Booker introduces bill to legalize marijuana nationwide, with support from other 2020 candidates

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Xzi, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Xzi
    OP

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/cory-booker-introduces-bill-to-legalize-marijuana-nationwide.html

Thoughts/opinions? Is it the right time, or too soon? We're down to just fifteen states without any sort of medical/recreational sales or decriminalization in place. In the long run, you'd think this move would be a big boost to the economy as a whole, those states included. Not only can we grow it and sell it here, we can also export. Seems like a smart issue to latch on to for the Democrats regardless. It definitely motivates high turnout at the polls.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am more curious to see the arguments made against it and if they can beat the guns, abortions, healthcare and same sex marriage stuff for amusing me.

VinsCool, CallmeBerto and Xzi like this.
  3. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The Lone Wanderer

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I think this is a great idea and hope it goes through.

I really like this part

"The bill also aims to reverse the damage done to those who were prosecuted for marijuana use by expunging federal crimes and allowing offenders to petition courts for shorter sentences"

I think it will be a great boost to the economy as a whole and would make it a lot easier to process payments since it will be legal everywhere. I mean I don't even smoke it and I'd vote for it.

4. LowEndC

LowEndC ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ

GBAtemp Patron
    LowEndC is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 25, 2019
    Niger
    You have to die before you can wake.
    but "muh war on drugs"

should start

Last edited by LowEndC, Mar 1, 2019
  5. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    You can see where the priorities are.

6. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

I think you're right. Purely symbolic right now, the Senate won't bring it up if the House does pass it. But this primes it for being a key campaign issue in 2020.

It would have been a smarter issue for Republicans to move on when they had the chance. They didn't, wouldn't, and I expect they'll rue the day.

7. TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth GBAtemp Fan

Feb 6, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    I think the stuff is vile, and smoking it should still be banned. However I'm less opposed to other forms of consumption such as pills regarding it. It's far too invasive as a 'smoked' product. Foul stuff, and it does not have the same effect on everyone.

To the same extent, I don't mind when people drink, but I want nothing to do with it. Alcohol is much easier to avoid than this Pot Entitlement Boom that we've been seeing. As someone with a strong sense of smell, regular smoking is bad enough for my mood to be exposed to. But weed is far more longevious in a way that can be inescapable to bystanders, even a long time after the act. And its effect on me is one of inciting violence/rage in a way that's hard to control.

Memoir likes this.
  8. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    I'm willing to try it for my bi polar my original psychiatrist was so damn conservitive he said it'll screw me up worse (he's since retired my councelor said the opposite and other people who know smokers would agree cause those pot smokers happen to be mentally ill

9. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    This is why people need to understand that "legalize it" isn't so cut and dry. I also see negative effects with it. It doesn't work for everyone, especially not in productivity.

I'm not against legalizing it, either. However, the way the "progressive movement" is going? They're just wanting it legal to rub it in certain faces.

Last edited by Memoir, Mar 1, 2019
    VinsCool likes this.
  10. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    What, and support State Rights? :/ *sigh* As someone who doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs, I strongly support Federally legalizing marijuana and treating it, more or less, like alcohol. Ie, it's mostly up to the states in theory and different states have different laws, but there's enough of a consistent standard on it that for the most part even the most die-hard states haven't banned it. Now, in 20 years? Then I can understand going through and refactoring the law as federal*.

While were on it, how about we push for legislation to fund opioid treatment programs? Same with marijuana, cigarette, and alcohol treatment programs. You know, crazy stuff that focuses on helping people who want help get help, even if they personally can't afford it because--you know--they're addicts and spent all their money on their addiction.

* Not that that's actually how the Constitution is written, but the whole idea today of 50 experiments running doesn't make much sense unless at some point you reach a general conclusion and codify nationally the stuff that works.

11. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    I just hate the jailtime you get for having weed. I know it's big amounts, but still:

1. I'm a sex offender, I got a few years time.

2. I had some weed on me. 25 years.

Like what the fuck???

Subtle Demise and Xandrid like this.
  12. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

I think you'd have to have a whooooole lot of weed on you to get 25 years. Like, bales. And scales. (i.e. dealing at the distributor level) But FWIW I don't support it being illegal so I'm with ya on the principle of the thing.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  13. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    I wish this bill would go through just so that stoner culture can fizzle out and so people can get actual hobbies. Like 80% of people who smoke base their entire lives around it and it's obnoxious, like man i just want to get high and watch youtube videos, not talk about horoscopes for 3 hours while i look at your crappy tapestries you ordered off of ebay

14. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    might want to ask him if its the thc or the cbd that could help you out. cbd may relieve anxious feelings. the thc just gets you high. there are some really good gummies that have just cbd and no thc. all relief and no head change

Subtle Demise and Xzi like this.
  15. Xzi
    OP

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    This is ridiculous. "Now you legally have access to a form of pain management that isn't highly addictive or harmful to your body! IN YOUR FACE!" Nobody wants weed legal for that reason. They either want to consume it or don't see any harm in it, especially because we already have more harmful drugs that are legal in the form of alcohol, tobacco, and opioids. Not to mention the beneficial side effects of removing control from the cartels, and the money we can save for the marijuana portion of the failed war on drugs.

Yeah, I would definitely recommend giving CBD a shot, but unfortunately I do have to agree your psychiatrist: THC is not helpful for those with bi-polar, and can be harmful to your mental state.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 1, 2019
  16. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    weed will pay for the wall!!!!!!

17. Xzi
    OP

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    If one of the Democrats supporting marijuana legalization wins in 2020, the wall isn't getting built. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Republicans are still against it for the most part.

18. dAVID_

dAVID_ Electrician's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    Weed is harmful if it's smoked in a rollup, tar accumulates in the lungs.

19. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    both parties hate trump because he disrupts both their agendas..

20. Xzi
    OP

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's why I used the term "consume," there are a million ways to ingest THC now. Of course, unless there are any unnatural additives, marijuana is nowhere near as bad as tabacco when smoked, either, especially if you add a water filter. It's just a flower.

If you say so man...the Republicans have been dick-riding him pretty hard for quite a while now.

Subtle Demise and dAVID_ like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted