Homebrew BGM Help

TurboMair

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on an o2ds and I used Audacity to convert it to a Wav first. Then i have used both Yata+ And Looping Audio Converter to convert it to a bcstm. When I'm using the Looping Audio Converter to change the Hz it freezes on export and I have to close it. I changed it in Audacity instead. I transfer it to my o2ds and have used both anemone and themely to install it and still, no bgm playing. Just silence. Someone said changing the name of the bgm helps, but it did not. I have used both the original Hz and the 22050 Hz. I used the normal sterio and converted it in Looping Audio Converter and I have used Audacity to mix the tracks to 1. No help.

I have the flag for bgm on and it does play in 3DS Theme Editor and Yata+.

It's really annoying, I've spent all my free time of 2 days trying to get this to work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is the link to the original .mp3 file I downloaded because I can't seem to upload the .mp3 myself.
(I'm a new member so I can't put a hyperlink so just put them together uwu)
ia801208.us.archive
____
.org/2/items/SU_Soundtrack_Complete_23567564/%23%20Lion%27s%20Mane.mp3

Last edited by TurboMair,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, a fellow Steven Universe fan. It's a beautiful song.

How to force loop a 3DS theme BGM using # Lion's Mane.mp3 as an example.

1. AudacityOpen... File Name: # Lion's Mane.mp3Open
2. Highlight select the portion you wish to loop.
  • You can make fine adjustments clicking one of the bottom ▼ symbols. I used hh:mm:ss + milliseconds and manually filled in the starting and ending time stamps.
  • In the example picture shown below, I chose an interval starting from (00 min : 00 sec) and ending at (01 min : 05 sec). This clips off about ~1.7 sec.
  • After determining which exact section of the audio you wish to loop, switch the option to samples and record the numbers.
    • In the case of (01 min : 05 sec), this translates to a sample at 002866500.
  • It is easier to highlight select the entire song when viewing in samples; you should see a yellow vertical line when dragging the mouse to the right edge.
Audacity-time.png

3. Exit out of Audacity; no need to convert or save that *.mp3 into a *.wav. That'll just degrade the audio quality.

4. Open Notepad and specify the (1) starting & ending samples and (2) name of the song file. Save that as loop.txt and put it in the same folder that LoopingAudioConverter.exe is located.
  • It should be possible to specify multiple audio files with differing ranges of starting/ending samples and names. Each file will have their own text line.

5. Launch the Looping Audio Converter program. Either Add or drag & drop the *.mp3 into the top box. Use these settings and hit Start.
  • Edit: Testing was originally done on v1.3 of this program. For v2.1.0 and newer, see additional info at post #8 here.
  • Put each pair of channels in its own file
  • older builds, Output format: BCSTM
    • newer builds, Output format: BCSTM (BrawlLib)
  • ☐ Export whole song
  • ☑ Export loop segment
Looping-Audio-Converter.png

6. Unless you picked a different Output directory that's not ./output, you should find # Lion's Mane (loop).bcstm in the output folder.
  • Remember, the 3.30 MB size limit still applies. Adjust playback duration, sample rate (Hz), etc. to bring that file size within that threshold.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

TurboMair

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're everywhere TurdPooCharger. You were in every thread I checked on this issue.

Anyways, I followed your instructions and I put the new theme on my SD, I also deleted the old one just to be safe, set the theme to black so I could tell it changed, loaded it up, and still no sound.
This is probably an issue with installing it and more on the o2ds side but I can't figure out what. I have CFW and all the updates.

Any other suggestions?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0. Make sure your Lion's Mane theme folder contains these files exactly as named:
Code:
bgm.bcstm
bgm.ogg
body_LZ.bin
icon.png
info.smdh
name.txt
preview.png
1. Deleting the theme extdata folder found on your SD card.

2. Update to the latest available Anemone3DS found here if you haven't already.
  • Current version is v2.1.0 Beta.

3. Use the 3DS native theme manager to install basic color theme shuffle. This will rebuild and fix the extdata folder.

4. Try your custom theme again with Anemone3DS. If it doesn't work, archive your work-in-progress theme and upload at a file host for others to try troubleshooting.
  • Because you're a new member, you can't upload on GBAtemp yet. Resort to typing like this: www . gbatemp . net
  • If you require privacy on your work, you may password protect the name and access of the archive with 7-Zip or WinRAR.
    • I'll contact you through private messaging (PM) for the password.
  • I recommend uploading at 1fichier.com as it has the feature to delete your file at any moment. Just save the second provided link when you need to delete.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need the .ogg file? I thought that was for preview only and was not needed.
Yes, correct. The *.ogg is for theme previewing purposes. That's not needed when installing themes on HOME Menu.

