• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Booker introduces bill to legalize marijuana nationwide, with support from other 2020 candidates

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 2,778
  • Replies 36
  • Likes 9

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Rofl, classic. "The first hit of marijuana you take will probably kill you." And people wonder why the DARE/McGruff programs were such failures that they had to be ended. The second one kid finds out its bullshit, all credibility is gone for them.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Decriminalize all drugs. Institute better and more mental health facilities, as well as affordable rehabilitation centers.
Yeahh- No.
I can see the justification for legalizing marijuana, but some drugs are better left illegal, because they can make the consumer have agressive behaviors.
However, to be fair, alcohol also has that issue, though it's lesser.

Reactions: Xandrid

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Choosing to educate people and not condemn at worst results in no change in their opinion of substances and/or usage. Choosing to condemn people for it results in jail time, bills, lack of real knowledge on the matter, unnecessary judgement, and lack of sympathy. Choosing to decriminalize could at a minimum Allow for safer and more educated consumption, more and better detailed research on said substances, an assertion that people choose the specifics of what to put into their body's not the other way around (in general), less social stigma for getting help/knowing when to cut down.
There's no perfect solution. People should be properly educated before they make decisions and there should be proper rehabilitation methods for those who need them

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeahh- No.
I can see the justification for legalizing marijuana, but some drugs are better left illegal, because they can make the consumer have agressive behaviors.
However, to be fair, alcohol also has that issue, though it's lesser.
He did say "decriminalize," not "legalize," so he's not requesting meth dispensaries. The thing is that people who want hard drugs are going to get them, regardless of legality, and locking up addicts for years just turns non-violent drug offenders into hardened criminals. So I can understand where he's coming from in that regard, we need to prioritize treatment ahead of punishment for addicts.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the stuff is vile, and smoking it should still be banned. However I'm less opposed to other forms of consumption such as pills regarding it. It's far too invasive as a 'smoked' product. Foul stuff, and it does not have the same effect on everyone.

To the same extent, I don't mind when people drink, but I want nothing to do with it. Alcohol is much easier to avoid than this Pot Entitlement Boom that we've been seeing. As someone with a strong sense of smell, regular smoking is bad enough for my mood to be exposed to. But weed is far more longevious in a way that can be inescapable to bystanders, even a long time after the act. And its effect on me is one of inciting violence/rage in a way that's hard to control.
EVERY state that has legalized it makes it illegal to consume in public in any form, meaning that your personal preference would only affect people using it at home.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is ridiculous. "Now you legally have access to a form of pain management that isn't highly addictive or harmful to your body! IN YOUR FACE!" Nobody wants weed legal for that reason. They either want to consume it or don't see any harm in it, especially because we already have more harmful drugs that are legal in the form of alcohol, tobacco, and opioids. Not to mention the beneficial side effects of removing control from the cartels, and the money we can save for the marijuana portion of the failed war on drugs
To be fair, I wouldn't call opioids legal. Not by any means. Schedule II means that while, yes, it is theoretically possible to obtain them legally, CDC and DEA and FDA rules that were put into place in 2017 have made that prospect extremely unlikely. Have you seen the street price for something even as weak as codeine? There is no way anybody is supporting that habit anymore, so what do they do? They turn to fentanyl and fentanyl tainted heroin. Now you know who created the "epidemic." That's what happens when you let an unelected government body practice medicine on the entire nation.

Oh and yes, cops will harass you over opioid medication, even if it's yours and you're simply transporting it. God forbid a friend or family member accidentally leaves a bottle of pills in your car. That's an automatic possession of controlled substance charge for you, and a possible trafficking charge for them.

Last edited by Subtle Demise,
Reactions: Xzi and CallmeBerto

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not going to pass because of backwards places like Louisiana with their for profit judicial system, and simple minded brainwashed people that still think weed is the most dangerous thing that ever happened, hell if it wasn't illegal it wouldn't even be a gateway drug to the actual bad stuff. with opioids as bad as they are these days we need as many alternatives as the world can offer.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not going to pass because of backwards places like Louisiana with their for profit judicial system, and simple minded brainwashed people that still think weed is the most dangerous thing that ever happened, hell if it wasn't illegal it wouldn't even be a gateway drug to the actual bad stuff. with opioids as bad as they are these days we need as many alternatives as the world can offer.
They are only "so bad" because overzealous regulation has forced otherwise legitimate users to turn to the black market. Less than 3% of people prescribed codeine or hydrocodone ever become addicted to them. Anything stronger than that is either administered by hospital staff or would be so limited in quantity that it would be impossible to form a habit from it.

The science and overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence should speak for itself as to why marijuana should be legal, we really shouldn't be villifying other drugs to legalize weed. That opens the door for government to say, "ok, you can have x, but you have to give up y." They're already doing gun confiscations against people who have medical marijuana cards.

Why is one form of euphoria seen as less moral than another? Why are we letting anyone else dictate how we treat our own bodies and minds? Why is drug-induced euphoria itself seen as something that needs to be prevented? Have you ever noticed how drugs that are known for negative effects like datura and salvia are completely unregulated? Why is it only things that people seem to derive pleasure from that get outlawed?

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that Marijuana should be removed from the DEA controlled substance act thingy. But, I don't think they should legalize marijuana overnight, countrywide. I believe it should be up to the states to legalize it individually.

I personally don't mind if it gets legalized.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that Marijuana should be removed from the DEA controlled substance act thingy. But, I don't think they should legalize marijuana overnight, countrywide. I believe it should be up to the states to legalize it individually.

I personally don't mind if it gets legalized.
I think that the entire controlled substances act should be repealed, and overnight is fine. The sooner the better.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think that the entire controlled substances act should be repealed, and overnight is fine. The sooner the better.
Agreed. Policing for profit never should've been legalized to begin with, the Supreme Court recently ruled against it, but that's essentially the entire premise for the war on drugs. To bring in profit through police and privatized prisons.

Last edited by Xzi,

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I smoke weed all day everyday. This is better than my old self, the alcohol one. He would kill all enemies at any cost. Anyway, I have a son now and he's great you know. I'd die for him, but also much teach him humble Nazi values.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I'd argue legalization is an inevitability, it's just a question of when. Overall things are going well for the states that have already legalized, and the medical benefits that are being recognized within the plant seem to only increase by the day. Furthermore overall more people seem to be in favor of legalization than opposed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow