StrayGuitarist May 11, 2019.

1. StrayGuitarist
    OP

StrayGuitarist GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Pallyfornia
    Howdy, all.

So, I've been thinking. I'm looking to run DS backups (Primarily Pokemon Gen 4, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS and a few others.)

I was originally thinking about just buying a flashcard to run on my 3DS, but I was also looking at a few other options. Primarily, getting a used DSi and modding it with HiYACFW + Twiilight menu.
    As I was researching my options for that, I also thought about buying a used 3DS (since I wouldn't wanna mod the one I've had since launch, for weird sentimental reasons) and running Twiilight, or something similar if there's an alternative for 3DS.

I also would really like to play these games over Wiimmfi, which I've already got working with official games on my 3DS.

So, out of these options (Modding a 3DS or a DSi, or if neither of those would work for this, just buying an R4 or something) which is the best?

Thanks in advance!

2. edo9300

edo9300 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    Italy
    Twilightmenu works the same on both DSi and 3ds, so if you plan to buy either of those anyways, then the best option is to go for 3ds, as from the homebrew point of view, it has the same features as a dsi+it's a 3ds. For the flashcard, depends, the bootstrap still hasn't a 100% compatibility (for example bowser inside story still doesn't work), and some homebrews still have issues on running from the SD card as they were made with only flashcards in mind

Last edited by edo9300, May 11, 2019
    StrayGuitarist likes this.
  3. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Keep in mind that DS games don't look very good on the 3ds screen

4. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    From personal experience the best image is on a DS Lite. Also if you find the picture too stretched out on a 3DS you can always hold select (?) while booting the DS game to make it run in native resolution, this looks weird on the touch screen though. Also if you ever want to play GBA you can do so with the DS Lite without problems.

In my opinion, you can't really go wrong though with any solution. At least if you have a 3DS you'll be able to enjoy all systems and their multiplayer games since you have two.

Still the easiest and quickest solution and possibly the cheapest is to just buy a flashcard for your 3DS and use that for your games.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  5. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Bowser's Inside Story works, if patched using kinder_bueno's AP patch.

6. StrayGuitarist
    OP

StrayGuitarist GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Pallyfornia
    I haven't really had issue with the way they look on 3DS (I've been playing Pokemon B/W on my 3DS recently), so I can easily get past that. Plus, I have the same GBA SP I had as a kid for all of my GBA needs, so not a problem to me there.

That's probably the route I'll end up going down. Once I have some more money set aside, and once the homebrew scene progresses a bit, I'll look into the other options more.

Zense likes this.
  7. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    You can play GBA on the 3DS anyway.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted