Bitorrent Help

kcbomber

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well whenever i open bitorrent to try and download a file, it tends to disconnect after about twenty minutes or so. Once my bitorrent disconnects, it stops all internet connectivity. I'm not sure if it has to do with my downloading rate becomes too high so it automatically disconnects. If it helps, the bitorrent program I use is Bitorrnado. Does anyone know what's going on with my bitorrent. Thanks For your Help. Much appreciated!
grog.gif

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe:
1) Your router/modem suck
2) Your ISP is throttling your net due to increase in traffic
3) Your BT program sucks. Get uTorrent.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well whenever i open bitorrent to try and download a file, it tends to disconnect after about twenty minutes or so. Once my bitorrent disconnects, it stops all internet connectivity. I'm not sure if it has to do with my downloading rate becomes too high so it automatically disconnects. If it helps, the bitorrent program I use is Bitorrnado. Does anyone know what's going on with my bitorrent. Thanks For your Help. Much appreciated!Â
grog.gif

Does your internet also die when downloading a large file normally of an HTTP website?

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be a couple of things.

I had a crappy router that gave out if too much bandwidth was used. I don't know if you're using a router or not but try updating the firmware on it to the latest.

also, I had a friend with cable internet (comcast) and they froze his internet if he used too much bandwidth in a certain amount of time so he'd have to reset his modem/router. but then he got a router that automatically detected that and fixed it automatically

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Torrents are lame. Look into usenet. It's much faster and safer. Also, it doesn't lag out your internet connection near as much as torrents. A torrent could be downloading at 3.2 kbps, and you'll have very high pings in online games, and your internet browser will be unresponsive at times.

With usenet, I can download at full bandwidth and have no lag and perfect internet browsing.

clivefrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
news groups are great if you're a super leech and you want to pay for downloading stuff you could get for free elsewhere. Yeah you can get stuff faster and with less hassle, but news groups aren't really for the masses are they?? so why preach to them...

tetsuya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well whenever i open bitorrent to try and download a file, it tends to disconnect after about twenty minutes or so. Once my bitorrent disconnects, it stops all internet connectivity. I'm not sure if it has to do with my downloading rate becomes too high so it automatically disconnects. If it helps, the bitorrent program I use is Bitorrnado. Does anyone know what's going on with my bitorrent. Thanks For your Help. Much appreciated!Â
grog.gif

I also have the same problem.I switch between 3 routers, 2 modem, and several bitorrent program and still cant solve the problem. Its been a year already so screw it. It might be what kyoji said 2) Your ISP is throttling your net due to increase in traffic

Torrents are lame. Look into usenet. It's much faster and safer. Also, it doesn't lag out your internet connection near as much as torrents. A torrent could be downloading at 3.2 kbps, and you'll have very high pings in online games, and your internet browser will be unresponsive at times.

With usenet, I can download at full bandwidth and have no lag and perfect internet browsing.

Hmm thats opposite for me. I have a 784kbps and when I use usenet, I cant even play counterstrike because my pings in the 500 ranges.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Once my bitorrent disconnects, it stops all internet connectivity.
That makes no sense, it's probably the other way around. Your internet connection stops, which cuts off the bittorrent.

Do a test; try limiting the bandwidth (maximum download / upload speeds) to something smaller (10 up, 20 down) and see what happens. (I think Bitornado can do it.) If it works then it was probably the ISP interviening and cutting you off. (you can probably get away with figures higher than that but for the sake of this test start low). The ISP's more likely to notice the Upload stream than the download one.

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
news groups are great if you're a super leech and you want to pay for downloading stuff you could get for free elsewhere. Yeah you can get stuff faster and with less hassle, but news groups aren't really for the masses are they?? so why preach to them...

alot of people with high speed internet can use their ISPs news server for free, such as roadrunner. no need to fork out more dough.

D

Deleted User

Use uTorrent and try lowering the global maximum number of connections in the preferences.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to add to this, it may also be your firewall (Zone alarm did it for me).

The bandwidth thing is sort of correct as well, I find powering down the modem for 5 minutes or pulling your connection sorts things if you have it set to a lot of active peers.

gatorade

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like other said, utorrent ftw

you could try using older versions (google it) as there has been some concerns ever since the ownership changed

Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you use a router? Some routers cant handle the amount of connections that bittorrent creates and will crash. After the crash you have to restart the router and your connection will resume. If that is the case, you may have to limit the amount of connections that your client makes. This can result in slower downloads but your router shouldn't crash anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: