Blocking/Ignoring does not hide "Status Updates"

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's this really annoying person that linked his FB and GBATemp account that constantly updates his status on things that no one on GBATemp would have any clue what he's talking about. I blocked/ignored him on GBATemp, but it still shows the status updates for his every update to me. Can it be made where if you block a member, all their "Status Updates" get hidden as well?

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not assuming they know the difference but i just want a better system in the first place

Like what? A trollmeter?
Edit: What good would that even do? Writing someone off as a troll based on a metric like that would prevent you from ever seeing the amazing things these people can say if they actually bother to not troll you.
what good is ignoring the troll that does nothnig more than annoy you and they proabably never even post anything important in the first place apart from crap that feeds their trolling so missing out on those amzing trolling is good.
So that honestly is your solution? Measure how much of a troll someone is? And how do you suggest we go about that?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the members of the forum need to have explained to them what trolling means before any adjustments are made to the Ignoring/Blocking function. Differing opinions does not warrant a block.

Who cares what people do and don't want to see?
It's none of your concern really.

Tell that to the rest of forum, Hells.

k.

Hey everyone, block whoever you want.
It's totally fine.
You may start it in the rest of the forums too. Starting to fulfil Hydro's wish.

If only I weren't so lazy.
I'm sorry Hyro, I can't fulfill your dream. I feel awful, for the next 2.7 seconds.

Reactions: 1 person

Zekrom_cool

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
i'm not assuming they know the difference but i just want a better system in the first place

Like what? A trollmeter?
Edit: What good would that even do? Writing someone off as a troll based on a metric like that would prevent you from ever seeing the amazing things these people can say if they actually bother to not troll you.
what good is ignoring the troll that does nothnig more than annoy you and they proabably never even post anything important in the first place apart from crap that feeds their trolling so missing out on those amzing trolling is good.
So that honestly is your solution? Measure how much of a troll someone is? And how do you suggest we go about that?
Making special anti-troll mods like the podcast crew and irc mods. :P

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country

Zekrom_cool

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
Or alternatively we can just make the blocking thing a bit better.
A software has some loopholes but not as many as a manual effort.
Well to be honest I don't see a reason to do other stuff apart from just extending the blocking to blogs and status updates.
That is fine. But it limits to just such things. The mods will have to be on their toes if they want to stop the wrong happening in forums. Their work is perfect but it will become more tedious.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Or alternatively we can just make the blocking thing a bit better.
A software has some loopholes but not as many as a manual effort.
Well to be honest I don't see a reason to do other stuff apart from just extending the blocking to blogs and status updates.
That is fine. But it limits to just such things. The mods will have to be on their toes if they want to stop the wrong happening in forums. Their work is perfect but it will become more tedious.
Well I think thats a different issue from what is being proposed here.

BlazeV

Trophies
XP
Country

Like what? A trollmeter?
never said that just said that ignoring people is good when they are cleatly trolling

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if there were more than 15 or so blocks, the user gets a 20% warning. This would surely make the member wary of what nonsense he is doing.

I'm sure Guild will get banned if that came into use.

Technically I don't have a warning meter so it wouldn't apply to me.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck, so your like internet immortal.

Exactly.

I abuse the shit out of my position. Bitches over at the staff tried to stop me and I was like "fuck you" and they just gave me more power.

I'm a boss like that.

EDIT: But for the topic at hand...

They're just status updates. I hardly notice them myself.

You don't have to go to their blog. If it's someone you don't like and you see they made a blog, what would compel you to go "WELL I SHOULD READ THIS".

And the whole "15 ignores" thing is just completely flawed. If someone gets ignored 15 times because, I dunno, you don't like their avatar or signature, they don't deserve to get banned. Or if 15 people disagree with your opinion to the point of blocking you, you don't deserve to get banned either.

Any system that has members able to control who gets banned is a broken system.

Reactions: 2 people

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the members of the forum need to have explained to them what trolling means before any adjustments are made to the Ignoring/Blocking function. Differing opinions does not warrant a block.

Who cares what people do and don't want to see?
It's none of your concern really.

Tell that to the rest of forum, Hells.

k.

Hey everyone, block whoever you want.
It's totally fine.
You may start it in the rest of the forums too. Starting to fulfil Hydro's wish.

If only I weren't so lazy.
I'm sorry Hyro, I can't fulfill your dream. I feel awful, for the next 2.7 seconds.
Put into your signature. That'll take the lazy out of lazy.

@Topic: This needs to be fixed. I mean status updates aren't obtrusive, so it's not THAT big of a deal, but consistency is important.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
But the ignore isn't exclusively for trolls though
i just ignore people who i dont like, simply really.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder why I've not been blocked. :unsure: Anyway, I've only ever had two people on block, and they're not on the list anymore. One is now a reformed citizen, and the other still doesn't talk to me. :(

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But prowler you wub me you'd never put me on ignore.

I think I have like Valwin's signature on ignore (since he kept making it kinda NSFW and the last thing I want was some wandering eyes seeing that) and maybe _Chaz_ from a while ago. Not sure why.

Other people have come and gone, most of the former ignorees were banned eventually anyway.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country

That's what I'm against.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs