Being very overweight.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is a good example actually. It's not the kids' fault, they learn eating and dietary habits from their parents - kids don't cook or prepare meals or count calories or make schedules - and if they get fat it's not the kids' fault, it's their parents. And it makes no sense to criticize the kid for something out of their control, when we should smack such parents upside the head for bad/lazy parenting instead.

Yeah, the fault lies solely on the parents. I wasn't blaming the kids, they're kids.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
This is a good example, actually. It's not the kids' fault, they learn eating and dietary habits from their parents - kids don't cook or prepare meals or count calories or make schedules - and if they get fat it's not the kids' fault, it's their parents. And it makes no sense to criticize the kid for something out of their control, when we should smack such parents upside the head for bad/lazy parenting instead.

The country, community, how rich or poor you are very important too. Just compare Japan to the USA, both wealthy nations.

Japan is at 5% while the USA is at 36% https://data.worldobesity.org/rankings/

Yeah, the fault lies solely on the parents. I wasn't blaming the kids, they're kids.

If they were kids who were brought up like that? Who didn't know how to change when they become an adult from what they were taught as a kid? Which is the problem of the modern US these days.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
The country, community, how rich or poor you are very important too. Just compare Japan to the USA, both wealthy nations.

Japan is at 5% while the USA is at 36% https://data.worldobesity.org/rankings/

If they were kids who were brought up like that? Who didn't know how to change when they become an adult from what they were taught as a kid? Which is the problem of the modern US these days.
I think I commented this on a simillar thread before. I went to Vancouver in 2019 for two weeks. I walked a lot and I gained weight in those two weeks. Food have so much more callories (and carbs for that matter) than in Europe. It's harder and more expensive to buy non processed food.

If I'd live in North America I'd sure be overweight.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to be more positive in life, but I also cannot deny reality. I want to be compassionate, but also try to help people make better decisions.
I think "fat acceptance" is one of the worst ideas ever. There is no way anyone can argue that being obese increases your health risks.

Societal definitions of beauty will always exist. No way around it. Most societies do not deem being fat to be sexy. Trying to FORCE people to view something they find to not just be unacceptable, but repulsive, is wrong. Can't force people to like something.

You can't try to punish someone for not liking fat people. Being fat is a choice, and some people simply don't respect other folks who can't put down the fork, and that's OKAY.

If you want your body to be respected, understand that society DOES have beauty standards, and don't get mad at the WHOLE WORLD because you chose Twinkies over a treadmill, and because of that, no one wants to smooch.

If it's a problem YOU caused, and it only affects YOU, it is not society's burden to coddle you and make you feel better about your own personal decisions.

You can choose your taste buds and weak will, or a healthy diet and an attractive body. You can even have both if you work hard enough.

JakeO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to be more positive in life, but I also cannot deny reality. I want to be compassionate, but also try to help people make better decisions.
I think "fat acceptance" is one of the worst ideas ever. There is no way anyone can argue that being obese increases your health risks.

Societal definitions of beauty will always exist. No way around it. Most societies do not deem being fat to be sexy. Trying to FORCE people to view something they find to not just be unacceptable, but repulsive, is wrong. Can't force people to like something.

You can't try to punish someone for not liking fat people. Being fat is a choice, and some people simply don't respect other folks who can't put down the fork, and that's OKAY.

If you want your body to be respected, understand that society DOES have beauty standards, and don't get mad at the WHOLE WORLD because you chose Twinkies over a treadmill, and because of that, no one wants to smooch.

If it's a problem YOU caused, and it only affects YOU, it is not society's burden to coddle you and make you feel better about your own personal decisions.

You can choose your taste buds and weak will, or a healthy diet and an attractive body. You can even have both if you work hard enough.
Yep! A lot of folks I know have a beer gut, 'cause all they do is hit their 9 to 5 and then lay on couch for rest of the day. Meanwhile I'm there hitting the gym 4 times a week, practicing target shooting and hiking(not a pro or anything, just putting my old hunting Beretta clothing https://gritroutdoors.com/beretta/ usually and hitting nearby trails on weekends).
Exactly this. It's fine if you choose to live this way, just don't force me to like it, simple as.

Last edited by JakeO,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been cleaning my dad's farm which he just accumulated garbage (thankfully it's not that much) and canes, lots of canes. Organized it and I'll place them in a hole it's there though that's tough work just for one man, my back hurts, but it's worth it. A few hours each day gets it done.

Also got to cement the entrance so when it rains it doesn't become mud.

And since my father's side (brothers/sisters) are a bunch of jealous dickwads I'll add a fence in the back so they don't step in to private property that isn't theirs. It's not mine, but since I use it, might as well take care of it.

Why am I typing all this? It's good exercise. I weigh 196lb (89kg) and want to slim down to my default 176lb (80kg).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been cleaning my dad's farm which he just accumulated garbage (thankfully it's not that much) and canes, lots of canes. Organized it and I'll place them in a hole it's there though that's tough work just for one man, my back hurts, but it's worth it. A few hours each day gets it done.

Also got to cement the entrance so when it rains it doesn't become mud.

And since my father's side (brothers/sisters) are a bunch of jealous dickwads I'll add a fence in the back so they don't step in to private property that isn't theirs. It's not mine, but since I use it, might as well take care of it.

Why am I typing all this? It's good exercise. I weigh 196lb (89kg) and want to slim down to my default 176lb (80kg).
Any chance you'll possibly inherit?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance you'll possibly inherit?
It's possible, but not doing because of inheritance. It was just really, really dirty and unorganized and I hate that.

The whole jealousy thing is just childish and immature so better off not talking to them nor see them. Sometimes strangers are better than family.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only time I was overweight was when I was on several different medications, one of them in particular made me rather chubby and others made me extremely skinny.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

EchoStorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing that affects my weight more than anything else is the amount of time I spend at home. If I make a point to go somewhere everyday, even for just an hour, I stay in much better shape than if I just hang around the house all day.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed