Homebrew RELEASE [Beta] Nook Community | Free website for Animal Crossing

fafaffy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, over the last couple of weeks I've been working on a little pet project to improve our animal crossing experience.

The end goal is to have a one-stop site for all your animal crossing needs. For right now, I'll have to settle for the absolute basics.

Features:
  • Smart availability - See what's available now instantly! With both North and South hemisphere support
  • Smart item search - quickly and easily check any item (bug/fish/fossil for right now) in game and see information regarding it.
  • Manage your Animal Crossing collectables online! You will be able to check off any fish/fossil/bug you acquired in-game - even right in the search menu!
  • Live sync! As you check off your items, the changes will automagically propagate to wherever else you have the site opened
  • Mobile Friendly
  • Clean UI with optional Dark Mode

Known Issues:
  • Main page table filter button does not work
Planned Features:
  • Smart fish/bug recommendations
    • Since we know what time it is, and what you have yet to collect - the site will soon be able to recommend what to catch next!
  • Events Database
    • See what events are coming up
  • NooksList
    • A craigslist-esqued marketplace. Be able to put up trade requests and trade with others
    • This will also include a turnip price section. Advertise your high turnip prices and get a commission!
  • Pattern Database
    • Easily and quickly share any patterns you've made and discover patterns made by others!
https://nookcommunity.com

Please let me know if there are any issues or features that you would like to see!

Now with all that out of the way, I'm sure you would like some screenshots:
upload_2020-4-2_10-46-48.png

upload_2020-4-2_10-47-33.png

upload_2020-4-2_10-48-4.png

upload_2020-4-2_10-48-26.png

Last edited by fafaffy,

supaastahhmarioo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow I can’t even lie this is amazing dude. Mad credits for you. Let’s help this project grow with more ideas in the future hehe

fafaffy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is the marketplace going to work?
I'm still debating the best way to proceed with this.
However, I think it'll be either (or both):
  • Sell item for bells/website currency
  • Buy requests for bells/website currency
You'll put up an item you want to sell and give a category of what it is (i.e. furniture, clothes, etc..). Then you'll put up how much you want to sell it for, and I'll have some sort of notification system whenever you get a buyer.

Likewise, if you're looking for something, you'll put a description of what you're after, a category, and how much you're willing to pay.

I'm up for any suggestion if you feel there is a better way to implement this, though.

Wow this looks good. No longer a need to keep looking at text guides.

Thanks!
Thank you! I don't think this will be the sole resource you need for a while, but I hope to get there one day.

Reactions: Asia81

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You'll put up an item you want to sell and give a category of what it is (i.e. furniture, clothes, etc..). Then you'll put up how much you want to sell it for, and I'll have some sort of notification system whenever you get a buyer.
Interesting

Daninator1

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Looking great! I was also looking into creating such a website but doesn't seem to be necessary now :lol:
Anyway, any chance I could help with development? Like, is there a public GitHub repo where one could participate?

fafaffy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking great! I was also looking into creating such a website but doesn't seem to be necessary now :lol:
Anyway, any chance I could help with development? Like, is there a public GitHub repo where one could participate?
There may be in the future. Right now I can’t since I used a react template with a license that wouldn’t let me. If the site becomes popular enough, it could be something I revisit.

Daninator1

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
There may be in the future. Right now I can’t since I used a react template with a license that wouldn’t let me. If the site becomes popular enough, it could be something I revisit.
Alright, I've got some experience with Angular which shouldn't be that big of a difference I think. Just hit me a pm if there's any need for help in the future, the website already looks very promising! ^_^

fafaffy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I've got some experience with Angular which shouldn't be that big of a difference I think. Just hit me a pm if there's any need for help in the future, the website already looks very promising! ^_^
For sure! I feel the most help I'll need is in terms of the database of Animal Crossing items. It's hard to find a complete accurate source of what all exists (like recipes/items).

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
I'm still debating the best way to proceed with this.
However, I think it'll be either (or both):
  • Sell item for bells/website currency
  • Buy requests for bells/website currency

Likewise, if you're looking for something, you'll put a description of what you're after, a category, and how much you're willing to pay.

I'm up for any suggestion if you feel there is a better way to implement this, though.

Thank you! I don't think this will be the sole resource you need for a while, but I hope to get there one day.

I can't really speak to that way because my mind cannot envision how it will all fully work out. How would people "withdraw" their bells? How do they "spend" them? Could you provide some mock examples of the way a transaction would work from start to finish, from having a item on your switch, buying/selling and then obtaining the item/bells?

