BlueStacks Runs Android Apps on Your Windows PC

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Dter ic, Oct 11, 2011.

Oct 11, 2011
  1. Dter ic
    OP

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

If you've ever wished you could test out Android apps before installing them on your device or just want to use the same apps on both your Android device and your computer, check out the free BlueStacks App Player.
    Currently in alpha stage, BlueStacks runs Android apps in full screen on Windows 7 and comes preloaded with 10 apps, including news reader Pulse and several games like Bubble Buster. You can install up to 26 more apps, but will have to connect to the BlueStacks App Channels with Facebook.

The App Player also syncs apps between your PC and your phone or tablet if you install the BlueStacks Cloud Connect App from the Market onto your Android device. This could be useful when you want a (sort of) seamless experience going from your Android device to your computer and back.

A version for Mac is in the works, as is a Pro version of BlueStacks App Player will let you play premium apps like Angry Birds.

:arrow: Source
    :download: Download

2. Yatashi Strife

Member Yatashi Strife GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is interesting, now i can test apks on my comp! Im gonna try this later on.

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Having tried it, I have to say that it is vaguely impressive in that apps seem to run well (granted I only really tried the preloaded ones), and the interface is reasonably well designed (although I don't like that you MUST use a desktop gadget to launch apps...).

However, it is severely limited in that it only lets you install approved apps, unless you have an Android phone. (In which case I don't see the point of running apps on a computer anyway). If it had the option to install any APK, that'd be nice.

On a side note, I reckon this would be pretty nice on a vaguely decent Windows tablet.

From my limited testing, it seems you can't install APKs. Perhaps you can by manually poking around in the program's files. Gonna try that now.

4. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    I'm assuming apps that use the phones built in features(accelerometer, bluetooth, wifi) will not run correctly. This is still really great, thanks Deter.

5. Yatashi Strife

United States
    Most likely but what you said. its still useful, especially for people who create apps.

6. SifJar

United Kingdom
    I have now found a version of ADB is included and detects BlueStacks as a device, so it may indeed be possible to install APKs to it using that. I am currently downloading an APK to test with.

7. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    I signed up for the private alpha of this yesterday XD
    Great to see this released

8. Yatashi Strife

United States
    oh well maybe there is a way to get them to install. gonna look into this later but if you find anything, i would appreciate it if you let me know because im planning on using this when i start developing my own apps.

thanks for testing it out for us!

9. SifJar

United Kingdom
    No problem. Seems to error on Angry Birds:

Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\BlueStacks>HD-Adb install com.rovio.angrybirds-1.apk
    1618 KB/s (19766547 bytes in 11.923s)
    pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.rovio.angrybirds-1.apk
    Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_CPU_ABI_INCOMPATIBLE]
    HD-ApkHandler.exe gives the same error. Will try a couple of other apps, then try and see what is changed in the preinstalled apps.

EDIT: OK, it seems some apps work, some don't. Here's my results so far:

Angry Birds [Failed]
    The Elements [Failed]
    Game Dev Story Lite [Works]

EDIT: OK, looks like if an app is compiled with the NDK it will not work, and if it isn't, it will work. Not sure how to know which apps are compiled with NDK other than trying to install it.

Note that apps can be installed using either of the following commands:

Code:
    HD-Adb install APPNAME.apk
    HD-ApkHandler APPNAME.apk

10. Yatashi Strife

United States
    they will probably have to make a way to install apks, like installing directly to the rom or something like that since you can do it in the program. hopefully in the future, you can test custom ROMs. that would be awesome!

11. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Because they want you to pay premium (like the OP says they're making a way for you to pay to play Angry Birds which is free for Android and Chrome).

12. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Found an easier way to install apps: Double click and APK in Windows Explorer (provided you don't already have a default program set for opening APKs), and choose to browse for the program to use to open it. Locate "HD-ApkHandler" in the BlueStacks folder in your Program Files folder and select it as the default program to open APKs with. After that, double clicking APKs will install them :)

A couple more results:

Simply Cyanide [Works]
    Photoshop Express [Works]

13. hkz8000

Member hkz8000 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    only for windows 7?

14. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    It is about time people moved on from Windows XP anyway, it's 10 years old and won't be able to keep up for long,

15. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    So would someone enlighten me as to why you'd use this over the free Android emulator Google provides??

1 person likes this.
  16. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    because ppl dont know about it?

17. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Nicer interface, simpler to use, apps run fullscreen, doesn't require installing Android SDK and Java SDK (i.e. much less downloading of stuff). Just a couple of reasons off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

18. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    YAY! How will this app handle multi-touch? I also wonder if it will be powerful enough to run Splinter Cell and NOVA.

19. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

So it's just a java interpreter and can't handle anything that uses compiled ARM code.

20. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I suppose multi-touch won't work as well...how? I mean I suppose you could argue with touch screen monitors or whatever but I think you get my point. I would hope once fully released it would be powerful enough to play all or most Android apps.

I'm...curious. I've always wanted to try something like this, but never really researched enough to do so. I would love to play some of the games from my phone on my PC. Bubble Blast 2, Impossible Game, Minecraft Pocket Edition, and perhaps even the Dev Story games. Am downloading and will test it out now.

EDIT: What is it about the Facebook thing though? As...I don't use Facebook. Is it important or anything?

EDIT2: Anyone hoping an iPod app Player would come out soon? Think of the possibilities!