Hacking Best way to see which channels and IOS versions that are installed?

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in learning a little bit more about the Wii and I'm wondering if a homebrew application exists that will show me all the titles (channels?) that are installed along with which versions of IOS are installed. (eg. IOS30 v215, IOS254 v1, etc, etc)

Finally, how would I be able to tell if an installed IOS is patched or not?

pika9323

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Anyregionchanger should show all (Channels)
You can check the version of the IOS with the Softchip Loader (press 1 before loading, select the IOS and he should show you the version).

Fakesignchecker should see if the IOS versions are patched.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I've wondered the same thing before too.
I think you can find out by dumping the NAND memory of your Wii, but maybe I'm wrong.
I haven't heard of any more user-friendly ways.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
perhaps AnyTitleDeleter or AnyRegionChanger, I'm not sure though, I remember having an app that did just what you want, but I'll have to go see if it's still on my SD card.

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat, thanks! I'll fool around with those programs later on when I get home.

I have one more question...

Do you only need the system menu ios to be patched to allow homebrew to run?

For example, System Menu 3.3 uses IOS 30. I'm guessing that the Homebrew Channel uses a fake signature but it uses IOS 36. (I think?)

Which IOS is checked and which one would need to be patched?

Also, what about if a game needed IOS 38? (eg. Animal Crossing)

Would that have to be patched too?

Sorry for all of the questions! I'm trying to read as much as possible on WiiBrew.org and these forums but it's a little hard to find this kind of information.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that most of Waninkoko's apps detects what IOSes are installed and uses the proper one that is needed, similar to how the homebrew channel detects which one to use. Animal Crossing won't run if you don't have IOS38 installed, but if it is installed, it will auto-detect the hacked version and use it properly.

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply again.

I'm still a little confused on the Animal Crossing example though.

If it uses IOS 38, why would I need it patched? (eg. why use cISOCORPs or whatever)

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't have to patch the game itself, IOS38 (or a hacked variant) just needs to be installed on your Wii so that when Animal Crossing goes looking for the correct IOS, it will find it and load it and run the game. If it doesn't detect the correct IOS, the game will assume you need a system update, which is stored on the game disc itself and attempt to install it. The regular IOS38 may also contain code to disable certain hacks, therefore you need a hacked version to allow your hacks to continued to function properly.

Just like how the Homebrew Channel needs a certain IOS (input output system) to run correctly, Animal Crossing also needs a certain IOS to run correctly (probably to enable support for Wii Speak)

Sorry, if that's confusing, I don't really know how else to put it.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sofakng said:
Thanks for the reply again.

I'm still a little confused on the Animal Crossing example though.

If it uses IOS 38, why would I need it patched? (eg. why use cISOCORPs or whatever)
you just need a patched version (eg. dip-module) of an ios if you want to load a backup of it on a non hardmodded wii right out of the disc-channel. sometime some ioses integrate functions the basis ios for most cioses (ios36) does not have (ios37 usb insturment support). therefor the only way to play certain games is to have "their ios" patched or to install an other cios with said functionality and redirect the game to load with this cios.

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh, OK. I'm starting to understand it a little more...

So, the chain of events is something like this: (?)

1) System Menu 3.3 executes under IOS 30.
2) Animal Crossing (from disc channel) is selected. Animal Crossing needs IOS 38.

Does IOS 38 perform the disc check (eg. to see if it's a backup disc, etc) or does IOS 30?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: