BioShock Infinite possibly not having multiplayer?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The first his BioShock game had no multiplayer mode, a rarity for first-person shooters. BioShock 2, which was overseen by a different creative team, added multiplayer. The series' next game may not, BioShock's original creator told Kotaku.

"Here's what I have to say about multiplayer," Irrational Games creative director Ken Levine said as I broached the topic during an interview with the designer last week in New York City. "It's what we said about BioShock 1: We have not made any determinations about multiplayer.

"I will say that we experiment with things, but for us we are never interested in making a multiplayer mode you could just play in some other game. Because, A) that's not creatively interesting and B), financially, you're wasting your time. They're going to go play Halo. They're going to go play Call of Duty.

"If we do something new — if we do something like Left 4 Dead that has something new to say — people will come to your game. If you don't, don't waste your time."

Over a year ago, Levine was on a panel I co-hosted at the New York Comic Con. He mentioned then, back when his next game was still a mystery to the public, that he was making himself play more multiplayer games, despite typically playing solo games. That does not mean, he said during our Bioshock Infinite interview last week, that he would include multiplayer in Infinite.

"You're not much of a game designer if you can't draw lessons out of A) good games and bad games and B) games that are not really applicable to what you are doing," he said. "You need to look past the surface." The interaction of the lead characters in Left4Dead, for example, inspired the interaction between the two lead characters in the single-player demo of BioShock Infinite that debuted in New York last week.

Multiplayer has been a staple of recent hit games and designs that allow for more than solo-play have become integral to formerly solo-only series as disparate as Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto and Resident Evil.

If BioShock Infinite lacks multiplayer, it will join another rare crowd, the lonely gathering of series like Metroid Prime that added multiplayer for one sequel and then excluded it for the next.

Source

I do like how they approached it though. They realize it won't be genuinely popular unless they make it unique. They don't want another Halo or Call of Duty in terms of multiplayer since they'll just be swept away. But make something unique like Left 4 Dead (which is quite the popular multiplayer game) and you can have a surprise hit. Although really it's hard to make a game with both exceptional single and multiplayer. Doesn't matter to me anyway, I didn't like the first BioShock and I'm not tempted on trying the second.

I'm always a fan of your standard "Horde Mode" survival type of game.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully it wont have any MP. Bioshock 2 is a good display of what using funds and space for MP does to a game that's not meant to have it. There are single player games, and multiplayer games. Bioshock is meant to be single player.

Aman27deep

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
India
geminisama said:
Hopefully it wont have any MP. Bioshock 2 is a good display of what using funds and space for MP does to a game that's not meant to have it. There are single player games, and multiplayer games. Bioshock is meant to be single player.

I totally agree with the guy, I have original BS 2 and its multiplayer was really broken, moreover it was SUPER LAGGY too. Useless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo