Hacking Best way to go with unpatched console on 6.2 ?

spiderjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok i bought a used and unpatched console with 6.2 on it.

1. I don't care about online
2. I DO care about a possible untethered exploit in the future (or is 6.2 too late anyway?)

From what I read I should:

- NAND Backup
- Boot CFW like ReiNX or Atmo and Update to 8.1 with ChoiDujour which should enable AutoRCM too
- Never boot up into OFW to not burn more fuses (should not happen with AutoRCM)

If a new exploit ever gets released for 6.2 I could go back.
Or is there no big difference between 6.2 and 8.1 anyway?

Reactions: Lacius and NoNAND

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
6.2.0 is likely too late to ever get an untethered coldboot exploit. It might be a warmboot browser exploit some day in the distant future. There's a good chance 8.1.0 will receive no new software exploits.

You're steps are exactly what you should do if you don't care about online play.

Edit: Use ChoiDujourNX to update, not ChoiDujour.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: NoNAND

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Basically, you answered some of your questions yourself haha.
Well, if you don't care about online play but wish to keep your number of fuses intact in hopes of ever seeing a coldboot/untethered exploit on <=6.2.0 consoles, you might have to set up emuMMC or simply update with using ChoiDujourNX NX and keeping RCM on at all times.
With that said, just in case you change your mind and would like to play online in the future I'd highly recommend you to keep a clean sysNAND for that matter and set up emuNAND instead.
emuNAND essentially is a 1:1 copy of your sysNAND that runs off the SD card partition as a separate system and environment.
Check out this guide.
On a last note, make sure to do a proper NAND backup via hekate BEFORE booting any CFWs onto your switch. While at it dump your keys as well.

Reactions: Deleted User

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't care about online, just boot up CFW and then update to latest with ChoiDujourNX.
In any other case, get SX OS or Atmosphere and create an Emunand, and keep Sysnand untouched.
It's important to note that the NAND backup is arguably the most important step.

Reactions: NoNAND

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: since you guys are so horny, who's up for smash or pass?