shouldn't none of us know everything
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I'll maybe slam my head until i become smarter
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
  • wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist:
    as a child i ate crayons, i feel like i have come a long way since then.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I shoved rocks in my ear
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i find it hilarious when a new twitch streamer blows up
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    bc then all the memes are about them, for better (like caseoh) or for worse (like kai cenat)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like it when they get canceled over flashing a tit
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    some guy got banned forever for saying "l ratio" or smth, and a woman gets it on stream and gets banned for a week
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    like what the fuck
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We need to ban man nipples from being on the internet but female ones should be fine
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    pokimane gets naked, "AWOOOGA!", case gets naked, and he gets a taste of his own medicine lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    actually, it still may be an "AWOOOGA!" from his chat remembering some of the messages he gets
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    no
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    there need to be more man nipples I hate when a lot of drawn art doesn't suddenly draw nipples on males only females, as if its to ignore reality
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    because its considered like it doesn't exist, doesn't have function etc
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    that's not entirely true though but yea you can't just take that perspective
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: that's not entirely true though but yea you can't just take that perspective