Bloodborne PSX style fan demake project released

bb.png

Bloodborne, From Software's hugely popular PlayStation 4 game, is now available on the PlayStation 1. Serving as a throwback to the days of blocky polygonal characters and early 3D era graphics, the game is a fun look at what Bloodborne would look and play like, had it been released 25 years ago. The demake comes from developer Lilith Walther, who managed to recreate the first few hours of the action RPG in full late 90s glory.

It took 13 months for the Bloodborne PSX project to be created using Unreal Engine 4, and now you can finally experience it for yourself, with a free download of the game available on Walther's website and itch.io. Unlike Bloodborne on the PS4, you can experience this version of Yharnam with mouse and keyboard controls, or you can opt for gamepad controls, original PlayStation 1 control pad style. If that wasn't enough retro aesthetic for you, you can also input some oldschool cheats, like big head mode, or even a pet the dog mode.

:arrow: Source

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Why? They must be pretty smart to be able to program games, but suddenly stupid when it comes to the consequences of their own post? You're right, its possible they are secretly dumb I guess.
They literally logged development publicly while it was being made, showing it's clearly being made in UE and not as an actual PS1 ISO.

I'm not going to get in a long drawn-out argument over this because you're just being willfully obtuse at this point and refuse to educate yourself on the facts. Also it's hilarious to suggest something like this needs to capitalize on "hype" for Tomb Raider on GBA (as cool as that is, I promise you it's more niche).

EDIT: Their first development post from over a year ago, clearly saying that they're using Unreal. If you're mad because you assumed that a demake automatically meant being coded as an actual PS1 ISO to be played on emulators, that's entirely on you and not a single other person. Might as well get mad that Shovel Knight isn't literally, actually a NES ROM while you're at it.

Last edited by TripleSMoon,

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They literally logged development publicly while it was being made, showing it's clearly being made in UE and not as an actual PS1 ISO.

I'm not going to get in a long drawn-out argument over this because you're just being willfully obtuse at this point and refuse to educate yourself on the facts. Also it's hilarious to suggest something like this needs to capitalize on "hype" for Tomb Raider on GBA (as cool as that is, I promise you it's more niche).

EDIT: Their first development post from over a year ago, clearly saying that they're using Unreal. If you're mad because you assumed that a demake automatically meant being coded as an actual PS1 ISO to be played on emulators, that's entirely on you and not a single other person. Might as well get mad that Shovel Knight isn't literally, actually a NES ROM while you're at it.
They specifically called it a PS1 demake in their trailers. That's what most people watch, so yeah they were absolutely misleading people by referring to it that way. They knew what would get them attention, and "Low poly Bloodborne demake for PC" wouldn't do it.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
They specifically called it a PS1 demake in their trailers. That's what most people watch, so yeah they were absolutely misleading people by referring to it that way. They knew what would get them attention, and "Low poly Bloodborne demake for PC" wouldn't do it.
"Demake" does not inherently mean "literally a ROM/ISO file to play on the original system." If you assume that, again, when it was specifically stated as an UE game in a million different very publicly accessible places INCLUDING THAT SAME YOUTUBE CHANNEL over the past 14 months, it's on you.

It's also complete conjecture that "most people saw the trailers first" when she's been posting dev videos and first looks and discussion threads on Twitter and twitch way more often. You're just guessing that people were misled at that point.

But I forgot, this is GBAtemp: A community of insular retro Nintendo homebrew and emulation enthusiasts who don't have a single shred of awareness to realize their perspective as part of a niche scene is fringe, and who love thinking they're too smart to fall for an "obvious trick" by someone who anyone else could tell you is acting in totally good faith. Nice to see that hasn't changed over the past decade.

Last edited by TripleSMoon,

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Demake" does not inherently mean "literally a ROM/ISO file to play on the original system." If you assume that, again, when it was specifically stated as an UE game in a million different very publicly accessible places INCLUDING THAT SAME YOUTUBE CHANNEL over the past 14 months, it's on you.
"PSX demake" means something different than "low poly PS1 style demake" to most people. Given that the trailers and gameplay generally have more views (with the Cleric Beast having more than 1 milloon) than any video extensively showing that it's being made in Unreal, it's definitely fair to assume people are more familiar with the trailers where it seems like it's a demake for PS1. In fact many of the WIP videos that used to show the Unreal Engine window running the game stopped showing that (it might even just be a couple of the first ones that showed it). There's no way that wasn't intentional. The one showcasing the menu even uses the Sony PlayStation 1 intro. The Devstream videos have like 20K views compared to 50K to hundreds of thousands or a million views that the WIP gameplay videos (most of which make no reference to being a PC game or UE4) and trailers.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PlayStation intro is literally in the game itself.

It's wild just how proudly ignorant you are about this.
Ignorant because I haven't played a game I have no interest in because it's not actually a PS1 demake like it's called? Sounds like you're just an apologist.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'll admit I shouldn't try to assume someone's intentions based on the result.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of... +1