Homebrew Boch's and ds question

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
DSx86 has improved considerably recently. The key is to put 4dos in c:\4dos instead of c:\data\dsx86\4dos (otherwise some games won't work on some cards like CycloDS and R4). Note that when I refer to c:\ I mean the emulated C:\ not the real C:\ on your computer (i.e. the root of your SD card). I have even managed to get Windows (ok, Windows 2.03) working with the latest version.

How to get Windows on your DS.

1. Obtain Windows 2.03 and put all the installation files in X:\w2inst
2. load dsx86 and run setup.exe, install to a hard disk, c:\windows
**WARNING - do not run setup.exe on your computer, as it will mess up your existing XP/Vista/7 install - WARNING***
3. be sure to choose EGA graphics (the first choice) and no mouse
4. go to X:\WINDOWS and open win200.bin in a hex editor
5. go to offset 0xA926 and replace 76 with EB (this removes the MSDOS version check)
6. load dsx86 again and run windows (cd windows, win)
7. enjoy

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
DSx86 has improved considerably recently. The key is to put 4dos in c:\4dos instead of c:\data\dsx86\4dos (otherwise some games won't work on some cards like CycloDS and R4). Note that when I refer to c:\ I mean the emulated C:\ not the real C:\ on your computer (i.e. the root of your SD card). I have even managed to get Windows (ok, Windows 2.03) working with the latest version.
This sounds like something potentially amusing, although without the mouse I'm not really sure how useful it is...(I've never used Windows 2.03) Would you be willing to elaborate on what exactly you can do with Windows 2.03 on the DS (because hell, if it has something useful that I can't really do otherwise, I might as well give it a shot)?

-edit-
I just had a thought, but maybe this can work with Xenon++'s mshl2wrap...but I have high doubts about it...Then again, if it did work, it would save a lot of trouble for other people if they ever forgot to make the link .nds files.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
nl255 said:
This sounds like something potentially amusing, although without the mouse I'm not really sure how useful it is...(I've never used Windows 2.03) Would you be willing to elaborate on what exactly you can do with Windows 2.03 on the DS (because hell, if it has something useful that I can't really do otherwise, I might as well give it a shot)?

-edit-
I just had a thought, but maybe this can work with Xenon++'s mshl2wrap...but I have high doubts about it...Then again, if it did work, it would save a lot of trouble for other people if they ever forgot to make the link .nds files.

Windows 2.03 isn't very useful at all as there isn't much software written for Windows 2. Heck, it doesn't even have the program manager (just the older MS-DOS executive). It does allow windows to overlap each other though. The problem with the mouse is that dsx86 doesn't emulate the kind of mouse that Windows wants (ps/2 mouse, I think). I will probably upload an IPS patch for win200.bin later since some people might not be able to use a hex editor even though it is a single byte patch. More at wikipedia.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1