Hardware Black screen after entering games.

Koolfreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My son's 3ds began to black screen lately after trying to load original cartridge.

The OS boot normally. When I put the cartridge in the slot, the game appear normally. But when I touch the game, black screen occur after Nintendo 3DS logo.

Same thing with all the games... but with mario kart 7, I can see the Mario Kart 7 logo with the gear Rolling non stop.

I tried to format the console, to remove the SD card, to replace the SD card with another 3ds, I opened the back lid to remove the battery 5 minutes... but blackscreen was back.

Some sofware from the os work normally, other like photo blackscreen like the games

Is another move I could try to repair this?

BTW, the 3ds is out of warranty.

Thanx

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's this black screen that says, "An error has occurred..." then the WiFi board has probably come loose. A quick way to confirm if this is the cause without opening the console up is to turn the WiFi switch off. If the console works normally with the WiFi switch off and then gives you the error message shortly after flipping it back on then it means you probably just need to reseat the WiFi board. The instructions are for replacing it, but if the board itself is good, you can just remove it and then reseat it.

A loose WiFi board, however, wouldn't cause a black screen for the camera app as far as I know. Although if the camera ribbon cable is disconnected when you try to open the camera app you do get the "An error has occurred" screen.

If it's a solid black screen with no error message though, I'd also like to know what causes that.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually just tested and it turns out I was wrong; you do get a solid black screen with no error message if you remove the WiFi board and then try to open the camera app. I don't have a copy of Mario Kart 7 so I can't test that particular game, but when I tried to launch Zelda: Ocarina of Time while the WiFi board was removed I got a solid black screen with no error message also. It made no difference if I flipped the WiFi switch to the off position beforehand. So it looks like your problem could still be WiFi-related.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since you opened it up already, try buying a replacement WiFi board from eBay and put that in the place of the old one. if your WiFi card is faulty, using a different one will fix the problem.

I would buy one from a US based seller, as it seems nobody in Canada is selling one and at least a couple of the ones from US sellers are cheap and label them as genuine, pulled from working system.
those kind are the ones to get.

Koolfreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok... I've tested with other games owned by my neightbor... Stafox 3d, mario 3d land, super mario bros 2 and superhero squad works flawlessly.

Merio Kart, Rayman, Asphalt 3d, lego city undercover don't work.

Weird...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1