Tutorial Blocking WiiU Update Domains With OpenDNS

Was this helpful?

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

Wonderful tutorial. Had this set up on my 3DS, however didn't even think about a 2nd connection to swap to should it be safe to access online services or update. Thank you.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

[Alt][F4]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With this method, it actually IS possible to have standby mode and the quick start menu on. However, if your IP address dynamically changes, I would advise you to set the interval that the Wii U goes into standby mode to 24 hours (the default is every 1 hour), so that you always give the OpenDNS auto-updater a chance to update your IP address every day.
Where do you change that?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: DarkFlare69

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this method, it actually IS possible to have standby mode and the quick start menu on. However, if your IP address dynamically changes, I would advise you to set the interval that the Wii U goes into standby mode to 24 hours (the default is every 1 hour), so that you always give the OpenDNS auto-updater a chance to update your IP address every day.
Where do you change that?

Go to power settings, standby functions, set to 24 hours.

Thanks Kelton. Added exact instructions to change standby interval under "Helpful hints!"

Reactions: Kelton2

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the nice tutorial with screenshots.

I've been told OpenDNS is easier than proxy, but I personally still prefer using a proxy. I find it easier and faster to setup, you can monitor network activity.
You don't have to register to a website, you don't need to know your router's WAN IP, you don't risk an update if the dynamic-IP-updater fail to send your new IP in time before the console checks for updates, you don't risk conflicting IP addresses that would require a ticket and let your console vulnerable without you knowing it, it doesn't rely on PC being powered to be sure the filtering is active (if PC is OFF, dynamic IP is not updated!, while using the PC as proxy you are sure that data can't be transmitted if it's OFF).

But OpenDNS seems to be the trend these days :P
That's good for users who don't have windows, router or proxy knowledge. Having choices is always better.

edit:
After thinking about it having the dynamic IP not updated will not let the console access eshop without notice.
As the console network is setup to use a proxy, if the proxy is not reachable the console will simply not connect to the net at all.
Well, that's only if OpenDNS is blocking traffic if the IP doesn't match their IP database instead of not applying any rules to the transmitted data and allowing all traffic.
You should read how that DNS website is working to learn what happen if IP is not updated or conflicts with another computer.
in case of conflict, you risk that the DNS filters what the previous person set up for that IP, allowing traffic to nintendo's servers.

it may not block traffic if IP mismatch, as OpenDNS can be used on all your network, computer too, so if the IP wasn't updated your computer would not be able to access their website using their URL to force a manual IP update. it means that they are not blocking access to other websites if they don't find a matching IP configuration on their database letting your WiiU vulnerable to updates.

Confirmation here.
if the IP updater doesn't update OpenDNS in time (computer powered off? application crashed? issue contacting the website? etc.), then the Wii is using a "default OpenDNS setting" which does not filter nintendo's update servers!

edit:
I don't think you need to add the missing URL.
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net and c.shop.nintendowifi.net are both on the same server.

c.shop.nintendowifi.net blocks everything originating from the shop
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net blocks everything originating from NUS (update server) but not from the shop.

users are reporting that eShop is not working even if only "nus." subdomain is blocked, so you can just keep all the "nus." starting URLs as blocked. You don't need to add the other one unless nintendo starts hosting updates on non-nus servers.

Fl-ris82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you very much, it worked for me!:)
I was wondering though, wouldn't it be possible for Nintendo to make the Wii U update via a new domain, one that's not on the list?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering though, wouldn't it be possible for Nintendo to make the Wii U update via a new domain, one that's not on the list?
It's unlikely to happen. They used the same urls for years.

Reactions: Fl-ris82

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Online gaming isn't blocked- i'm in between tracks on a online MK8 match as I type this.

Ah, but what if Nintendo releases a new update in the next couple of weeks? See, they're going to release a new firmware soon I'm sure, they have a few jokers in the deck. AFAIK, one can't play online once a new version is out. What about the eShop? I'm on 5.3.2 at the time of writing, but eventually well, yeah...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory, yes, but that would require coding the Wii U to also check that domain in a previous update, which (from what I know) hasn't happened yet

Edit: and for those asking, yes, you can still access literally everything except for the eShop, provided you are on the latest version

Reactions: Fl-ris82

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is it normal that the usb is still blinking and it seems that the wiiu is on standby.

It stops now but everytime if I turn it on you see that but I think that is what you get if you are online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c_jlLQb2_rM&pp=ygUQSGVyIG5hbWUgaXMgc29ueQ%3D%3D