Best cart for GBA SP

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by TVippy, May 23, 2013.

1. TVippy
    OP

TVippy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Sorry, if I posted in the wrong section.
    Bought a GBA SP (of iQue variety) recently and plan to buy a flashcart for it. What's the best one currently? EZ Flash IV or V or even Vi? Or something else? I'm only interested in the maximum compatibility, speed, reliability, ease of use and not at all in additional features (homebrew, audio/video playback).
    Thanks. :)

2. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
  3. TVippy
    OP

TVippy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    I feel like such an idiot for selling EZ FLASH iv for 20 bucks a long time ago. Now I will have to spend at least 40 on it.
    But I won't be able to play GBC games natively with it? (only via emu?)

4. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
    yes. only via emu (goomba color ).

PS:this thread should be moved to the right section

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If it plays GBA games and is not a supercard or cyclo card (team cyclops, they of the cycloDS, started out making a supercard clone) it probably plays near everything, a few GBA vintage ones and a handful of later ones added RTC support but most things that had it have patches.
    The EZ4 is getting quite rare but it represents the best bet for a general use GBA card.
    The EZ5 is a DS cart and the EZVi is not the EZ6 as the Roman numerals might indicate but the DSi (and later 3ds) compatible versions of the EZ5. There is an expansion pack with the long form name of the EZ5 3 in 1 (most will call it the EZ3 in 1, the 3 in 1 or something like that) but we do not suggest them for GBA use unless you are using it with a DS or DS lite.

There are some better GBA carts (the actual EZ3 and larger EZ2 carts, some M3 stuff and maybe some G6 stuff) but they are all rare as anything and quite expensive on the two or three times a year people do find them. Actual GBA era carts are also quite fiddly (they will all tend to want windows XP or a VM with it in) where the DS era stuff was "run things through a basic program and point the output at your SD card". You might occasionally have to patch the games (Real time clock for things like pokemon being one of them) but most will come in IPS format and be easy enough to add.

Pretty much the only five things you will find these days for GBA usage are
    EZ4 -- best bet
    Supercards -- not worth the hassle as far as I am concerned. GBA games are pretty easy to get running if you put the hardware in, Supercard did not and paid the price because of it.
    Fire cards -- you could make a case for getting one but it would be as an extra card if you already have a good GBA card.
    Some old neoflash gear -- I have been meaning to have a look at some of these as they are rebadged GBA vintage cards on occasion and could represent something nice.
    The EZ 3 in 1 -- great if you have a DS slot device to manage it, not so much otherwise.

Edit yes it will only be via goomba/goomba color but they work pretty well actually and as long as you are not going in for LSDJ and need ultra accuracy or something you can get most of it done.

Count Duckula likes this.
  6. TVippy
    OP

TVippy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    FAST6191, thanks a lot for such an elaborate reply. I concluded that I need to find an EZ IV. :tpi: But yes, it seems to be incredibly hard to find.