Best CRT for PS2/Genesis?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Lockstar91, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Lockstar91
    OP

Lockstar91 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    Hey everyone,

EDIT: Ended up going for an upscaler and waiting for the OSSC to be released again.
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

Last edited by Lockstar91, Nov 24, 2016

2. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    I belive ps2 you could try composite and any converter to keep the Image good in a small lcd monitor as well. But I dont understand about it enogh to say what works and if works.
    And you could try emulate the genesis games with filters.

3. Lockstar91
    OP

Lockstar91 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    Using composite helps very little at all. Nothings going to make it look good on a HD screen, let alone 4K....

Rather get a CRT for $50, then bad impersonations such as emulators. Sure they are great, but they don't even compare to the actual look/feel of a console. Only reason I'd run an emulator is if I can't get my hands on the certain console and or travelling.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway :)

Last edited by Lockstar91, Nov 6, 2016
  4. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Sony PVM with RGB inputs. Those are generally small and good quality.

Other than that, I'd just grab whatever I could find with RGB scart and no geometry issues.

Lockstar91 likes this.
  5. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Get a PVM and run that shit through RGB. If you want an alternative I hear the Framemeister/OSSC are do very well.

Lockstar91 likes this.
  6. Lockstar91
    OP

Lockstar91 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    Actually I was thinking about the framemeister, but it's way to expensive. Would there be a cheaper alternative?

Starting to think maybe I should skip on a CRT, as I'm not a fan of clutter and have a simplistic setup...

7. MockyLock

MockyLock Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2011
    France
    if you look for good CRT, go for Sony Trinitron WEGA.

slaphappygamer and Thomas83Lin like this.
  8. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Most people suggest a good, professional quality monitor like the PVMs and BVMs, which are going to give you the best quality possible, at a price.
    I honestly prefer the look of consumer Trinitron TVs with component input, but it's a very unpopular opinion.

9. kapapt

kapapt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Portugal
    Framemeister/OSSC are the best options, 300 and 150£ respectly, but i'm having the same issues than you and i'll buy the video converter (only does upscaling from scart to hdmi) for 20/25€ to git it a try... i know that is not the best option, but is the cheaper and maybe suites for me.

Lockstar91 likes this.
  10. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    The OSSC is a good alternative that costs around 170USD(or 150ish euros) which is good compared to paying around 300 USD for the XRGB mini framemeister. The only problem is that the OSSC won't release a new batch until early 2017 and the models produced before that don't have HDMI audio so they need to be plugged into external speakers or headphones. This is a good video in case you'd like to weigh some other options

Last edited by Daggot, Nov 8, 2016
    Lockstar91 likes this.
  11. kapapt

kapapt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Portugal
    @Daggot the only thing that is not very clear to me is the lag issues.

For example, i'm thinking of buying this:

i know that is not good comparing with Framemeister/OSSC but it soo bad that is not posible to play on my uhd tv?

12. Classicgamer

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Perhaps pcsx2? Looks quite nice..

13. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    What a nice static bright white text you have in your signature.
    - old-school composite video for life /s

14. Lockstar91
    OP

Lockstar91 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    Today I drove by a 30' Sony Trinitron what was sitting on the curb in almost perfect condition (Bulk rubbish month). Was going to pick it up, but I just can't see something like that in my house it's just way to large/bulky.

I'm starting to think OSSC is my best option, but then again I heard it doesn't output HDMI and doesn't support full 1080p upscaling?

Last edited by Lockstar91, Nov 8, 2016
  15. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    No Idea about the 1080p bit but people usually just convert DVI to HDMI. The problem of sound is that the fact that the OSSC does not support digital audio but here is an email I received in august about the issue. In the end it all boils down to how long you're willing to wait vs how much you can spend vs how much space you're willing to give up. Personally I have an ok tier CRT and was once in the market to get a higher quality one but if the OSSC gets digital audio integrated I'm making the switch. If they don't I might install the audio add on board.

oh and here's a good write-up on the thing They have some materials on other alternatives as well on their website and a good review of the framemeister.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ossc.html

16. Lockstar91
    OP

Lockstar91 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    I'm not prepared to laydown $300 for the framemesiter. But if OSSC get the audio upgrade their talking about, I'd pay $150 and wait until 2017.

Do you know where I can keep tabs and or purchase this next batch of OSSC? Also do I ask for the audio upgrade or is it preinstalled for 3rd batch?

Thanks alot for the help :)

17. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    I don't know if you can get one now because OSSC has been sold out for weeks sadly. I have no idea if it'll be included with the 3rd batch but I suspect it might. They haven't said much about the audio upgrade board either so we won't know when or how to order it until the time comes.

You can keep tabs via the mailing list.
    https://www.videogameperfection.com/newsletter/

Lockstar91 likes this.
  18. Lockstar91
    OP

Lockstar91 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    Thanks man, hopefully something happens soon otherwise I'll keep my eyes out for a 2nd hand framemiester.

Appreciate the effort/help!

Daggot likes this.
  19. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    For a Genesis, is a good CRT with RGB a must.
    Becase on a LCD HDTV those 16bit gfx look like shit (I tryed it by may self)

And for the PS2 those PS2toHDMI converters works well for the most games.
    Some games like Soul Calibur 3,Puyo Puyo Fever looks really good on a big ass led tv ;)

20. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    That tv weighs about 350lbs! Lol