Edit - You can test your *.bcstm for problems by swapping places with a known working theme. If your BGM works on that substitute theme, perhaps your problem lies with the body_LZ.bin?

TurboMair

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested out a theme online, Ocarina of time, and the bgm loaded perfectly.
I then added an bgm.ogg file, just to test it out, and it loaded the song in preview. It was a bit grainy and sounded not the best but probably because I just converted it off the bgm.bcstm
I installed it and still no music.

I would be okay with a troubleshoot so if you would pm me I will send you a link to the file.

I'll update this thread with the issue if it is found and possibly close it with a solution.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested out a theme online, Ocarina of time, and the bgm loaded perfectly.
I then added an bgm.ogg file, just to test it out, and it loaded the song in preview. It was a bit grainy and sounded not the best but probably because I just converted it off the bgm.bcstm
I installed it and still no music.

I would be okay with a troubleshoot so if you would pm me I will send you a link to the file.

I'll update this thread with the issue if it is found and possibly close it with a solution.
To make high quality bgm.ogg, use EZ CD Audio Converter with these settings:
  • Format: .ogg | Vorbis
  • VBR
  • Quality: 10
  • Stereo
That program has the ability to convert between several audio standards like VBR LAME mp3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, etc.

I took a look at the theme you shared. Yah, something is wrong with your bgm.bcstm. Are you by any chance using the latest Looping Audio Converter v2.1.0?

I have a Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop and was using the v1.3 of that software with no issue. I haven't test their current release yet.

Not a bug and not related to the nonworking BGM, but my semi-OCD radar picked this out: body_lz.bin should be → body_LZ.bin for consistency. I mean, you could name with mixed upper and lower casings.

Provided in the archive are the full and 1min : 05 sec cropped *.bcstm with full *.ogg preview. This doesn't solve the issue why you can't seem to convert the bgm, posing a problem with further theme creation. :/

EDIT
- I found the issue. For Looping Audio Converter v2.1.0, select:
  • Output format: BCSTM (BrawlLib)
You still need to the manual Audacity → loop.txt fix.

Looping-Audio-Convert-v2-1-0.png

Edit - 10/25/2018, removed the attached file as it served its purpose.

TurboMair

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using the newest one, I hadn't even thought of that.

And yes it workkked! The sweet sound of success makes me whole. Thanks so much!

Also that means there might me a possible bug with the newest version of LoopingAudioConverter. I am going to download v1.3 and make a different theme to test it out.

Looking through the releases on LoopingAudioConverter it shows they changed from BrawlLib to VGAudio on brstm and like files for export. Could this be the issue?

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using the newest one, I hadn't even thought of that.

And yes it workkked! The sweet sound of success makes me whole. Thanks so much!

Also that means there might me a possible bug with the newest version of LoopingAudioConverter. I am going to download v1.3 and make a different theme to test it out.

Looking through the releases on LoopingAudioConverter it shows they changed from BrawlLib to VGAudio on brstm and like files for export. Could this be the issue?

Hey, I edited the post above yours with what I found about v2.1.0. Yah, it's using the wrong type of BCSTM that caused the BGM not to playback. Nothing wrong with the newest version of the program, just additional things to watch out for.

Well, I'll be deleting your theme. Happy theme making and if you plan to later share them,

Zero20

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello i have another problem the program has a proplem with reading the .mp3 file.
I hope that someone can help me because I'm quite new in the whole costum scene. I packed the .mp3 file into a link. that's the google drive link. The pictures show the error that always occurs with me no matter what .mp3 file and the settings (since I have registered again I can not send links so to complete the link I have to add a drive. google. com without the spaces)

Link: /open?id=15d_Vd00A78hzdmIM5oXJLvNudTMcaSJL

upload_2020-5-10_11-56-33.png

Last edited by Zero20,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.