Best Free Antivirus?

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth mentioning that the free version of Malwarebytes is really an on-demand scanner, so you're going to need either AVG or Avira to (hopefully) automatically keep things out.
As for which on you'll use it all depends on your preference. On one machine I have Avira and the other AVG and they both seem about equal. It's not a good idea to have more then one passive scanner in use at a time either, so make you use only one and that Windows Defender/MSE aren't enabled.

At the bare minimum you should use Ublock Origin and disable Java, but if you really want to go full secure/paranoid, use a hosts file, browse only via Sandboxie, disable Java and Flash, use Ublock Orgin, NoScript or UMatrix, Disconnect, Ghostery, and HTTPS Everywhere.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For myself, I just use AdBlock Plus's malware filter and ClamAV. For customers, I just set them up with Malwarebytes and Avast with hardened mode enabled and some other tweaking.

jastolze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you're looking for Real Time Protection, but if you're satisfied with one Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware, I would give HerdProtect a shot. It uses all ~60 top notch anti viruses and scans your PC/Mac with them, and it tells you if the file is detected by a couple, it will let you know if it's most likely a False positive.

It doesn't come with RTP for obvious reasons but if you're overly cautious like I am, Herd Protect is for you. :)

P.S: It needs to be online for it to scan and remove any malicious files, and is by no means it's own Anti Virus. I'd personally go with Avast or Norton.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't use anti-virus, since I use common sense. If I am about to download something I research the site I am downloading it from. If I don't know if it's a virus or not I will just go with it, since most things are not virus infected. In the past 2 years I have only needed to run Malware Bytes once.

Reactions: Seriel

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use anti-virus, since I use common sense. If I am about to download something I research the site I am downloading it from. If I don't know if it's a virus or not I will just go with it, since most things are not virus infected. In the past 2 years I have only needed to run Malware Bytes once.
Lol you're that guy who has like 20 trojans

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's possible to get viruses no matter how much common sense you may have. Javascript exploits, Flash exploits, injecting malware into legit sites through ads are just a few examples. It's relatively rare, but it does happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo