Best retro gaming devices.

ThemBats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was doing a little reaserch on this subgect and now am very interested, and it seems will have to buy another device.
At first I thought that NDS is a good console for emulation but now I discoverd that there are devices that are specifacaly MADE for this stuff, and that there is a HUGE community that supports it, which is very cool.
So more specifically I found two devices that sound interesting:

1. GCW-ZERO(which Foxi4 sugested)-Which seems like a very cool thing. It's an open source gaming device that plays everything exept PS1(It tehnically plays PS1 but not very good(yet) as I understand) and N64, and has a TV and HDMI output, and Joystick support.
2. JDX-I don't quite get what it is yet but it looks like it's more powerfull and has better emulation support including PS1 and N64, even PSP.

The impresion I have is that JDX seems like a better choice but I still lean towards GCW.
Even tho JDX is more powerfull and has more emulation(Which is kinda important in a "Retro gaming device"), and other stuff...it also looks like it has more bullshit.
What I want is a dedicated quality gaming device that runs games from past generation consoles and GCW looks exactly like that but JDX looks exactly like a thing that... would make me want to play GCW...I dont know...

I would really like to hear what you guys think.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
yes,
a hacked PSP is also a good "Retro gaming device:"

it has emulators for most classic system, and they run them very well
runs PS1 games very well
there are many good PSP games also

and
with the psp's Component AV Cables, 2000s and 3000s can games can be show on a tv

the PSP also play music videos and can view pics

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yes, a hacked PSP is quite better than a PSP-Mode hacked Vita. Better compatibility, you get sound with PS1 games, and you can keep access to the PSN store.

You would want a PSP 2000/3000, those were the "better" models out of them all.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The PSP Go would be fine, but do note that the screen is smaller than the other PSP models and there is no "permanent" CFW available for the Go, you have to reapply the CFW each time you boot the PSP Go.

EDIT: I should note that I'm referring to 6.60, 6.20 does indeed have a permanent CFW version for the Go and the 3000 series.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
i have a 3DSxl w/dstwo, PSP, and a GCW0; all full of emulators, games, and homebrew.
<3 'em all

For the moment I'd recommend getting a PSP, as its been around and has loads of excellent emulators, and most PS1 games run awesome on it.
Then save up and get a Zero, too. It's a fairly new device, but a powerful lil machine with a growing library and lot of potential, and an active dev community.

ThemBats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"The PSP Go would be fine, but do note that the screen is smaller than the other PSP models and there is no "permanent" CFW available for the Go, you have to reapply the CFW each time you boot the PSP Go."

Well that sucks, maybe even more then the UMD.

It's wierd that I made a thread about these "retro gaming machines" that were specifically made to play games from many different past consoles and the best choise is still sony's PSP from like 2005...

EDIT:
Also is there a use for the UMD besides the UMD's.
I know I should ignore this but man... thats the only thing I really hate about PSP's...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UMD drive is there for UMD contents, this can be PSP games or UMD movies.

Having UMD drive means you can make clean dump of PSP games on your own.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

ThemBats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so... GO and 3000 models that have 6.60 FW can't be permanently hacked without downgading, which need's a second PSP and is a bit riscky. While the rest of the PSP's can be easily downgraded(doesn't require a PSP?) and have a permanent CFW?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ok so... GO and 3000 models that have 6.60 FW can't be permanently hacked without downgading, which need's a second PSP and is a bit riscky. While the rest of the PSP's can be easily downgraded(doesn't require a PSP?) and have a permanent CFW?

You don't need another PSP at all to downgrade. Originally you would've needed a Pandora Battery, which is a PSP battery that's been modified to boot the PSP into service mode, but nowadays there are software downgrades you can perform from 6.60->6.20. See here http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp.293978/ , there's a spoiler titled "Downgrading a 6.60 PSP to 6.20", check that for more info.

It seems our PSP section is a bit of a mess in terms of hacking, Rydian's threads seem to contradict each other at certain points...

ThemBats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So it doesn't matter which PSP you get you'll still be able to hack it, that makes it easier.
Now it's just about the hardware and it seems that PSP GO kinda kicks ass. It has better quallity display, no UMD, an option to attach a ps3 controller, 16Gb Memory.
The only downside is the screen size. Is it comfortable for the eyes to play like snes games and is it comfortable to hold even if I have big hands?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1