Best way to update?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Yakomo, May 7, 2010.

May 7, 2010

Best way to update? by Yakomo at 11:13 PM (782 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Yakomo
    OP

Newcomer Yakomo Member

United States
    Hey everyone,

have been off a little while, pretty happy with my 4.1E, no reason to update to 4.2. Now I bought my son the new "Avatar" game (I know, I know...) and it requires updating, so I thought "heck, lets do it now". So my question, how do I best and safest update to 4.2? Is zektor's "v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater" still the best way to go? What else afterwards? I read couple of IOS have been updated and required by other games which are not included in that updater? Also I have VC games which need to continue to work!

Thanks a ton for all your help!!!
    Yakomo

2. Yakomo
    OP

Newcomer Yakomo Member

United States
    Thanls for the fast reply. So there is still no need for updateing to 4.2?? [​IMG]

Anyway, Gecko OS 1.9.x found in Homebrew Browser, starts the game flawlessl. But I don't want my kids checking around in the HB channel and when he inserts the Disc in Disc Channel it still says "Need to Update Wii System" so he can not start the game like that., I don't have preloader installed, I have BootMii (in boot2) which was sufficient until now. Do I really need preloader just to disable Disc Updates and so he can play the disc normally, by disc channel or is there some other way?

3. Dr. Clipper

Member Dr. Clipper GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Actually, I now recommend a proper update to 4.2 in my tutorial. The Safe Updater I made with zektor works, but isn't really that current, and I don't have the desire of releasing another one.

The method in my tutorial is basically:[*]Update boot2 to boot2v4 with Dop-Mii.[*]Restore BootMii if necessary.[*]Use Nintendo's firmware update to get to 4.2 (by doing the boot2v4 bit earlier, you removed the danger).[*]Reinstall IOS249 and IOS222/223 if necessary using IOS250.It should be noted that just doing the first two steps is enough to make it so that Avatar won't ask to update any more (it's trying to update your boot2, not your firmware).

You can go with Priiloader or StartPatch as well, but both have opportunities for the kids to mess things up by playing around. Delete Dop-Mii from the SD card (or remove the SD card) after doing the above, and your Wii should be kid-proof.