Homebrew Best Game Boy / Color emulator?

• Thread starter nWo
  • Start date
  • Views 18,769
  • Replies 20
  • Likes 1

nWo

The Game Master
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey all.

I grew up with the Nintendo Game Boy and later, color. I loved them and keep playin´ every now and then.
On my 3DS I got no problem running these games but, as you must know, installing them in CIA gets a limit... and there are a few hundreds of these games so, I was a bit full....

I was thinking to try an emulator. Already got Gameyob, wich is good and all but with a few problems with sound etc. Is this the best emulator out there? Or wich one should I try?? To run them perfectly, if possible.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all.

I grew up with the Nintendo Game Boy and later, color. I loved them and keep playin´ every now and then.
On my 3DS I got no problem running these games but, as you must know, installing them in CIA gets a limit... and there are a few hundreds of these games so, I was a bit full....

I was thinking to try an emulator. Already got Gameyob, wich is good and all but with a few problems with sound etc. Is this the best emulator out there? Or wich one should I try?? To run them perfectly, if possible.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.
as far as i know there really isnt much of a good emulator for 3ds since VC injection is a thing

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gameyob DSi version is the most accurate, but not a great solution if you want to scale up past native resolution.

mGBA handles GB/C games pretty well. I particularly like filling the bottom screen because its exactly double the pixels horizontally and looks pretty clear, if a bit stretched. More like the game gear aspect ratio. However there's hardly any low-pass audio filter and some games have audible pops and crackles.

Gambatte on retroarch seemed a bit more accurate than mGBA, however it tends to crash on me when loading states.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

NoNoNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's funny, I was looking to put a GBC emulator on my 3DS yesterday :) . The one I like the most right now is mGBA, but I used Gameyob wayyyy back when the first homebrew was coming out for the 3DS and I really liked it then but Idk about now.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note that the latest mGBA release (0.63) may have fixed some sound issues. I was getting crackling in Shantae before when transitioning zones, now it is gone. However super gameboy (donkey kong) also stopped working for me for some reason...

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
This question is still relevant. How come the DS got better and more polished GB/GBC emulation than the 3DS? Is Retroarch Gambette the best alternative in 2020?

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Retroarch Gambette on a New 3DS is overwhelmingly my choice for best GBC emu on the system. Filters, rewind, fast forward, save states, and excellent sound and graphic quality.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It isn't a standard nds, but a dsiware nds convertible to cia, no forwarder needed. If you grab the latest gameyob for nds, the cia is already there in the same zip archive.

This version runs at enhanced twl speed and runs smoother than the pure 3ds version, which never was optimized. It doesn't scale to fullscreen however.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It isn't a standard nds, but a dsiware nds convertible to cia, no forwarder needed. If you grab the latest gameyob for nds, the cia is already there in the same zip archive.

This version runs at enhanced twl speed and runs smoother than the pure 3ds version, which never was optimized. It doesn't scale to fullscreen however.

the links on the post here are dead, and on github i found only the source code. no zip, no cia, nothing i can use

edit: also, i get 55-60 fps. Is it really worth the trouble? how much better could it work?
edit 2: with filters it drops to 50fps. I suppose that could be improved but i dont need filters that bad

Last edited by placebo_yue,

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
thanks for the trouble. I installed that and my gameyob is still the same, and does upscale to fullscreen. So i dunno what's going on there.

nevermind im an idiot it took a while to show up on my home menu. IT HAS SGB BORDERS THIS IS AMAZING NEWS. i'm totally in love with SGB borders and the 3DS version didn't allow them or they worked like shit.

thank you!

Last edited by placebo_yue,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is mGBA still the only one that can use gyro controls for Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble?

Best use for Game Boy emulation there, I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2