Hacking Blocking updates - NOT working

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Everyone

OK, so I finally got my Wii U, in mint condition. What an awesome console:yayu:!!

I'd like to start the hacking process, but I have an issue:

• FIRMWARE VERSION: 5.5.1.E

In order to prevent firmware updates, I need to disable it. Well, I did so. Everywhere on the system I could find that setting.

Problem is, once I connect to the internet (to purchase a NDS virtual console game, for Haxchi's installation), THE FIRMWARE UPDATE DOWNLOAD, continues!!:gun:

Yes, even after disabling it everywhere without messing with stuff like duelhax, proxy server stuff, router settings, etc)

If I were to block the Nintendo sites, via my router, I'll block access to the Wii U shop, if I'm not mistaken.

Thus, dear friends, how do I access the Wii U eshop without updating the firmware in the background (having read what I tried stated above).

Thanks everyone who is willling to help:toot:

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to input the proper DNS settings to block updates. From the Wii U guide:
  1. Go to the “System Settings”, then “Internet”, then “Connect to the Internet” then press (X) to display your current network connections
  2. For each of your connections (and all future connections), do the following
    • Select the connection
    • Select “Change Settings”
    • Move to the second list and choose “DNS”
    • Set the DNS to “Don’t Auto-Obtain”
    • Set the DNS server IPs to the following servers
    • Select “Confirm”, then press (B) to save
    • These servers will block your SysNAND from being updated

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to input the proper DNS settings to block updates. From the Wii U guide:
  1. Go to the “System Settings”, then “Internet”, then “Connect to the Internet” then press (X) to display your current network connections
  2. For each of your connections (and all future connections), do the following
    • Select the connection
    • Select “Change Settings”
    • Move to the second list and choose “DNS”
    • Set the DNS to “Don’t Auto-Obtain”
    • Set the DNS server IPs to the following servers
    • Select “Confirm”, then press (B) to save
    • These servers will block your SysNAND from being updated

OK, so if I do the above, it will block the firmware update(s), but NOT prevent me from accessing the Wii U eShop?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so do the above, it will block the updates, but NOT prevent me from accessing the Wii U eShop.

1) it as simple as that?
2) it won't update the firmware?
It will prevent updates from being downloaded. It will also prevent the eShop from working, but you need to run NNU-Patcher to get the eShop working on 5.5.1, with or without these DNS blocks.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It will prevent updates from being downloaded. It will also prevent the eShop from working, but you need to run NNU-Patcher to get the eShop working on 5.5.1, with or without these DNS blocks.

Great, I'll read up on NNU-Patcher and report back.

THUMBS UP from me:)

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I've read-up on the NNU-Patcher part in order to block firmware updates.
It states it can only be launched or installed, via the Homebrew Channel.

But in order to install the Homebrew Channel, you need to be connected to the internet.

But when I do so, it'll continue downloading the update of the firmware!?!??

Sorry for my language, but WT(F)?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I've read-up on the NNU-Patcher part in order to block firmware updates.
It states it can only be launched or installed, via the Homebrew Channel.

But in order to install the Homebrew Channel, you need to be connected to the internet.

But when I do so, it'll continue downloading the update of the firmware!?!??

Sorry for my language, but WT(F)?
Follow the above steps to add the DNS settings, and the update shouldn't download.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Follow the above steps to add the DNS settings, and the update shouldn't download.
I get that.

But in order to install HAXCHI, I need to install a NDS virtual console game from the eStore.

But in order to do so, I need to connect to the internet.

If I follow your advice, I won't be able to access the eStore (to purchase the NDS virtual console game). Plus to use NNU Patcher, I need to access the Homebrew Channel, which needs internet access (which will then update my firmware).

Last edited by WineAnt,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that.

But in order to install HAXCHI, I need to install a NDS virtual console game from the eStore.

But in order to do so, I need to connect to the internet.

If I follow your advice, I won't be able to access the eStore (to purchase the NDS virtual console game).
Follow these steps in order:
  1. Add DNS settings
  2. Run NNU-Patcher
  3. Access the eShop
It should be noted that you don't need Haxchi if you're okay with running the internet browser each time you want to launch the Homebrew Launcher or CFW.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, here's my plan:

Use my original Wii for Wii & Gamecube stuff. (Since one can only have one HDD connected to the Wii U..).

On my Wii U, I want to connect a HDD for Wii U backups, if you know what I mean.

From what I read, HAXCHI is the best. I don't want to be forced to use the internet in order to load games backups, from a HDD. Nor running some server via my PC.

My Wii U is still untouched/virgin...

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my Wii U, I want to connect a HDD for Wii U backups, if you know what I mean.

From what I read, HAXCHI is the best. I don't want to be forced to use the internet in order to load games backups, from a HDD. Nor running some server via my PC.
Games that received a disc release don't require CFW to run them. In other words, depending on which games you plan on installing, you only need an internet connection to install them, not to play them.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Games that received a disc release don't require CFW to run them. In other words, depending on which games you plan on installing, you only need an internet connection to install them, not to play them.

Plan is to download games and run them from the HDD. Not bought stuff, if I can make it work. Understand better?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, here's my plan:

Use my original Wii for Wii & Gamecube stuff. (Since one can only have one HDD connected to the Wii U..).

My Wii U is still untouched/virgin...
Just read the noob guide. All of your questions you asked in this thread are already answered in that guide

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plan is to download games and run them from the HDD. Not bought stuff, if I can make it work. Understand better?
I understand exactly what you're saying, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm telling you that you don't really need Haxchi if all you're doing is installing some games to your USB HDD that received disc releases. After you've installed them to your HDD, you don't need to do anything special to be able to run and play them.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I understand exactly what you're saying, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm telling you that you don't really need Haxchi if all you're doing is installing some games to your USB HDD that received disc releases. After you've installed them to your HDD, you don't need to do anything special to be able to run and play them.
Thanks for getting back.

I am not planning on purchasing any physical or downloaded game version (digital version). I simply want to try & download Wii U games found on the net, & install/run them from the HDD.

Isn't HAXCHI needed to do so?

Last edited by WineAnt,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans