Boch's and ds question

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Saphiresurf, May 9, 2010.

May 9, 2010

Boch's and ds question by Saphiresurf at 7:20 PM (1,287 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Saphiresurf
    OP

Banned Saphiresurf Banned

United States
    Is it possible to have a working port of boch's much like the iphone has?

2. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
  4. Saphiresurf
    OP

United States
    ok ill check it out. Thanks!

5. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    There was also DOSBox on DS which you might also want to check out. Pretty lame though due to no keyboard support.

6. Saphiresurf
    OP

United States
    ok. so did boch's for the iphone so ill learn to make due. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

7. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

DSx86 has improved considerably recently. The key is to put 4dos in c:\4dos instead of c:\data\dsx86\4dos (otherwise some games won't work on some cards like CycloDS and R4). Note that when I refer to c:\ I mean the emulated C:\ not the real C:\ on your computer (i.e. the root of your SD card). I have even managed to get Windows (ok, Windows 2.03) working with the latest version.

How to get Windows on your DS.

1. Obtain Windows 2.03 and put all the installation files in X:\w2inst
    2. load dsx86 and run setup.exe, install to a hard disk, c:\windows
    **WARNING - do not run setup.exe on your computer, as it will mess up your existing XP/Vista/7 install - WARNING***
    3. be sure to choose EGA graphics (the first choice) and no mouse
    4. go to X:\WINDOWS and open win200.bin in a hex editor
    5. go to offset 0xA926 and replace 76 with EB (this removes the MSDOS version check)
    6. load dsx86 again and run windows (cd windows, win)
    7. enjoy

8. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    This sounds like something potentially amusing, although without the mouse I'm not really sure how useful it is...(I've never used Windows 2.03) Would you be willing to elaborate on what exactly you can do with Windows 2.03 on the DS (because hell, if it has something useful that I can't really do otherwise, I might as well give it a shot)?

-edit-
    I just had a thought, but maybe this can work with Xenon++'s mshl2wrap...but I have high doubts about it...Then again, if it did work, it would save a lot of trouble for other people if they ever forgot to make the link .nds files.

9. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Windows 2.03 isn't very useful at all as there isn't much software written for Windows 2. Heck, it doesn't even have the program manager (just the older MS-DOS executive). It does allow windows to overlap each other though. The problem with the mouse is that dsx86 doesn't emulate the kind of mouse that Windows wants (ps/2 mouse, I think). I will probably upload an IPS patch for win200.bin later since some people might not be able to use a hex editor even though it is a single byte patch. More at wikipedia.