Best to Flash?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Gumble, Feb 9, 2009.

Feb 9, 2009

Best to Flash? by Gumble at 3:47 PM (1,173 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Gumble
    OP

Newcomer Gumble Advanced Member

Canada
    So I got all set up to flash my 2007 manufacture date 360's Hitachi drive and it rrod'd on me.

Sent it back to microsoft, they send me a 360 that has a manufacture date of 2005, but has a lite-on drive. Is this odd, or no? I've look at an online drive database and none of the 2005 xbox 360's have lite-ons.

Long story short: I'm going to buy another to flash, what is the best one to get? As in best motherboard and best drive to flash. Thanks.

I don't know if this has been addressed or not yet, sorry if it has. I've checked around other sites and such but I find people here that are of similar skill and knowledge, and are basically easier to talk to.

2. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Why are you buying another 360 to flash?

I believe you can flash your lite on.

3. LordWill072284

Member LordWill072284 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    exactly you can flash lite-ons, i'm in atlantic canada, could do it for ya if want, website in my sig

4. Gumble
    OP

Canada
    I know, I just don't really want to flash this older xbox. I'm worried that I'll have more problems with it. It's rather noisy and gets hot really fast. I don't want to deal with having to send a flashed 360 back to microsoft. I'd rather pick up a drive that I could simply plug into my computer rather than having to solder points, and/or use other flashing tools.

5. LordWill072284

Member LordWill072284 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    yeh older 360's don't have the heatsink that the new ones do, i guess different places would have 360's just gotta find em - i was thinking the swap from lite-on to benq, but would still need to read the keys of the lite-on (solder/spear), hope ya figure it out [​IMG]

6. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    This sounds the same as a xbox that i flashed a few days ago.
    it was from 2005 also and had a liteon drive.
    I noticed the new warranty sticker so i asked the guy if he had sent it back to microsoft.
    sure enough he did and when i opened it up they put in a whole new motherboard (new type heatsink on the gpu, but not cpu!) and liteon dvd drive in his ancient casing [​IMG]

So i flashed the liteon for him and it was all good [​IMG]

7. Gumble
    OP

Canada
    I thought the motherboard might be changed, but I don't understand how they could do that when I keep my power bar and such. The difference between jasper and falcon power cables wouldn't allow for it to work. No? I really don't want to buy those things to flash my lite-on.

Is there any way to check the motherboard without opening it up?

8. Nottulys

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm super lost. I'm guessing the new 60gb cant be flashed?

9. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It doesn't matter on what Hard Drive the 360 has, It's the dvd drive that matters. Every 360 dvd drive is flashable.

10. Gumble
    OP

Canada
    Some are just more difficult that's all. But ya prime is right all types of drives are flashable.