Hardware Bending Wii Screen - Top Only

Milas60

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had this problem for a while and haven't really thought about using the forums.

The top few rows bend and flicker to the left leaving a blank space on the right. Some screens are fine but most aren't. I noticed that it happens more when there is a bigger presence of white. I have used Connect24 back in the day all the time, when no one really knew about the overheating issue. I'm afraid this falls under the GPU artifacting but I didn't see any other reports like this yet.

The system is not under warranty anymore and have enough skills to fix it myself but I need to know what exactly is the problem, any ideas?

I also tried to play with the video connection in the back but no luck.

Wii1.jpg
Wii2.jpg
Wii3.jpg

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever done anything that could have caused this? It could just be faulty connections. Maybe get new cables?

Also, are they component cables? They may affect your Wii.

Milas60

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-It is happening on more than one TV..

-No, running on composite cable.I think it could be the cable... The only thing I did that I can think of is Connect24 for a few months... ( During Winter)

-I have messed with the widescreen settings but it is present on both ratios

gameboy13

Orange and fluffy since 1995.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Milas60 said:

-No, running on composite cable.I think it could be the cable... The only thing I did that I can think of is Connect24 for a few months... ( During Winter)

Try using different cables.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Milas60 said:

Hmm... Connect24 runs on very low CPU, so it will never do damage to your Wii (mine has been on Connect 24 since 2007).

The only that I can say is that either your cables have degraded, or your Wii's external output is degrading. Sorry...
frown.gif

Milas60

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help guys...
I think I will try to get a new cable and try that...

If it is the output modulator- can it be replaced or is it part of the GPU?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Milas60 said:
Thanks for the help guys...
I think I will try to get a new cable and try that...

If it is the output modulator- can it be replaced or is it part of the GPU?
Ermm... I don't know, exactly. I've never opened my Wii, but I'm assuming it is part of the GPU.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
Hmm... Connect24 runs on very low CPU, so it will never do damage to your Wii (mine has been on Connect 24 since 2007).
But WC24 is known to cause artifacts. I had my Wii since early 2008, and I have a problem with artifacts (miscolored pixels).

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Slyakin said:
But WC24 is known to cause artifacts. I had my Wii since early 2008, and I have a problem with artifacts (miscolored pixels).
Really? My Wii Screen is still pristine and clean since the day I got it! :/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Slyakin said:
Milas60 said:

The only that I can say is that either your cables have degraded, or your Wii's external output is degrading. Sorry...
frown.gif
Actually, that's how all the Wii GPU artifacts happen. The Wii gets hot when off and WC24 standby connection is on, it's actually better to just leave it on 24/7 than use the standby connection. Some things won't work at all without it though (weather/news channel, and I think the Smash Service on SSBB)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
DeadlyFoez said:
sorrycostello said:
Actually, that's how all the Wii GPU artifacts happen. The Wii gets hot when off and WC24 standby connection is on, it's actually better to just leave it on 24/7 than use the standby connection. Some things won't work at all without it though (weather/news channel, and I think the Smash Service on SSBB)
QUOTE(DeadlyFoez @ May 31 2010, 10:17 PM) P.S. I have NEVER used WC24 on any of my wii's and I have one that has some artifacts. They aren't too bad where it's unplayable but I notice them.
Bullshit. I even had a wii once that straight out of the box it had artifacts but I did not give a shit because back then there wasn't such a huge community to ask people about it and everything else still worked perfectly fine.

(Keeping in mind, I've owned like 6 or more wii's in the past)
You're bullshit. Of course there's exceptions, but gfx artifacts due to WC24 is a known problem and is the only one you keep hearing about online. Fact.

And referring to the original poster, I don't think your problem is related to the GPU. Looks like it's the TV. I've seen TVs behave like that before.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
deadlyfoez is right. It's not the ONLY way artifacts appear, but it's one of the more common problems.

cry.gif
There's no possible way I can fix my Wii...
frown.gif

Milas60

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a LCD TV. I first got the problem on a CRT but now I have a LCD and it's still doing that.

The Nintendo forum said that it was a GPU degradation and that I need to send it in...

Now... I'm well versed in hacking the Wii, just not un-hacking it... What would you guys suggest for taking all the tickets off of the console for repairs.

Any Title Deleter? Any way to see all tickets present on the console without hoping that I deleted them all.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bootmii boot2 can be uninstalled using bannerbomb + hackmii installer after formatting, avoiding the need for bootmii IOS and eliminating the risk of a brick.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wasn't saying using the formatter isn't a bad idea, although I doubt a formatted nand looks *exactly* like one from the factory (for a start it would be missing all the factory test titles from uid.sys which is a dead giveaway for haxx) there's a good chance it would pass their homebrew detector since it appears to only check for a few specific titles and fakesigned stuff.

I was saying using bootmii IOS to do the job is unnecessary, bootmii boot2 can be uninstalled without installing any homebrew on the newly formatted nand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again