Hacking Black screen after A9LH update

ilidiankid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys please help...I think I'm also in a similar position. N3DSLL region changed to have English userface on 9.2. I tried updating A9LH. got, the the green success prompt, pressed Start to turn off device and now I can't boot it back up. Screen stays black after turning on, blue power light stays on though. Can't load into Hourglass...I tried the solutions for "black screen" cases here https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting but still no dice...If hardmod is the only solution, how do I do it?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So even after reading this and went ahead and updated my A9LH as per the guide. The same thing happened to me. Both black screens, no sound, no payloads loading etc etc. When I took the SD card and tried to boot though it went out almost immediately so I knew I still had A9LH installed. Guess what fixed it? Renaming the payload to arm9loaderhax_si.bin instead. Now everything is working just fine. Whew! I scared myself haha

Reactions: Quantumcat

theplumber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys please help...I think I'm also in a similar position. N3DSLL region changed to have English userface on 9.2. I tried updating A9LH. got, the the green success prompt, pressed Start to turn off device and now I can't boot it back up. Screen stays black after turning on, blue power light stays on though. Can't load into Hourglass...I tried the solutions for "black screen" cases here https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting but still no dice...If hardmod is the only solution, how do I do it?

*Edit: I misread - you were in the process of updating A9LH.

For a list of hardmodders, check out GBATemp's List of hardmod installers by region

Last edited by theplumber,

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did not remove the battery or the SD card while the console was on/updating. A9LH updated without errors and I turned off the console when the installer prompted to turn it off. Then I removed the sd card.

I installed A9LH when it came out for the N3DS with 9.2, so a long ago...

I did have SDless and used it with no problems for quite a while.

I did delete the A9LH folder and left no traces of previous installations.

I think I used the correct files. I did the same as always, download the SafeA9LHInstaller zip from Plailect's guide. This one: https://github.com/Plailect/SafeA9LHInstaller/releases/tag/v2.0.6

OTP.bin is nowhere to be found.

I can confirm now that it is a brick and hardmod is my only solution.

But that installer did brick my console.

Did it brick after you installed SafeA9LHInstaller?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Is there any reason to update A9LH in the first place? If it ain't broken don't fix it? Why even attempt messing with something that could potentially cause a brick for no benefit whatsoever? While updating A9LH *should* be safe, you're still messing with things that have the potential to brick your console .. For what reason?

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason to update A9LH in the first place? If it ain't broken don't fix it? Why even attempt messing with something that could potentially cause a brick for no benefit whatsoever? While updating A9LH *should* be safe, you're still messing with things that have the potential to brick your console .. For what reason?
I updated my A9LH because I had an older version that would not allow me to boot without SDCard so I followed that guide and updated my A9LH and it bricked my 3DS as well because I used the wrong SafeInstaller for my O3DS since it did not say which version of Safeinstaller to use. The full install guide however does tell you.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I updated my A9LH because I had an older version that would not allow me to boot without SDCard so I followed that guide and updated my A9LH and it bricked my 3DS as well because I used the wrong SafeInstaller for my O3DS since it did not say which version of Safeinstaller to use. The full install guide however does tell you.

I mean that's a fair point but I'd say that was on you still .. Anyone who's seeking to update A9LH should at the very minimum research greatly in advance just to be safe. I don't know about you but if I was to update my A9LH I'd rather be annoying and ask stupid/annoying questions on this forum till I understood 100% what I'm doing and with what am I doing it with rather than just doing it on my own and risk a brick :x

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already have A9LH the update files are compatible with all system models, so that's not the issue. Like I said, some people may have a screen init version try renaming your arm9loaderhax.bin to arm9loaderhax_si.bin. It won't hurt you to try right? It fixed my issue. Anyhow, the only really way you could brick is by using incompatible versions of the A9LH payloads and the installer. With the most current version as downloaded per the guide, works just fine and they are compatible (by that I mean the realesez.zip payload stages, the data_inputv4 secret sector and FIRM 0/1.bin, as well as SafeA9LHInstaller v2.6.7) so if you downloaded the files directly from the guide, I don't see a reason why anyone should brick.

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean that's a fair point but I'd say that was on you still .. Anyone who's seeking to update A9LH should at the very minimum research greatly in advance just to be safe. I don't know about you but if I was to update my A9LH I'd rather be annoying and ask stupid/annoying questions on this forum till I understood 100% what I'm doing and with what am I doing it with rather than just doing it on my own and risk a brick :x
It was my bad for not reading and reasearching before doing the updgrade as it's been many months since I did the last upgrade and didn't know there were different versions of SafeInstaller for Old and New 3DS.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the main reason to update A9LH for most people is to be able to use SDless booting. Also, a lot of people still have v1 if they installed before June last year, and later versions allow larger payloads (Not that it really matters now, but it might in the future). My argument was the same as yours, don't fix what isn't broke but I feared falling out of date when sighax is so close might do more harm than good later.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It was my bad for not reading and reasearching before doing the updgrade as it's been many months since I did the last upgrade and didn't know there were different versions of SafeInstaller for Old and New 3DS.
There isn't......

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the main reason to update A9LH for most people is to be able to use SDless booting. Also, a lot of people still have v1 if they installed before June last year, and later versions allow larger payloads (Not that it really matters now, but it might in the future). My argument was the same as yours, don't fix what isn't broke but I feared falling out of date when sighax is so close might do more harm than good later.

There isn't......
Yes there are different versions depending on Old or New 3DS that's how I bricked mine. Go read the Github for SafeIntsaller.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes there are different versions depending on Old or New 3DS that's how I bricked mine. Go read the Github for SafeIntsaller.
The latest version that you should be using is for either one. Otherwise I'm pretty sure the section of the guide here would have two separate mirrors for updating. NO where in that guide does it offer two mirrors for SafeA9LHInstaller. Can you give me a link to the one you're referring to? Because neither version linked in the guide suggest by everyone has two versions per model.

If you're following "THE guide" you should never be using SafeA9lHInstaller version over 2.x with the payloads supplied or you will brick. So if you used like 3.0 with the files in data_inputv4 it's a sure brick.

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest version that you should be using is for either one. Otherwise I'm pretty sure the section of the guide here would have two separate mirrors for updating. NO where in that guide does it offer two mirrors for SafeA9LHInstaller. Can you give me a link to the one you're referring to? Because neither version linked in the guide suggest by everyone has two versions per model.
I used either 2.6.6 or 2.6.7 at the time when I upgrdaed my A9LH back around November so whichever was the latest version from the guide. This version appears to be only for N3DS and not the O3DS as it needed to use v2.0.5 or 2.0.6 I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look up the link but it's in the Github somewhere.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used either 2.6.6 or 2.6.7 at the time when I upgrdaed my A9LH back around November so whichever was the latest version from the guide. This version appears to be only for N3DS and not the O3DS as it needed to use v2.0.5 or 2.0.6 I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look up the link but it's in the Github somewhere.
Which is why the guide links V 2.0.6 which is universal to both, just like it link v 2.6.7 to update because it's also universal for both. So... Just saying like the third most common way to brick is people using the most recent releases vs using the ones actually linked.

Last edited by Majickhat55,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I literally just did an O3DS not 10 minutes ago with the files linked in the guide (AND it was freaking out and in German at the time). I was still able to install A9lH fine with the files linked. You guys just need to learn how to read thoroughly and use what's given, not what you think is best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1