Best way to downgrade a drive from amd.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by kjb1686, Jun 21, 2012.

Jun 21, 2012
  1. kjb1686
    OP

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I tried 12.4 but had problems with framerates and graphics so i updated to the 12.6 beta they have, yet i still have the same problem. So what i want to do is downgrade from 12.6 to 12.3 because that is what i had before and everything was perfect. I have tried installing directly over it that didn't work, i tried uninstalling rebooting then installing that didn't work, i tried driver sweeper that didn't work. I also tried using it in safe mode and still nothing how should i go about downgrading.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    To downgrade, you need to fully uninstall the previous drivers, reboot, and run the installer for the version you want.

That's all I know, since I've never needed to downgrade in the past.

3. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I tried that and when i rebooted after installing the driver it says that the version is incompatible with my card but i know for a fact it isn't. I looked at the realease notes to make sure my card was supported and it says it is but when i try to install a previous version nothing happens.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    What model card, link to the release notes?

5. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Are you sure you downloaded the right version of the drivers ?

You might have downloaded the desktop version if you are on a laptop or the opposite.

6. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    This is the link i got the drivers from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx also double checked the release notes and it says under supported ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series which is my card so i don't think i downloaded the wrong version.

7. Rydian

United States
    Unfortunately you're a victim of the "We don't want to support the customer" game Nvidia and ATI play nowadays with laptop drivers.

They leave it up to the laptop manufacturer to take the reference driver, mod it, and provide updates.

8. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    But well heres the thing i just reninstalled windows on my laptop so before i did this i had 12.4 like now on there didn't like and all i did to downgrade the driver was install it over it. I have no idea why this isn't working now like it did last time i find this kind of odd, i mean it worked before and all.

9. Rydian

United States
    Some drivers are locked and you need to get them from the company that made the laptop, not AMD.

It's likely they didn't bother locking the 12.4 beta drivers since they're not release material.

10. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    Hmm that is kind of weird then i don't know why i have never had a problem installing previous versions before than, oh well looks like i will have to suck it up until amd decides to fix their drivers.

11. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
  12. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I am on a 64 bit os. I have tried every single possible thing i could think of trying to get this to downgrade but it wont work. This is becoming very frustrating and is one of the reasons i will never buy a amd anything again. The drivers alone for amd are almost a joke, they release something that is supposed to fix something only for something else to be broken by the driver.

13. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Wasn't the 4200 series laptop IGP? Same as the 3200 series?

14. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I have no idea all i know is the make of the card i don't know about that.

15. hatredg0d

Member hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    use something like "Driver Sweeper" in safe mode right after uninstalling the drivers, you might be surprised how many files amd leaves behind. Then install the drivers you wish. iv had many problems with the latest amd releases. if you dont use a third party tool the driver remains and is restored almost instantly.

If you dont know the make/model/type of card you have, you shouldn't really be updating it.
    Are you using a laptop as suggested above?

16. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    As i said in my original post i used driver sweeper both in safe mode and in regular mode and still doesnt work. I wish amd would release a actual functioning driver that doesnt break things.