Been out of the scene

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ruby Gloom, May 23, 2016.

1. Ruby Gloom
    OP

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    Hello. :) Just recently, (Less than 2 hours from this post.) I bought a N3DS XL. And as the title states, I've been out-of-scene for quite some time. Please don't bash on me, I know hundreds of threads already exist. I want some help from our users to help me out with what's currently the best option of downgrading. This is a 9.9U N3DS XL. KTM was cancelled, I've been out of it, and overall I'm lost. I have a gateway card and I'd like to set up my SD card to downgrade to 9.2 and set up the ability to use GW EmuNand. I recently lost all the data on the SD card, so, it's a nice, fresh start. Anyone care to run me through the SAFEST way to downgrade to 9.2? Please don't be mean, I don't want to risk this device.

2. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    At this point you'd be better off following Plailect's guide and setting up a9lh. You can stop after downgrading if you want though: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Because this is a brand new device, you won't lose anything by formatting it, so do that before downgrading, I suppose. It should be fine either way but better safe than sorry.

3. Ruby Gloom
    OP

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    I've been hearing of this a9lh thing and I'd like to ask what method of booting EmuNand it uses if you don't mind?

4. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    a9lh is an exploit that lets you run arm9 code (needed to run CFW) at boot, this means that you get a stock-like boot (100% boot rate, stock boot speeds). It also means that no matter the firmware version it will work, so you can completely ditch emunand if you want.

5. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    A9LH is the masterrace, emunand is for...people who are lazy now.

emuashui and nxwing like this.
  6. GamingAori

GamingAori GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    The a9lh currently doesn't work with the Gateway so wie recommen you to use Luma3ds instead which is a free, easy to use cfw

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I still use emunand on my A9LH installation :)

Safety before anything.

Hayleia and emuashui like this.
  8. Ruby Gloom
    OP

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    If my sysnand bricks, I'm screwed. I don't like the fact it uses the SysNand. :l But you said I can if I want. Everything to set up all this is on that page? I have my NNID unlinked from the old system and I'm basically ready to redownload all my stuff after it.

9. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    You can unbrick the SysNand since A9LH loads before the OS loads. It's amazing.

10. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Honestly, that's what I used to do mostly out of fear, I eventually switched to updated sysnand and used emunand for testing shit out given that they can be easily created or deleted.

emuashui and VinsCool like this.
  11. GamingAori

GamingAori GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    You can unbrick it easily. So is safe too. Only use the guide after this you have a Bruck protection

12. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Well, that isn't a problem on a9lh as even if CTRNAND is bricked you can still restore it as you run D9 before firmlaunch. That being said you can still use EmuNAND on a9lh, but there's little reason to.

13. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    The ONLY reason I would see a person using EmuNand with A9LH, is if they are a developer, and they want a safe-to-use area to test their exploits, homebrew, or whatever the hell they're doing.

Other than that, it's sort of pointless.

14. Ruby Gloom
    OP

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    I'm kinda confused... I just want to downgrade to 9.0 or 9.2 and use MSET like my old 3ds. I really am not interested in modifying the SysNand or using an EmuNand that is child proof or anything that won't work with GW.

15. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Like I said earlier, follow parts 1 and 2 of the guide for now then.

nickwhit likes this.
  16. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Gateway should release a new update with A9LH soon, so that's coming to everyone.

17. Ruby Gloom
    OP

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    But then I'm stuck and can't use my 3DS... I want to finish this today and play some MK7. :/

18. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    If you just need to downgrade follow parts 1 and 2 of the guide then set up Gateway however you do that. Although mine (and many others) recommendations would be to go for arm9loaderhax (especially because like @VinsCool said GW will release an a9lh compatible payload soon), it's certainly not required.

19. xIce101x

xIce101x Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2014
    United States
    downgrade to 9.2 and install menuhax and have it autoboot gateway. Thats the best option for you if you want it to be done quick

20. Ruby Gloom
    OP

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    Is GW EmuNand completely safe with a9lh...? I'm (NOT) looking forward to a brick since getting ahold of a 3DS in my region is a pain in the ass. (And expensive as hell.)