One way to mitigate this is to have fee makers/takers. You can have trusted admin's act as central bankers. Essentially the easiest way to do this would be to setup a new instance and do the time traveling + interest trick so that you have virtually unlimited funds and then use that instance as a means to act as a banker. They would earn a percentage of of the transaction acting as a fee broker.

The same model could work for those who have just progressed far and have really healthy bank accounts of course, the time traveling is not needed its just a efficient shortcut. The fee model definitely works better for those who have honestly earned their bells as they value them more, whereas the person who exploits doesn't really care about money. If there was some sort of ranking system built into the market or some value accrued then the fee makers could have other incentives to act as escrow agents or brokers.

So you can have a group of individuals who have timeslots for payouts combined with your websites virtual currency, that way they can act as exchangers to bridge your virtual currency to real bells.

Look forward to your replies.

fafaffy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really speak to that way because my mind cannot envision how it will all fully work out. How would people "withdraw" their bells? How do they "spend" them? Could you provide some mock examples of the way a transaction would work from start to finish, from having a item on your switch, buying/selling and then obtaining the item/bells?

One way to mitigate this is to have fee makers/takers. You can have trusted admin's act as central bankers. Essentially the easiest way to do this would be to setup a new instance and do the time traveling + interest trick so that you have virtually unlimited funds and then use that instance as a means to act as a banker. They would earn a percentage of of the transaction acting as a fee broker.

The same model could work for those who have just progressed far and have really healthy bank accounts of course, the time traveling is not needed its just a efficient shortcut. The fee model definitely works better for those who have honestly earned their bells as they value them more, whereas the person who exploits doesn't really care about money. If there was some sort of ranking system built into the market or some value accrued then the fee makers could have other incentives to act as escrow agents or brokers.

So you can have a group of individuals who have timeslots for payouts combined with your websites virtual currency, that way they can act as exchangers to bridge your virtual currency to real bells.

Look forward to your replies.

Sorry for being unclear, let me explain what I'm envisioning:

The things I'm trying to tackle is a trusted and natural trading experience on the site. This is a two-fold problem and I don't think I have the perfect solution but I'm thinking the following:

Web Currency:
  • This would strictly stay a web currency. You would not deposit nor withdraw this into Animal Crossing. The game is not designed with this in mind, and it is not scalable to do anything manual (i.e. the time traveled switch).
  • You would accrue web currency just by using the site, and over time. This prevents scammers from mass-registering and scamming others (or creating junk posts in the marketplace). It adds friction to posting - and encourages only legitimate business. I'm still not sure how I want to proceed with this, but this is my current plan.
  • Web currency might be redeemable later for cosmetics (like achievements, etc..)
  • There may be a potential where you can sell things strictly for web currency. Due to how easy it would be to scam, you would need to be a certain reputation to perform the transaction (i.e. more friction to perform a measly scam).
    • This might be something interesting to look at - because web currency can be a more elusive, accepted currency for rare items. We'll see what happens.
  • The other major benefit to web currency is that it is a fair currency. You can't just time travel 5 years in Animal Crossing, be rich, and buy out the whole store. You'll need to earn items fair and square like everyone else. This is a big thing for me, as it allows people to disrupt the marketplace with hacked goods and manipulated currency.
Bells:
  • On your post, you say what you want to sell, and for how much. Naturally when you make a post, you and the buyer will have to agree to visit eachothers island, and it's up to them to sell the item for the given price. There is potential for scamming here, and I might use the web currency requirement for both the buyer and seller to induce friction and mitigate this.

Reactions: iriez

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for being unclear, let me explain what I'm envisioning:

The things I'm trying to tackle is a trusted and natural trading experience on the site. This is a two-fold problem and I don't think I have the perfect solution but I'm thinking the following:

