Being very overweight.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
When i see a person who is very overweight who is young too, first that comes to mind is what happened or didn't happen that person that made them become so overweight?

This thread is more to get an understanding why someone might gain so much weight its not a bashing or weight shaming.

One thing i hear is genetics, which i believe and most science research confirm unless its a very rare disease. most people should be able to lose weight with good diet and exercise.

Sugar is the number one enemy of the human race imo. not a country which your government leaders said or what was written in a book how many years ago.

your thoughts?

Last edited by Flame,

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In two people I've known, family was the primary factor for them; frankly family is my primary factor as well, I'm underweight myself. An unhealthy upbringing encourages an unhealthy lifestyle.

Last edited by Ricken, , Reason: i didn't put a period at the end of my sentence and then i read it and felt incomplete so i had to fix it

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
The food is the big part of the problem as well as other factors of course. Convenience food is designed to be as addictive as possible while at the same time supplying massive calories but not much nutrition. This is why you have very overweight people who are actually deficient in all sorts of vitamins and other things despite eating loads. This is the first time in history that the poorest people are generally the fattest. People are lazy, do not want to cook, take no exercise, are addicted to all sorts damaging sugars and fats and underestimate how much they actually eat. Drink also plays a big part in it, be it soft drinks, sugar loaded smoothies, starbucks or just plain alcohol. People are obsessed with drinking tons of horrible shit that just makes everything worse for them and makes them get huge.

Last edited by p1ngpong,

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Being a healthy weight and maintaining it is hard work, that's why the vast majority of people are not.

*Goes back to my ice cream*

So how did people manage it for years upon years upon years. now with the tech which you can track your calories and knowledge on how much to walk a day. but in the last 50 years the human race is too good for some hard work.

I'm not talking about getting a eight pack or looking like Henry Cavill or Chris Evans or being bit overweight. im talking about people who are 5'7 who weigh 200kg.

D

Deleted User

it can heavily factor with genetics. I myself have the opposite end of the spectrum. (under weight) I can eat a fuck ton of crap. and maybe only put a pound on. And it's genetics within the family since my mother (before I was born) and my grandfather had the same issue. Once under weight, it's a pain in the ass to actually get normal weight. So I wouldn't be surprised the opposite end of the spectrum applies

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
it can heavily factor with genetics. I myself have the opposite end of the spectrum. (under weight) I can eat a fuck ton of crap. and maybe only put a pound on. And it's genetics within the family since my mother (before I was born) and my grandfather had the same issue. Once under weight, it's a pain in the ass to actually get normal weight. So I wouldn't be surprised the opposite end of the spectrum applies

genetics which make you overweight is very very rare. unless you have Bardet-Biedl syndrome and Prader-Willi syndrome.

Reactions: x65943
D

Deleted User

The other day I saw this very overweight child being fed pizza by his very overweight looked to be grandma. I feel sorry for him he will have to correct the problems for himself created by others. Not that there's anything wrong with pizza for a kid occasionally but I had no reason not to assume he gets to eat whatever he wants all the time.

I don't have kids and won't be able to but if I did I would make them exercise and even lift weights. Some people think of lifting weights as big heavy weights that only Arnold can lift no just weights to keep your bones strong. I believe anyone age 14 to age 80 should be doing some kind of strength training. How you look in the mirror is only a small part of the entire reason it makes your mind stronger and stronger bones means better overall health against every disease. It really is worth it even more than doing cardio which I also do but if I could only do one it would be weights.

D

Deleted User

and also depression effects people differently. Some cases depression makes people eat more. In my case, depression severely suppresses my appetite.
Only recently have I actually entered a weight just barely normal. I was under weight by 17 pounds for about 7 years.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Really speaking obesity is a multi layered issue. Since depression, finances, location, family ties, and genetics all play a role.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
So how did people manage it for years upon years upon years. now with the tech which you can track your calories and knowledge on how much to walk a day. but in the last 50 years the human race is too good for some hard work.

I'm not talking about getting a eight pack or looking like Henry Cavill or Chris Evans or being bit overweight. im talking about people who are 5'7 who weigh 200kg.

People were far more active back in the day, physical jobs were more of a thing for most people unlike now. They didn't have all of these distractions that we do now that just eat up all of your time, sitting in front of a TV or computer for hours was not a thing. Food was better and less processed, it was more nutrient dense and not designed to be addictive as fuck so people actually felt satisfied after they ate.

Also have you ever seen a show called secret eaters? It is pretty interesting and there are lots of episodes on youtube. All of the people who go on the show insist they barely eat a thing but they get followed and have cameras in their house and stuff. Absolutely all of them eat like pigs pretty much all day long and they are oblivious to it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm obese, so what do you think about me? I weigh about 248lbs at 5'9" or 5'10". I've been treated like shit in the ps3 scene, so I eat sometimes.. I now exercise with a trainer, whom I see tomorrow in fact. I don't look fat, I have big arms from weight lifting in the past.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I'm obese, so what do you think about me? I weigh about 248lbs at 5'9" or 5'10". I've been treated like shit in the ps3 scene, so I eat sometimes.. I now exercise with a trainer, whom I see tomorrow in fact. I don't look fat, I have big arms from weight lifting in the past.

what do you mean what i think of you?

i think you are a great guy. even better that you are trying to improve yourself. :)

someones character is not based on they weight.

Last edited by Flame,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
images

I love foid and I was overweight when I was 11 years old, so I've been there.
I have my own thoughts.
For instance, that HOME&HEALTH show about fat people always shows traumatized people. For instance, women who appears on the show have gone through a raping and men are abused guys.
So before shaming someone for it's weiggt, be sure to know it's past because you never know what they've gone through.

