Best DJ MAX game?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Devante, Apr 4, 2011.

Apr 4, 2011

Best DJ MAX game? by Devante at 11:14 AM (6,130 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Devante
    OP

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    Which one of the DJ MAX games is the best to you guys?

Just trying to get into one and seeing if there is like a general consensus of one version being the best.

2. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    it's partially up to people's music preferences, and difficulty varies between the different games.

if you're just beginning i'd recommend starting with DJmax clazziquai edition.
    it has the easiest "story" mode(unless you get the season 2 expansion as well)
    don't mistake easiest with boring though, clazziquai is the only game where i managed to beat the story mode.
    it has a simple 2 button mode as well, to get used to the game.
    story: club tour(go to a club, beat some challenges, go to next club)

next up is DJmax portable 3 because it uses the newest engine.
    smoother video's, and remix mode with extra lanes on the sides.
    one added difficulty point seems to be that speed builds up faster in fever than in the other djmax games..
    story: mission mode(unlock missions as you lvlup, and beat them 1 by 1)

DJmax black square is good too, it uses the same engine as clazziquai but it's more difficult.
    missions are harder, no 2 button mode, fever goes up to 7x(other games have a limit at 5x)
    story: club tour

3. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    I like Black Square most. Awesome songlist, and the songs are really fun to play (for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdZLAbQAesk)

DJMP3 is decent, remix mode is kinda fun but the songlist is pretty meh.

4. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    the first one i played is the Portable 2 and i say it's the most fun.
    i heard clazziquai is the easiest but i never tried it. and im about to try Portable 3.
    black square is ok but it doesn't really leave the kind of impression i get from the
    others.

5. slayerdx

Member slayerdx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    does anyone know which works on which driver? Cause my dj max 3 still won't work on pro-b4. Also the learning curve on this game is steep. I was playing dj max hot tunes. and It goes from just learning how the game works to like throwing you in songs that are so hard... still on 4 buttons, and getting by butt owned

6. Devante
    OP

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    They need specific cracks for those games.

7. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    DJ Max Black Square Clazziqai were my favorites. Best songs in my opinion.

8. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    DJ Max Trilogy was easily the best. Around 120songs in total, all from most of the DJ Max games. Online play with lobbies, and the most unlockables available throughout the series.

Are we not counting the PC DJ Max Game? 2 is probably your best bet then. Not too easy nor too difficult, it challenges the players without being overwhelming. Overall a good track list, and never feels repetitive.

Black Square was much harder, but it kept the "auto-correct" that people hated. It made the game a lot easier that way. It's club tour mode is impossibly hard at times as well. The tracks are just as good as 2, if not better.

3 was easily the worst game in the series. Almost zero new songs, unimpressive remixes (Did I also mention that remixes are over half the entire selection?), least songs in the series (At only 40 songs in the tracklist), and the weakest tracklist by far. The gameplay? Remix system is nice, but it isn't good enough to carry the whole game. The mission mode is laughably easy compared to every other games as well. Due to being unable to unlock any new songs until you hit around level 30 (And even then, you MIGHT unlock a song. It's purely by chance), the game will feel extremely repetitive with it's small track selection.

9. badnat

Member badnat GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't understand how people can like Clazziquai over Portable 1 and 2 if for no other reason than Clazziquai has a really crappy framerate. The first two games feel smooth as butter by comparison.

Portable 3 looks nice and doesn't really have the framerate problems of Clazziquai, but the mechanics feel weird. You can't just willy-nilly play notes when pressing the buttons, and the individual sounds sort of cut out permanently when you miss long notes... I dunno, I feel like I have less control when playing. Also, the song selection is poor.

I haven't tried Black Square, mostly because it has that auto-correct "feature" which I want to avoid...

Hot Tunes is a good compilation of the first two Portable games and doesn't have the auto-correct crap that Fever and BS has... but I am not really liking some of the challenges (though I'll admit I'm far from the best player in the world, lol).

10. slayerdx

United States
    doesn't hot tunes have the auto-correct? it's if you select the character right?

11. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Clazziqai has NO issues with framerate for me. It's an improvement in graphics quality in every way.

I agree though, 2 WAS magnificent, I just liked Clazziqui also. Black Square has Auto-Correct as you call it but it's needed at a lot of points. those songs get HARD. AS. HELL. Like, they want you to 99% Son of the Sun on 6 Button FX? ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!?!?

Once you are no longer a noob and don't miss any you have no reason to hate Auto-correct, since you don't use it when you hit them all right anyways. [​IMG]

And yes, actually, Hot-Tunes DOES have Auto-correct.

12. badnat

United States
    From wikipedia:
    "The Auto-Correction feature (in which any button can be used to hit a note), introduced in Black Square and used in Fever and Trilogy, has been removed."
    From a review:
    "One thing that’s good about the game though, there is no auto-correction."
    From a random forum thread:
    "does Hot Tunes still have auto correct?" --> "No"
    And, finally, from my own experience... it does not. [​IMG]

As to Clazziquai's framerate problem... it's not in anything but the notes themselves. They sort of flicker slightly, or just don't progress in perfect smoothness down the screen. After a while you don't notice I guess... but immediately coming from the first two games or Hot Tunes it's pretty obvious.

13. bnwchbammer

Member bnwchbammer GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Clazziquai was certainly fun.
    I've only played Black Square and Clazziquai.
    I personally never had any frame rate problems.
    (At least nothing compared to Project Diva, but that's another story)
    I think I liked Clazziquai more for the songs, but I'd certainly recommend both of them.

14. Sebastian

Member Sebastian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I prefer DJ Max Portable 2, because it has all the popular songs i loved.
    And, there is a DJ Max 3 but it is not release yet so the latest is the 2

15. badnat

United States
    Portable 3 has been out for a long time, and Portable 2 has not been the latest for about three years.

16. slayerdx

United States
    Wow, I think DJ max series is one of the new series where when i encounter a new mission, i'm content with just getting a B and going on. Every other game i strive for the S or A rank