Best retro gaming devices.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The JXD S7800 looks pretty good to me, has HDMI out and a bunch of other features.

(This review is kind of long and rambling but he does cover it in depth lol)

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xperia Play really should be avoided like the plague.It was one of those things that was hyped up until it's release, and then... nothing. The biggest, or more accurately, only splashes it ever made were the rumor articles floating around BEFORE its release. Xperia Play only piggy backed off the Playstation brand, and people were smart enough to not buy into it. All the Xperia essentially is, is an outdated Android 2.3 phone with a dedicated gamepad in place of a keyboard. Its not anything special that something like the Moga Pocket hasn't already perfected with current-hardware phones.

PSP really is as perfect as it gets for retro gaming. You get the same, if not better emulation support than GCW Zero at a third of the price, with 7+ long years of homebrew/plugin support.
Native PSP games (7+year library), and support for TV out with the right $10 cable, and a far superior screen size/quality. It also supports memory card sizes up to 64GB with the right adapters. 64 GB on PSP is far more useful than 4+GB on GCWZero. PSP 1xxx to nearly all the 2xxx series can be perm-hacked/flashed last I read, but the later 2xxx models to PSP Go models have their workarounds.

In my opinion PSP is still the 2nd best handheld option in all of mobile gaming right now, even if I havent touched mine in 2 years. Its sheer size of library and practicality of it's customizations makes it just as good as a 3DS+Vita combined, despite its aged hardware.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go for a PSP2000 just so you dont have to worry about any of that weird 6.60 stuff. I think it comes out on top of the 3000 anyways and keeps the go from 1000s.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It also supports memory card sizes up to 64GB with the right adapters. 64 GB on PSP is far more useful than 4+GB on GCWZero.

Let's not forget that it's possible to have 2 64GB micro SDs in a dual slot adapter in order to have more than 100GB of space. That might be an overkill, but some people (like me) could easily fill the PSP with ISOs and ROMs.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The impresion I have is that JDX seems like a better choice but I still lean towards GCW....it also looks like it has more bullshit.
JDX looks exactly like a thing that... would make me want to play GCW

Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up!

I personally love my JXDS7800B (and not just because of the catchy name ;)) precisely because it's also an Android tab (I guess that's what you mean by 'has more bullshit'?) - I can be playing chess one minute, watching a movie the next, write a quick email, then rip into a game of Daytona, or New Super Mario Bros next. Plus Sega is pretty good with supporting the in built controls so Sonic 1, 2 and 4 run beautifully.

Mind you, I justified the purchase as I needed a new tab and it was around about the price I was planning to pay for one, anyway. I couldn't justify purchasing a dedicated gaming device. But then again... there isn't a dedicated gaming device around that matches the JXD for power. So yea; the only thing the GCW has 'going for it', as far as I can tell is the incredibly low resolution - which retro purists seem to believe is a "good thing"

The only issue with the JXD -and it is a big one- is that a handful of users have received units with some pretty bad operational defects... and there seems to be zero support from the resellers and manufacturer when this occurs. Though I understand the GCW isn't without its problems too

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's not forget that it's possible to have 2 64GB micro SDs in a dual slot adapter in order to have more than 100GB of space. That might be an overkill, but some people (like me) could easily fill the PSP with ISOs and ROMs.
Can it do 128? I know some of the firmwares supports theoretical sizes up to 2TB, but I didn't think the hardware itself was XC compatible. I thought 64GB was the max due to 2x32's still being classified as HC.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can it do 128? I know some of the firmwares supports theoretical sizes up to 2TB, but I didn't think the hardware itself was XC compatible. I thought 64GB was the max due to 2x32's still being classified as HC.
Let's clear up some confusion here.

First PSP communicates in MSPD mode. PSP does not understand a thing about SDHC or SDXC. It treats whatever was in the memory slot as a MSPD card.

These microSD adapters that people were using uses a bridge chip to convert SD signal to MSPD signal. These adapters are flaky. If you are lucky you could find one that can accepts 64 GB per slot.

As far as SDHC vs SDXC is concerned, there are two version of SDXC: 3.0 and 4.0. 3.0 is merely SDHC + exFAT, while 4.0 is a completely different format that breaks backward compatibility with SDHC. If the card you are using is rated at UHS-1, then it is a 3.0. Anything faster than UHS-1 is 4.0.

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
Xperia Play really should be avoided like the plague.It was one of those things that was hyped up until it's release, and then... nothing.

There are plenty of Xperia Play optimized games in the Google Play store, and 6 PlayStation games available. You can also play Playstation Mobile games on it, from the PSN store.

It can be found cheap on Ebay, and is better than most of the cheap Android game systems available. The only complaints are the size of the phone, and the 'analog' sticks; It's too thin to be held comfortably, and the analog simulation pads are useless.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does anyone know hows the battery on the PSPGo. People are saying mixed things about it.
I use a go as my main portable emulation system, just more comfortable to hold than a phone+controller.

At a guess I'd say about 4 hours with an emulator and 2nd lowest screen brightness, which is still really bright in a dimly lit room.

Emulators for 8 bit systems are normally fine with the PSP CPU clocked at 222mhz, 16 bit I'd normally go with 333mhz which does mean a bit shorter battery life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.