On the other hand, guys like this fucking disgust me:

I mean... yes, I'm prejudging this ***hoke, but I don't feel sympathy for people tgat acts like him and I would certainly fat shame this guy.

Then you have people whom are inactive and yet, they keep eating (unhealthy) food... those are fat because they want.
But they have the power to change their situation, the only thing they need is the will to do so.

Reactions: Flame

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Women who have PCOS can suffer quite badly from being overweight. Not only does having PCOS cause weight gain its also scientifically proven that it takes women with PCOS 4 times as much effort as women who don't have it to lose the weight.

D

Deleted User

Yeah to clarify if someone is overweight I am not judging them nor am I thinking they're lazy or any of that. However, someone who has been classified as overweight myself I believe you are wasting potential to be your best self with the right training. I have practically no stress anymore and my health is better than ever, and I just feel good about myself. Also I eat more than ever before yet I have more muscle and less fat than before. But I know weight lifting is not only not for everyone and there's people that do it inefficiently or just don't have to knowledge to do it properly. I got advice from people and have done a ton of research myself online.

Last edited by ,

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others have pointed out, there's no one reason for it. If I had to take a shot at the biggest reasons, I would say the overabundance of sugary and fatty foods, and food in general, combined with the massively declined rates of physical exercise due to loss of manual labour and such. If most people did just a bit more exercise, it would help to counter the shit quality food we eat by quite a lot. Luckily, it's starting to be trendy to be fit and muscular again so more people, mostly young people are working out and making an effort to stay healthy.

Obviously, genetics does play a role as well; I am 6 foot, around 11 stone/70kg and probably eat more than most obese people. I have a very fast metabolism and it's so fast that I'm very resistant to the cold and feel the heat. I just produce so much extra body heat. It's a pain in the arse in the summer but I'd rather it be this way than be prone to getting overweight. Just like it's more than possible for me to put on weight in the form of muscle from working out, it's more than possible for people who put on weight easy to lose weight and keep it in check. You just have to be prepared to put the effort in. Blaming genetics and letting yourself die at 55 from heart disease is easy, but staying healthy and living until 85 requires work.

Reactions: gamefan5 and Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Yeah to clarify if someone is overweight I am not judging them nor am I thinking they're lazy or any of that. However, someone who has been classified as overweight myself I believe you are wasting potential to be your best self with the right training. I have practically no stress anymore and my health is better than ever, and I just feel good about myself. Also I eat more than ever before yet I have more muscle and less fat than before. But I know weight lifting is not only not for everyone and there's people that do it inefficiently or just don't have to knowledge to do it properly.

i agree with everything you said 100%. welcome to gbatemp bro.

I too do weight training and love it when ever i can.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Variety of things, some already covered.

"I have a condition" is a possibility but so vanishingly rare that it gets to be a joke, unless it really is Tourettes of the elbow. It is often also somewhat distinctive.

Some of the cheapest food is so laden with sugar and fat to make up for a lack of taste. Same for drinks which really piles it on if you are not careful, never mind going full American and going with actual fizzy drink as more than a treat. On the flip side if you are working all hours to provide for the kids then preprocessed crap which gets given instead is similarly laden. Fail further and fail to do portion control for said kid and... yeah.
Many of the cuts of meat eaten are also all but devoid of some quite necessary nutrition -- muscle meat is tasty if you can't cook well but you do want some nice organs and connective tissues (never mind the utter insanity that is cutting the fat off) which take a bit more effort to cook properly .
Eat enough of the sugar and fat and your body comes to expect it (whether you want to think you are at the behest of the bacteria in your digestive system or not is up to you, however the evidence is there if you want to go looking at fecal transplant long term results and comparing donors). This makes for a nice vicious circle.
Most people work in offices or boring things today, as opposed to trades and factories, and don't really walk anywhere either (in the US you might even struggle to walk anywhere courtesy of town planning). This goes for kids, which have the added problem of mediocre PE* and "OMG the world is scary for kids so keep them inside**" (this despite it being one of the safest points in history, medicine never better, and kids abducted off the street by strangers is dozens of times less likely than it being a relative to touch them in their no no square).

*when various militaries and medics note that the kids can't run and gain injuries otherwise associated with old people and completely unfit people then yeah.

**would someone let their 10 year old go down the park today? Once standard, now probably not even frowned upon but actually not unheard of for it to have the authorities called on you in some otherwise safe places. What about "come back when it is dinner time/street lights turn on/dark"?

Some have noted the habits of grandparents, parents and beyond, as well as early childhood, also play a role. Studies here on places in deepest, darkest nowhere (Norway being of the more interesting -- https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-an-1836-famine-altered-the-genes-of-children-born-d-1200001177 ) wherein if crops failed one year then you go hungry and the results for children born in famine vs not years being fun. This in addition to those knowing how to cook, or indeed not, being more limited than it might previously have been. What goes for this one I don't know -- surveys are a bit more limited and unreliable.

Start fat and you will probably also stay that way -- between said gut bacteria and millions of years of evolution saying "food is gonna get rare, gobble all you can while the going is good, don't use energy unless you have to" it does take a serious effort and actual physical pain. You also have the added bonus of perhaps never knowing anything else (I had a cold a few years back that knocked the wind out of me so to speak and saw me get out of puff that week running up some stairs and climbing some hills that the weeks immediately before and weeks after were fine... was horrifying) and also it is noted if your peers/family are fat then your chances of it also rise (divorce rates, smoking rates... many things are "socially contagious" for this one, though causation and correlation is a hard one to unpack here even if my gut, pun intended, is not going to go pure correlation for this one -- you eat like shit and deem it acceptable to be fat and it will rub off).

Reactions: gamefan5 and Flame

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: shit like goku mui and beerus and other dbs stuff lmao