Hacking best slot 2 solution for DS to play GBA Games?

Terminatorn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Can I ask on what is considered to be the best slot 2 flashcard to run GBA on the DS Lite? Any help would be appreciated.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I ask on what is considered to be the best slot 2 flashcard to run GBA on the DS Lite? Any help would be appreciated.
Your options are pretty much
Everdrive $99
EzFlash Omega $40

I think the everdrive is better for a few reasons, but it's way pricier and probably not really 2x as good as EzFlash.

Reactions: Terminatorn

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
EZFlash Omega is an easy choice due to price and availability. If you have a Slot-1 flashcart you use, and you only intend to use the flashcart on a DS lite, the EZFlash 3in1 is also a good option if you can find it. It's managed from the slot-1 cart enabling (mostly) seamless loading of GBA games right from the slot-1 kernel. But it does lack some features of the EZFlash Omega, like the RTC (real time clock) and the larger PSRAM chip allowing for faster loading of 32MB games like Mother 3. Those would have to be flashed to the NOR flash on a 3in1 which takes longer.
I'd probably go with the EZFlash Omega. The difference between it and the more expensive Everdrive isn't big enough to be worth the extra cost IMO. It's 90% of the way there compared to Everdrive.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Terminatorn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Guys, thank you so much for the responses. I guess I will lean in with the EZ Flash Omega. How is the compatibility of it on the games?

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd argue the Everdrive is twice as good and then some. Build quality on the Omega is poor, and it suffers from issues with saves, and freezing. It also seems to be a train wreck of bugs every time they update the firmware.

Reactions: x65943

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd argue the Everdrive is twice as good and then some. Build quality on the Omega is poor, and it suffers from issues with saves, and freezing. It also seems to be a train wreck of bugs every time they update the firmware.
Eh, I haven't had any issues like that with mine....Unless you are restating old posts from people using v1.0 on their flashcarts, that doesn't happen anymore.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
better than Flash Omega?
Not even close. The Omega has way more features than the 3in1. The 3in1 requires a slot 1 flashcart just to get anything flashed to the NOR or boot GBA games in general (requires a slot 1 kernel that recognizes GBA games as well, like Wood R4 or AKAIO for example). Not every game is compatible with the device either. You can only use it with the DS Lite (leaving out the original DS, GBA micro, GBA SP, and GBA as well, all of which are also superb consoles). The EZ-Flash Omega works with every game I have personally tested. People claim it has issues, upon release yes it did, but the past few updates have fixed all of the issues people complained about, even if the issues still existed (they don't on my end) the kernel is open source, anyone can fix it. I personally have an Omega and it works flawlessly, I honestly have no clue how people are still having issues unless they one, do something wrong (most of the time people don't do research about it let alone ask), two, they don't update the device (then criticize when something goes wrong when clearly it could very well be the lack of attention the consumer themselves even gives to the device), or three, people just lack knowledge on anything related to homebrew, technology in some cases, and how things work in general. I have both the 3in1 and the Omega, it's not even a good comparison between each other because both work differently. 3in1 is meant for just the DS Lite and a slot 1 flashcart, the Omega works for the DS Lite, DS, GBA micro, GBA SP, and of course the GBA, no need for a slot 1 flashcart to use. The only benefit you get with the 3in1 versus the Omega is the rumble feature (which only works with compatible rumble games), you can find official Nintendo branded rumble packs online, some DS games came with them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup