Gaming Best way to downgrade a drive from amd.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried 12.4 but had problems with framerates and graphics so i updated to the 12.6 beta they have, yet i still have the same problem. So what i want to do is downgrade from 12.6 to 12.3 because that is what i had before and everything was perfect. I have tried installing directly over it that didn't work, i tried uninstalling rebooting then installing that didn't work, i tried driver sweeper that didn't work. I also tried using it in safe mode and still nothing how should i go about downgrading.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried that and when i rebooted after installing the driver it says that the version is incompatible with my card but i know for a fact it isn't. I looked at the realease notes to make sure my card was supported and it says it is but when i try to install a previous version nothing happens.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the link i got the drivers from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx also double checked the release notes and it says under supported ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series which is my card so i don't think i downloaded the wrong version.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately you're a victim of the "We don't want to support the customer" game Nvidia and ATI play nowadays with laptop drivers.

The Installation Verification Software will prevent driver download on certain notebook products. This is to protect against the installing of drivers that may disable features or functionality provided by the system manufacturer. If unwanted behaviors occur while using Catalyst Mobility, it is recommended to revert back to the driver provided by your system vendor for your specific platform. Please contact your system vendor for the most recent drivers for your notebook.

They leave it up to the laptop manufacturer to take the reference driver, mod it, and provide updates.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But well heres the thing i just reninstalled windows on my laptop so before i did this i had 12.4 like now on there didn't like and all i did to downgrade the driver was install it over it. I have no idea why this isn't working now like it did last time i find this kind of odd, i mean it worked before and all.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm that is kind of weird then i don't know why i have never had a problem installing previous versions before than, oh well looks like i will have to suck it up until amd decides to fix their drivers.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on a 64 bit os. I have tried every single possible thing i could think of trying to get this to downgrade but it wont work. This is becoming very frustrating and is one of the reasons i will never buy a amd anything again. The drivers alone for amd are almost a joke, they release something that is supposed to fix something only for something else to be broken by the driver.

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use something like "Driver Sweeper" in safe mode right after uninstalling the drivers, you might be surprised how many files amd leaves behind. Then install the drivers you wish. iv had many problems with the latest amd releases. if you dont use a third party tool the driver remains and is restored almost instantly.

If you dont know the make/model/type of card you have, you shouldn't really be updating it.
Are you using a laptop as suggested above?

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As i said in my original post i used driver sweeper both in safe mode and in regular mode and still doesnt work. I wish amd would release a actual functioning driver that doesnt break things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Wut.