Web Currency:
  • This would strictly stay a web currency. You would not deposit nor withdraw this into Animal Crossing. The game is not designed with this in mind, and it is not scalable to do anything manual (i.e. the time traveled switch).
  • You would accrue web currency just by using the site, and over time. This prevents scammers from mass-registering and scamming others (or creating junk posts in the marketplace). It adds friction to posting - and encourages only legitimate business. I'm still not sure how I want to proceed with this, but this is my current plan.
  • Web currency might be redeemable later for cosmetics (like achievements, etc..)
  • There may be a potential where you can sell things strictly for web currency. Due to how easy it would be to scam, you would need to be a certain reputation to perform the transaction (i.e. more friction to perform a measly scam).
    • This might be something interesting to look at - because web currency can be a more elusive, accepted currency for rare items. We'll see what happens.
  • The other major benefit to web currency is that it is a fair currency. You can't just time travel 5 years in Animal Crossing, be rich, and buy out the whole store. You'll need to earn items fair and square like everyone else. This is a big thing for me, as it allows people to disrupt the marketplace with hacked goods and manipulated currency.
Bells:
  • On your post, you say what you want to sell, and for how much. Naturally when you make a post, you and the buyer will have to agree to visit eachothers island, and it's up to them to sell the item for the given price. There is potential for scamming here, and I might use the web currency requirement for both the buyer and seller to induce friction and mitigate this.

Ok, so then no bells involved. I would call this a token, because it is a representation of wealth and not an actual currency. Perhaps ACT (animal crossing tokens) would be a good acronymn.

It could work well if you can bootstrap the economy. You may have to provide incentives like providing free ACT's to people or acting as a initial broker and giving out a lot of ACT's by buying lots of items.

I would suggest since this is trust-based to use a simply escrow system whereby the user buying deposits the funds into a holding account (this can be mostly invisible to both parties) and then both parties have to release escrow in order for the transaction to occur, preventing one side from scamming the other. This does create a exploitable vector whereby one side just refuses to release and holds the money up, making more demands. Since these are not recorded transactions (I doubt people are going to be video capturing) it will be impossible to mediate.

I would put out a suggestion that people use their smartphones to record the transaction if its more than a small trade to keep both parties honest and to provide evidence for review.

This would require a lot of trusted individuals volunteering their time as mediators.

Looking forward to what you do! Also, what I mentioned before can still work on your site with a strictly token-based economy. There can always be individuals acting as brokers willing to "cash out" people wishing to sell their token's for bells. I can't think this would become a problem unless the site got insanely popular. In the end, you won't be able to control this aspect, people will treat it as a free market and buy/sell as their hearts desire. I question where the motive would come from for a person to waste his time time traveling to make money just to act as a broker to the people wanting to cash out....there's no incentive for them other than altruism.

fafaffy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:
- Added availability logic. Now easily see what's available now, and what's not (for both North and South hemisphere)

- Main dashboard table is now accurate as well. Expect further refinement (filter button still not working), but is now usable. Thanks for waiting patiently
upload_2020-4-5_17-40-21.png

Last edited by fafaffy,

fafaffy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so then no bells involved. I would call this a token, because it is a representation of wealth and not an actual currency. Perhaps ACT (animal crossing tokens) would be a good acronymn.

It could work well if you can bootstrap the economy. You may have to provide incentives like providing free ACT's to people or acting as a initial broker and giving out a lot of ACT's by buying lots of items.

I would suggest since this is trust-based to use a simply escrow system whereby the user buying deposits the funds into a holding account (this can be mostly invisible to both parties) and then both parties have to release escrow in order for the transaction to occur, preventing one side from scamming the other. This does create a exploitable vector whereby one side just refuses to release and holds the money up, making more demands. Since these are not recorded transactions (I doubt people are going to be video capturing) it will be impossible to mediate.

I would put out a suggestion that people use their smartphones to record the transaction if its more than a small trade to keep both parties honest and to provide evidence for review.

This would require a lot of trusted individuals volunteering their time as mediators.

Looking forward to what you do! Also, what I mentioned before can still work on your site with a strictly token-based economy. There can always be individuals acting as brokers willing to "cash out" people wishing to sell their token's for bells. I can't think this would become a problem unless the site got insanely popular. In the end, you won't be able to control this aspect, people will treat it as a free market and buy/sell as their hearts desire. I question where the motive would come from for a person to waste his time time traveling to make money just to act as a broker to the people wanting to cash out....there's no incentive for them other than altruism.

Glad you brought up the naming, and I agree! I think token would be a good name instead of currency (specifically your ACT).

I can look into having an escrow - however that does put strain on my service and as it's all free, I would not be able to sustain it. I could have "moderators" but then they're equally able to scam/exploit the market. I think your thing of saying record the transaction with your phone or something is smart.

Additionally, I can also force unique friend codes/dojo codes to be on peoples profile - and if it's ever re-used - ban the account if they were caught scamming before.

A lot to think about for sure, I think once I start coding the marketplace, it'll all come together and an obvious solution should (hopefully) arise.

Reactions: iriez

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
This is looking pretty smooth and visually appealing.

Get that filter button working and it will be full of love from me :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y