Best slot2 for ripping?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Lassik, Dec 27, 2010.

Dec 27, 2010

Best slot2 for ripping? by Lassik at 4:35 AM (2,358 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. Lassik
    OP

Newcomer Lassik Advanced Member

United States
    What's the best slot 2 device for ripping games. I can't do this whole 2-6 hour ripping anymore.

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I have an old Supercard Lite, it works fantastic since it dumps to microSD.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Anything with DLDI is what you are looking for.

This probably means a miniSD EZ4- there is not much else out there in the DLDI capable GBA slot/slot 2 world these days aside from maybe an old supercards and those things were never good at GBA games.

Do note there are no public TWL (DSi capable games) compatible dumpers out there or at least ones that make scene grade dumps.

4. Lassik
    OP

United States
    So would I still use Wood Dumper for that?

How long does it usually take you to rip a game?

5. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    With Rudolphs tools or Wood Dumper, not even an hour long to dump a 256 megabyte rom, maybe 10-20 minutes.

6. Lassik
    OP

United States
    Is there a tutorial on how to do it? Do i just put the dumper on the Slot 2 cart and then the real game in the Slot 1?

If it's too much to explain could you just point me to a tutorial for slot 2 ripping? I see the one on this site for Slot 1 ripping.

7. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Lol thats a great deal. I paid 45 for mine brand new from Best Buy nearly 4 years ago.

8. Lassik
    OP

United States
    Do you have to use a custom dumper for that or does Rudolphs dumper work for it?

9. Lassik
    OP

United States
    I guess we'll see how it goes. I ordered the Max Media Dock and the Supercard Lite.

I got the Supercard Lite Rumble but from what I can tell it will work the same.

10. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Be aware that your SC rumble will do little other than run DS homebrew- GBA is nonexistent on that (it was always bad on supercards but that dropped it entirely- if you are already paying the money (I see them for mid $20 USD) you might as well have had the ability to play GBA). It can run a bunch of DS games although just about everything made since about mid 2009 will probably not happen.

As for a guide- run the dumping program (you might need to either run flashme on your DS or hope your DS slot device still has nopass functionality) and all the instructions are on screen.
    Rough order of events is load up homebrew, press button/get to the screen to say you want to dump (save options are there as well in some of these programs), you will probably have to eject and reinsert your game to dump, select where you want it to dump to and then press go.
    Times- depends on your DLDI (GBA slot stuff was never as highly polished/hardware enhanced as the DS slot stuff) and the speed of your microSD card (do note these GBA slot devices never had SDHC worth anything if at all). Saves are near enough instant and roms speeds will obviously vary with size. Suffice it to say you can usually watch the simple percentage bar (no decimal point) go up rather nicely.

11. Lassik
    OP

United States
    Ok so I got the SuperCard Lite Rumble and patched the newest version of wood dumper slot2 for it. It works perfectly and is SOOOOOOO much faster than doing slot 1 dumping via FTP.

I dump games in no time now.

Thank you so much RupeeClock for the suggestion!

12. Smash Br0

Member Smash Br0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Be aware that your SC rumble will do little other than run DS homebrew- GBA is nonexistent on that (it was always bad on supercards but that dropped it entirely- if you are already paying the money (I see them for mid $20 USD) you might as well have had the ability to play GBA). It can run a bunch of DS games although just about everything made since about mid 2009 will probably not happen.

So... The SC rumble is not the way to go... The SC Lite Rumble is the one to get for dumping games?

What about EZ Flash? I'd like to have a slot 2 device that can play GBA games and dump DS games...

A link to more specific info would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

13. Lassik
    OP

United States

A regular Supercard Lite would work fine. I just got the Supercard Lite Rumble because it was cheaper and available.

Just make sure you get something on this list so you can patch wood dumper.
    http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/

Here's the exact stuff I used.
    SuperCard Lite Rumble - http://www.realhotstuff.com/supercard-lite-rumble-p-135.html
    Wood Dumper Slot2 - http://nointro.megadrive.org/Wood/wooddumper_tools.7z
    DLDI Patch to patch wood dumper - http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/sclt.dldi
    DLDI Tool to apply the patch - http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downl...l-win32-gui.zip

Just a few notes if you go this route:
    There is no need to update the firmware on the card or install the software from supercard.sc on your computer.
    The SuperCard Lite Rumble does not use MicroSDHC cards just regular MicroSD cards. This is not really and issue though because you're not going to rip over 1gb anyways.

That's all just for ripping though... I wouldn't know about using it to play GBA games because I don't use it for that.

The SC Rumble and the SC Lite Rumble are 2 different devices though.

14. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Supercard lites can play GBA but GBA was never good on supercards (if you thought those DS slot emulators were bad these were much worse, alas the supercard GBA compatibility list has long since vanished from the internet but if you fancy a search through your chosen archives the link was http://www.rothmans.joskeonline.com/supercardsite/index.php

Anyhow yeah an EZ4 (do note not an EZ4 lite compact as they have limited GBA ability as well- all the other models of EZ4 are good) will do you proud and not really cost much more than a SC rumble. We have had a few threads around here recently on where to source them (stateside, Europe and HK) and other than that what Lassik just wrote goes for the EZ4 as well (although you will want an EZ4 dldi patch- all sorts of things included in http://filetrip.net/f4753-EZ4-Client-2009-04-03.html for that sort of thing.

15. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I use the EZ-Flash 3in1 for dumping and it works great. It can also play all GBA games.

16. Lassik
    OP

United States
    Which DLDI file do you use for that when patching? I have an EZ-Flash 3in1+ and i'm sure it'll use the same file. Either way it's worth a shot.

17. Fireballo

Banned Fireballo Banned

United States
    I picked up a Max MEDIA Dock for $1 on ebay and it works great.

18. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    i use the MMD for dumping games

19. Lassik
    OP

United States
    I bought a MMD and when I tried to use it it seems to require minimum FAT32 file system on the compact flash. When I tried to format it to just plain FAT it would not load. The reason for doing that is that wood dumper requires FAT to dump games.

You guys must use Rudolphs maybe? I haven't used it so I don't know what file system it allows.

20. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    strange mine works with 16 and 32 fat what size is you compact flash card ?