Best drive replacement chip for GameCube?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by BlueLemming, Jan 20, 2013.

Jan 20, 2013
  1. BlueLemming
    OP

Newcomer BlueLemming Member

United States
    I'm working on a GC Portable and I'd love to be able to remove the disc drive. However, the WiiKey Fusion has been discontinued and the XenoGC doesn't eliminate the disc drive. Anybody know of any chips that will let me run off of an SD card?

I've ordered a Wiikey SD Card Adapter (http://dx.com/p/wiikey-sd-card-adapter-for-wii-3993) but I've been told I'll need a boot disc in order for that to work, so that's unfortunate.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Get a 3rd party Wiikey Fusion, I haven't had a problem with them yet. Other than Wiikeys and WODE, I'm not aware what else is tested working.

3. BlueLemming
    OP

United States
    Where did you get yours?

4. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    I would use a WODE, but it has a lot of unneccessary hardware so a 3rd party Wiikey Fusion like dilav said is probably the cheapest option.
    The WODE has USB as well though, so you could in theory have a built in 1.8" HDD in your portable and get much more storage space than with a SDHC card, and still have the SDHC slot in case you want to use that as well. This is what I'd probably do if i was making a GC portable. Looks like you can get 1.8" HDDs up to at least 250 GB, this would be plenty of space for all the GC games you want.

5. BlueLemming
    OP

United States
    Yeah the WODE isn't really in my price range :/ unless I could get just the chip and USB adapter for a cheaper price. I've tried googling WiiKey 3 and WiiKey fusion 3rd party and I can't find anything at all