Hacking Best Flash Cart for a 3DS and a DSL

jakejm79

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am about to by my sons a couple of flash carts for Xmas, one has a DS Lite, currently has an old R4DS in it, but it only supports 2GB cards and it isn't always recognized on boot up. My other son has a 3DS. Since I was gonna buy a new one for the DS Lite I figured I would pick up a pair of them.

I understand that 3DS ROM playing is still not possible (but maybe in the near future?).
I was thinking a pair of Acecard2i's? Since they seem to have frequent updates and we have no need for GBA emulation (there are several GBA's around the house too). So it would only be the better build quality of the DSTwo that would be of appeal. Or maybe some kind of R4DS?

Is there anything else that I should consider. The 3DS does get updated frequently so I would like something that gets frequent software updates
Wishlist would be has follows:
1. Game compatibility
2. Software update frequency
3. Price - I know I could probably get a card cheaper for the DS Lite, but I would like to just get two of the same card since I then don't have to worry about checking two websites for updates.
4. Build quality

Thanks.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
check out the r4i gold 3ds update by the .cn team.

supports the wood firmware officially so you got compatibility and frequent updates covered. price is right, around $10-18 ea depending on where you shop.. maybe cheaper. build quality is really nice, its basically a clone of the r4 ultra (made by acekard).

check the gbatemp review here: http://gbatemp.net/t293386-r4i-gold-3ds-compatible-review

-another world

jakejm79

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I will check out the R4i gold, I am familiar with the wood firmware since it's what I run on the R4DS I have now.
So just so I'm doubly clear. There are two types of firmware/software.
1. the firmware built into the card (this is what needs to be updated to get it to run on new 3DS firmwares, updated by running a .nds file
2. the launcher software (wood in the case of the R4i) that determines the compatibility with the games and is just updated by copying files to the mSD card.

Any reliable places to purchase from, I'm in the USA.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1: Yes, this part is the responsibility of the cart's team and will usually only be provided by their official website (though sometimes there are mirrors to help archive this).
2: Yes, the launcher software such as Wood is the kernel, though sometimes is mistranslated to also be called firmware or just called that by mistake.

Realhotstuff (R4i Gold link @ RHS) is a really good in-USA vendor, but if you don't mind waiting on a China-based shipper since you already have an R4DS, I can link you the exact items that I bought to test (and I wound up using one as my main cart). The 7-day with tracking DHL express shipping wasn't very expensive for me either, it was $8 for a ~$50 order (the items were all very small though).

..snip..

I received them all, and though I didn't order these items for RHS, I felt I should add the results of my order. For the record, I ordered from Lightake.com on Nov7 (and chose DHL express shipping).

Tested:
DSi System Firmware Ver. 1.4.3U (DSiWare Shop is accessible, this is the current up-to-date US System Firmware 11/14/2011)
3DS System Firmware Ver. 2.1.0-4U (eShop is accessible, so I think this is the current up-to-date US System Firmware 11/14/2011)
Game used for testing was Kirby Mass Attack.

- www.r4ids.cn Gold 3DS (in light plastic clamshell package with TF reader): working without any flash updates.
Current kernel is Wood 1.39b (Link) -- Current game header is a little angel's Halo & Wings icon (a Japanese game from DORASU)

- www.r4idsn.com R4 3D Revolution for DS (in small cardboard box with TF reader): working without any flash updates.
Current kernel is Wood R4idsn 1.39 (Link) -- Current game header is SpongeBob 's Atlantis Squarepantis THQ
Ordered from Lightake (http://www.lightake.com)

Description:Newest R4i Gold Revolution for 3DS DSi DSL NDS, Item #:36776 , Note: Lead Time: Typically 3 to 7 calendar days from ordering
Unit price:$10.51 USD
Qty:2
Amount:$21.02 USD

Description:R4 3D Upgrade Revolution for 3DS/DS/DSL/DSi/DSi XL/LL, Item #:36808 , Note: Lead Time: Typically 3 to 7 calendar days from ordering
Unit price:$10.23 USD
Qty:2
Amount:$20.46 USD

Since I made that post, downloadable firmware updates have been made to both carts to accommodate 2.2 System, the header for this on the r4idsn.com cartridge is a Japanese Spongebob game. I happen to be using that one as my main cart just because I like the sticker better, but they are of equal quality IMO.

------
Edited for providing the links I intended.

For what it's worth, I also have a Supercard DStwo, but I never liked the interface as much as AKAIO/Wood skins. All the extra features aren't worth it for everybody, but the DStwo IS very nice. I only use it for homebrew & emulation. The Realtime Save/Cheat/Guide menu is the best unique feature for DS games if you're considering getting a nicer cart.

As far as recommendations for AK2i, although I really like Acekard, they have not provided the 2.2 System compatibility bootloader yet and I think it's a bad idea to recommend AK2i to 3DS users because R4iDSN & Supercard have been a lot faster than Acekard team for some time now, in that respect.
Final edit: Furthermore, since build quality is important to you, Acekard2i carts have been notorious for exhibiting contact issues, and I experienced this myself. In contrast, the R4iDSN carts I have are even a little sturdier than the R4DS carts I have, they are just as sturdy as the DStwo I have.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But it's a dead end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, people who cant download it can still play the game
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If your internet speeds are fast enough. Streaming 4k takes alot. I used to only have 20mb sec, and 4k struggled. Now I have 300mb sec and 4k plays fine.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT-Cy-hap_Q